|Single by Jean-Jacques Goldman|
|from the album Non homologué|
|B-side||"Compte pas sur moi"|
|Format||7" single, digital download (since 2005)|
|Genre||New wave, progressive rock|
|Jean-Jacques Goldman singles chronology|
"Pas toi" is a 1985 song recorded by French singer-songwriter and composer Jean-Jacques Goldman. It was the third and last single off his fourth studio album Non homologué and was released in April 1986. Fully composed by Goldman, it was successful in France.
The song is available on many album by Goldman, including his live albums En Public, Du New Morning au Zénith and En passant tournée 1998, and his compilations Entre gris clair et gris foncé, Intégrale, Les Enfoirés à l'Opéra, Singulier 81/89 and Pluriel 90/96. The live version recorded in 1999 was very different from the original and had rap sounds ; it also added lyrics in English-language sung by Michale Jones. The song deals with a non-reciprocal love and is not autobiographical.
In France, the single started at #13 on 26 April 1986 and reached a peak of number five for two non consecutive weeks. It remained for seven weeks in the top ten and 21 weeks in the top 50 and achieved Silver status.
In 1997, the song was covered by French R&B band Melgroove and released as a single, becoming a hit in France and Belgium (Wallonia). This version is very different from the original one as the three voices of the singers are superposed in the chorus. In addition, the original structure of the song was changed since "Pas toi" begins with the chorus.
The song was performed by La troupe des Dix Commandements on French show Tapis rouge, broadcast of France 2 on 3 March 2001. Chorus Meps (1998), Michel Leclerc (2000, piano version) and the Collège de l'Estérel (2002) recorded a new version of the song.
- 7" single
|2.||"Compte pas sur moi"||5:26|
- Digital download (since 2005)
|1.||"Pas toi" (album version)||5:31|
|2.||"Pas toi" (1986 live version)||6:38|
|3.||"Pas toi" (1999 live version)||7:24|
Charts and sales
1 Melgroove version
|Country||Certification||Date||Sales certified||Physical sales|
1 Melgroove version
- Interview by Alain Pilot, "La bande passante", Radio France Internationale, 15 March 2002
- Elia Habib, Muz hit. tubes, p. 75 (ISBN 2-9518832-0-X)
- Interview by Christophe Nicolas, Génération Laser, "Intégrale de Jean-Jacques Goldman", aired on RTL, 15–19 November 1991
- Elia Habib, Muz hit. tubes, p. 396 (ISBN 2-9518832-0-X)
- ""Pas toi", French Singles Chart". Lescharts. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- ""Pas toi" (by Melgroove), in various singles charts". Lescharts. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- "1997 Belgian (Wallonia) Singles Chart". Ultratop. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- "1997 French Singles Chart". Disqueenfrance. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- "Certification for every country in the world" (PDF). IFPI. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- "Certifications and sales of singles in France, database (see: "Les Ventes" => "Toutes les certifications depuis 1973" => "GOLDMAN J-Jacques")". Snep. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- "1997 French certifications". Snep. Retrieved 2009-08-03.