|Party of Greens of Ukraine
Партія Зелених України
|International affiliation||European Green Party|
|Politics of Ukraine
|Part of a series on|
The party is a successor of the Green World Association (founded December 1987) and under that name participated in the Ukrainian parliamentary elections of 1990 as part of the Democratic Bloc. The Green World Association quickly transformed itself into the Party of Greens of Ukraine.
After being electorally successful in the late 20th century, the party became nationally electorally marginal but representatives of the party are present in regional and local governing bodies.
The party claims to have about 80,000 members.
Its main priorities are the alteration of anti-ecological attitudes in the economic system, the reconstruction of the social system, and the protection of human rights.
The registration certificat of a similar named party called Green Party of Ukraine was canceled in November 2011 because this party did not had nominate candidates in elections since the parliamentary elections of 1998.
In the 1998 parliamentary election the Ukrainian Greens got 5,5% of the votes and 19 seats in the Verkhovna Rada (Ukrainian parliament). According to historian Andrew Wilson at this time the party was more a sanctuary for oligarchs then a Green Party (businessman dominated the party's election list).
The 1998 success couldn't be repeated in the 2002 election, in which the Ukrainian Greens missed out with 1,3%. Final poll results had predicted 4-5% of the total votes. At the 2006 parliamentary elections and the 2007 parliamentary elections the party failed with 0.54% and 0.40% to enter the parliament.
The party did participate in the 2012 parliamentary elections. In these election the party won 0.35% of the national votes and no constituencies (it had competed in 15 constituencies) and thus failed to win parliamentary representation.
- Conservation movement
- Environmental movement
- Green party
- Green politics
- List of environmental organizations
- Ukrainian Green Party to participate in 2012 parliamentary elections, Kyiv Post (19 December 2011)
- Serhy Yekelchyk Ukraine: Birth of a Modern Nation, Oxford University Press (2007), ISBN 978-0-19-530546-3, page 187
- (Ukrainian) Databases ASD: Political parties in Ukraine
- Serhy Yekelchyk '"Ukraine: Birth of a Modern Nation, Oxford University Press (2007), ISBN 978-0-19-530546-3, page 181
- Official party site
- Lavrynovych: Court cancels registration certificates of five Ukrainian parties, Kyiv Post (29 November 2011)
- Virtual Politics - Faking Democracy in the Post-Soviet World, Andrew Wilson, Yale University Press, 2005, ISBN 0-300-09545-7
- Ukraine's election frontrunners, BBC News (28 March 2002)
- (Ukrainian) Candidates, RBC Ukraine
- (Ukrainian) Proportional votes & Constituency seats, Central Election Commission of Ukraine
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.