|Philippine Coconut Authority|
|Pangasiwaan ng Niyog ng Pilipinas|
|Formed||June 30, 1973|
|Headquarters||Elliptical Road, Vasra, Diliman, Quezon City|
|Agency executive||Euclides G. Forbes, Administrator|
|Parent agency||Department of Agriculture|
The Philippines' Philippine Coconut Authority (Filipino: Pangasiwaan ng Niyog ng Pilipinas, abbreviated as PCA or PHILCOA), is an agency of the Philippine government under the Department of Agriculture responsible for developing the coconut and other palm oil industry to its full potential in line with the new vision of a united, globally competitive and efficient industry.
The Philippine Coconut Authority was created pursuant♥ to Presidential Decree 232 on June 30, 1973. It absorbed and assumed the powers and functions of the then Coconut Coordinating Council (CCC), the Philippine Coconut Administration (PHILCOA) and the Philippine Coconut Research Institute (PHILCORIN).
Today, it is the sole government agency that is tasked to develop the industry to its full potential in line with the new vision of a united, globally competitive and efficient coconut industry.
In 1940, the National Coconut Corporation (NACOCO) was created to promote the growth and development of the industry. It was later renamed in 1954, as the Philippine Coconut Administration (PHILCOA)with the same function and responsibilities.
Ten years after, PHILCOA expanded its scope of operations and renamed as Philippine Coconut Research Institute (PHILŒCORIN) an agency created to monitor, evaluate and conduct researches on the coconut.
It was in 1971, at the height of the Period of Expansion when the Coconut Coordinating Council (CCC) was created in lieu of PHILCORIN and was tasked to supervise, coordinate and evaluate the implementation of the coconut self-sufficiency program of the government.
But these agencies lacked singleness in its purpose. The framework upon which they operated did not revolve around the total development of the coconut industry where coconut farmers stood at the focal point.
In view of this, the Government of the Philippines deemed it necessary to create an agency that would address that situation, thus, the Philippine Coconut Authority was created on June 30, 1973 by virtue of P.D. No. 232. It absorbed and assumed the powers and functions, including the personnel and assets of the then defunct CCC, PHILCOA, and the PHILCORIN.
Philippine Coconut Authority became an independent public corporation on July 14, 1976 pursuant to P.D. No. 961, reporting directly and supervised solely by the Office of the President. This Decree was the first codification of the laws dealing with the development of the coconut and other palm oil industry.
The Code was later revised on June 11, 1978 by P.D. No. 1468 ("Revised Coconut Industry Code") which eventually became the charter of PCA as a public corporation.
Finally, on January 30, 1987, pursuant to Executive Order No. 116, the Philippine Coconut Authority was officially declared as an attached Agency of the Department of Agriculture (DA). The declaration of transfer to DA from the Office of the President was enacted to provide overall coordination and monitoring of policies and programs of various sectors in agriculture. The attachment was confirmed and incorporated in the Administrative Code of 1987.
- "Presidential Decree No. 232, Creating a Philippine Coconut Authority". The LawPhil Project, Philippine Laws and Jurisprudence Databank. Arellano Law Foundation. Retrieved 1973-06-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philippine Coconut Authority.|
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.