||This article possibly contains original research. (December 2009)|
|This article may contain inappropriate or misinterpreted citations that do not verify the text. (June 2015)|
|History of cross-dressing|
|Modern drag culture|
|Passing as male|
|Passing as female|
Pinaforing, also called petticoating, is a type of forced feminization that involves dressing a man or boy in girls' clothing. While the practice has come to be a rare, socially unacceptable form of humiliating punishment, it has risen up as both a subgenre of erotic literature or other expression of sexual fantasy.
There is some evidence that "petticoat punishment" has occasionally been used as a form of discipline, with credible stories of such going back at least to Victorian times. "Petticoat punishment," as a sexual fetish interest, involves imagining or reenacting this scenario. However, as a fetish interest, these activities are usually heavily exaggerated and sexualized, including elaborate humiliation and public nudity. They often involve the male being feminized into a sissy by a powerful female presence (often a mother or aunt) in front of his cousins, sisters, or in some cases, girls of his own age whom he had offended by his boorish behavior.
Petticoating roleplay may include being forced to wear makeup and to carry dolls, purses, and other items associated with girls. Sometimes, boys were made to perform tasks that they considered to be "girls' work" and to appear in public in girls' clothing with their mothers, who occasionally dressed in matching outfits. Some people claim that for the mothers, pinaforing sometimes had a sexual context, and many mothers who disciplined their sons in this fashion either had long wanted daughters or found it erotic to feminize their sons.[not in citation given] In addition, according to the folklore of people with this condition, this type of castigation is found in the history of some of those who later develop transvestic fetishism.
Petticoat discipline also occurs in the context of some marital relationships, as a means by which a wife may exert control over her husband. This may involve various items of feminine clothing or underwear in a variety of contexts, ranging from the husband having to wear a feminine apron around the house whilst performing household chores, to the wife insisting that the husband wear a brassiere on a full-time basis under ordinary male clothing. In all such circumstances, there is a strong reliance on the element of humiliation, whether actual or potential, should the husband's secret be discovered.
This fantasy/roleplay revolves around being forced to, under threat of corporal punishment, public humiliation or another erotic humiliation activity. Afterwards, the victim sometimes finds out that he/she actually enjoys said punishment, and becomes more "feminine," polite and controllable. He is then often forced to wear an article of girl's clothing permanently until a certain age, or until a role-play scenario is finished. Somewhat related to CFNM. Such activities on a child is considered extremely questionable, and mentally dangerous.
Often, there are specific themes for said petticoating. Often, petticoating revolves around the "little girl" aspect in which the submissive/child is forced to act like a little girl. Other scenarios include Infantilism and Sissy Maid.
Clothing often incorporated include:
- Nail polish
- Pinafore (often in the style of a French Maid)
- Dress (often extremely short or revealing, often with lock)
- Skirt (often a mini/micro skirt)
- Shoes (often Mary Janes or heels)
- Choker (close fitting necklace)
- Mittens (no fingers)
Stella Gonzalez-Arnal of the Department of Philosophy at the University of Hull sees pinaforing as a "politically incorrect form of sexuality" in which "women's clothing and women's traditional occupations" are regarded "as inferior and humiliating; reinforcing undesirable stereotypes by characterising females as submissive, passive, helpless and subservient". She adds "I will argue that petticoating is a politically ambiguous form of sexuality which can have positive readings. I claim that it can be educational and therapeutical and that it can subvert our notions of masculinity and femininity.".
Petticoating a child is illegal in many Islamic states. It is considered highly immoral to punish a child in this fashion, but still exists in many of the Commonwealth states in a small extent as a legal practice as long as the child is not being sexually abused. The thin line between petticoating and child sexual abuse has been a serious factor in petticoating, and has at least one occasion, led to a child sexual abuse charge.
Petticoating as a sexual-roleplay activity is generally considered legal, with the exception of going into public in an obscene fashion, causing public disturbances or indecent exposure.
A number of erotic novels of the Victorian period contain accounts of pinaforing.
In Gynecocracy: A Narrative of the Adventures and Psychological Experiences of Julian Robinson, by "Viscount Ladywood" (1893), the author recounts his punishment as a boy at the hands of the governmess to whom he is sent, along with three female cousins, after taking indecent liberties with a household maid. Forced to wear girls' clothing as his ordinary attire, Julian, as Julia, is subjected to frequent flagellations, as are his cousins, one of whom he later marries, submitting to her dominance through continued forced feminization and crossdressing.
The Victorian classic, My Secret Life by "Walter" (1888), contains an account of pinaforing in which the main character, Walter, witnesses the birching of a wealthy middle-aged man by a prostitute while the man wears feminine attire.
The Pearl, A Journal of Facetiae and Voluptuous Reading (1879–1880), a Victorian pornographic magazine, also contains an account of the flagellation of a victim dressed as a woman, although, in the strict sense, this account does not represent pinaforing per se because the man, Frank, is not petticoated as part of his punishment but has, rather, dressed in ladies' garments to disguise himself as a woman: to avenge herself, Lucretia persuades Frank to pose as his sister and to join a ladies' private whipping club, the qualification for admission to which is the applicant's receipt of a whipping.
- Report: Boy Forced To Wear Skirt As Punishment, Local6.com, February 24, 2004. Archived November 6, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- A Short History of Petticoat Discipline retrieved 2007-04-30[unreliable source] Archived June 15, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Letter 20 - A PANTIED MALE HAIRDRESSER - From Lara retrieved 2007-04-30[unreliable source] Archived April 27, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Classics in the History of Psychology ADOLESCENCE: ITS PSYCHOLOGY AND ITS RELATIONS TO PHYSIOLOGY, ANTHROPOLOGY, SOCIOLOGY, SEX, CRIME, RELIGION AND EDUCATION Volume 2 G. Stanley Hall (1904): [p. 561] CHAPTER XVII ADOLESCENT GIRLS AND THEIR EDUCATION, retrieved 2007-04-30[not in citation given]
- Classics in the History of Psychology retrieved 2007-04-30[unreliable source?]
- brassiered: a complete guide to brassiere discipline[unreliable source]
- Petticoat Punishment in Erotic Literature Part One: Before 'Gynecocracy' Peter Farrer, retrieved 2007-04-30[unreliable source] Archived June 12, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- The ambiguous politics of petticoating Stella Gonzalez-Arnal, Dept of Philosophy, University of Hull, retrieved 2007-04-30 Archived January 16, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Bonnie Bullough, "Cross dressing, sex, and gender", University of Pennsylvania Press, 1993, ISBN 0-8122-1431-5, page 211
- Richard Ekins, "Blending genders: social aspects of cross-dressing and sex-changing", Routledge, 1996, ISBN 0-415-11551-5, appendix 1
- Gynecocracy retrieved 2007-04-30
- My Secret Life by Walter
- The Art of Petticoat Punishment
- Petticoat Discipline Quarterly
- BirchPlace Sissies
- Petticoat Pond
- Petticoat Punishment