Pillboxes are concrete dug-in guard posts, normally equipped with loopholes through which to fire weapons. The originally jocular name arose from their perceived similarity to the cylindrical and hexagonal boxes in which medical pills were once sold. They are in effect a trench firing step hardened to protect against small-arms fire and grenades and raised to improve the field of fire.
The concrete nature of pillboxes means that they are a feature of prepared positions. They were probably first used in the Hindenburg Line. This is likely to have been the time when they acquired their incongruous English name. The Oxford English Dictionary's earliest record of the use of the word pillbox in connection with a defensive post is from 13 September 1917, after the German withdrawal onto the Hindenburg Line.
Pillboxes are often camouflaged in order to conceal their location and to maximize the element of surprise. They may be part of a trench system, form an interlocking line of defence with other pillboxes by providing covering fire to each other (defence in depth), or they may be placed to guard strategic structures such as bridges and jetties.
The French Maginot Line built between the world wars consisted of a massive bunker and tunnel complex, but as most of it was below ground little could be seen from the ground level. The exception were the concrete blockhouses and pillboxes which were placed above ground to allow the garrison of the Maginot line to engage an attacking enemy.
From the Abyssinian Crisis of 1936 onwards, the British built pillboxes on the island of Malta for defence in case of an Italian invasion. Many others were built during World War II. Many pillboxes still exist, especially on the north eastern part of the island. A few of them have been restored and are cared for, but many others were demolished. Some pillboxes are still being destroyed nowadays as they are not considered to have any architectural or historic value.
About 28,000 pillboxes and other hardened field fortifications were constructed in England in 1940 as part of the British anti-invasion preparations of World War II. About 6,500 of these structures still survive.
Pillboxes for the Czechoslovak border fortifications were built before the Second World War in Czechoslovakia in defence against the German invasion of Czechoslovakia. None of these were actually used against its intended enemy, since the German military met no resistance when invading the country because it was effectively forced to capitulate as a result of Allies annexing the country's border areas and handing them to Germany, but some were used against the liberating Russian armies. The Japanese also made use of pillboxes in their fortifications of Iwo Jima.
A circular pillbox (British World War II type 25) – Sheephatch Lane near Tilford, England
Hexagonal Pillbox – Balaclava, Crimea, Ukraine
- Hellis 2001, Why Pillbox?.
- "The first pillboxes were built by the German army in September 1917, during the First World War (1914–18)." (OED staff 2011)
- Schneider 2002, p. 87.
- "Guided tour of WWII defences". Times of Malta. 2 December 2005. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "Wartime pillbox at Salina being pulled down". The Malta Independent. 10 April 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- CBA staff.
- CBA staff, A Review Of The Defence of Britain Project, Council for British Archaeology, retrieved 30 May 2006
- Hellis, John (1 June 2001), Why Pillbox?, Pillbox Study Group, retrieved 10 September 2009
- OED staff (December 2011) [March 2006], "pillbox, n. Pilbox. 3. Mil.", Oxford English Dictionary (Online version, Third edition ed.)
- Schneider, Richard Harold; Kitchen, Ted (2002), Planning for crime prevention: a transatlantic perspective, RTPI library series 3 (illustrated ed.), Routledge, p. 87, ISBN 978-0-415-24136-6
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pillboxes.|