|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2012)|
|Nickname(s): God's Own Village|
|Elevation||16 m (52 ft)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL 34, KL 05|
Panamattom or Panamattam is a large village in Kerala, India, a part of Kottayam district. It is located in Kanjirappally Taluk. Ponkunnam, Kanjirappally and Pala are nearby places of Panamattom. This place is famous for its fertile land and also rubber plantations. The main village Panchayat is Elikkulam Panchayat. This village is also called God's own village.
Panamattom is located at.
Panamattom has a good climate. In winter season, it is little bit cold (25°Celsius high 21°Celsius low) and in summer season, it is little hot (30°Celsius high 26°Celsius low). Panamattom has mostly the monsoon climate.
Panamattom is a village which has a great history. Panamattom Devi Temple was very famous in ancient times. Panamattom Devi temple pond was a part of Hindu Mythology. In ancient times, Panamattom had many wells. One such well was situated behind the Panamattom Devi Temple. People believed that the Idol of Panamattathamma (Bhadrakali) was found from this well and also that all the Sarpas were living near to this well.
In ancient times, Panamattom Devi Temple had many Banyan trees. But, one such banyan tree was called a Mango tree because from the root of this banyan tree, one mango tree was grown.
In earlier days, empty spaces in Panamattom was used to grow vegetables, fruits and other edible things. Nowadays, it became rubber plantation and other trees.
Lazza Ice Cream Factory
Lazza Ice Cream Factory, Panamattom is a prominent industry in the Kottayam district and a large number of people from the surrounding area work as employees in the ice cream manufacturing units.
- Panamattom Devi Temple is a famous temple located in Panamattom . Shiva, Parvati and Bhadrakali are being worshiped in Panamattom Devi Temple. Every Year, festivals are being celebrated here.
- In Panamattom, there are many tharavad (traditional houses)in earlier days. One such tharavad in here is called Kuzhikkattu tharavadu. In behind of this tharavad, there is a temple called Kuzhikattu temple.
- Vadakara Temple is also located in Panamattom. It is one of the oldest temples in Kottayam district.
- Veliyannur Temple is also situated in Panamattom. This is also one of the famous temples in Kottayam district. Lord Ayyappa is being worshipped here.
- Kavummuri Temple is also located in Panamattom.
- Kaniyanparambil Temple was also located in Panamattom in earlier days. But today, we can find only its trace.
As of 2012 India census, Panamattom has a population of 10,032 with 4,991 (48%) males and 5,041 (52%) females. Panamattom has an average literacy rate of 95.2%.
Kottayam Railway Station (37 km), Changanassery Railway Station (40 km), Kuruppumthara Railway Station (42 km), Kaduthuruthy Railway Station (45 km) and Thiruvalla Railway Station (47 km) are the nearest railway stations of Panamattom.
The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport (88 km).
- Primary Health Center is situated at Panamattom.
- Good Samaritan Hospitals in Koprakalam is just 2 km away from Panamattom.
- Srihari Hospital is a well-known hospital in Ponkunnam.It is just 5 km away from here.
- KVMS Hospital is one of the best hospitals in Ponkunnam. It is 6 km away from here.
- Kanjirappally Taluk Hospital is the main hospital of Kanjirappally Taluk. It will take 8 km from Panamattom.
- Another Hospital nearby Panamattom is Shantiniketan Hospital. It takes just 6 km from here.
There are 2 libraries in Panamattom.
- National Library (Desiya Vayanashala)
- Deshabhimani Library
National Library: This library was inaugurated in 1951. Here, there are more than 30000 books available. There are many books for children and adults. It is a fast developing library. Nowadays, it becames one of the best library in Kerala.
Deshabhimani Library: This library was inaugurated in 1950. This library has a main role in Panamattom's history. This library is very popular among almost every surrounding villages.
Government Higher Secondary School Panamattom is a part of Cultural History of Panamattom. Above 1000 students is being studying here. This school nowadays becomes a fast developing school. This is situated near Panamattom Devi Temple.There was one more school named Veliyannur Government pre primary School near Veliyannur Temple. But today, this school is no more.
In ancient times, every villages have a pigeon nest. People who loves pigeons they also make a beautiful pigeon nest. Today, we can't find pigeon nests in Panamattom.
In earlier days, instead of buckets people use a thing named Kalthotti. It was used for keeping water and a special drink of Kerala called 'Sambharam'. Today, we can find these kalthotties in Panamattom very rarely. There was one kalthotty near Desabhimani Vayanasala, near to pothukinar -a public well and gentle men in summer season bathed on the way home, after their agrarian jobs. There are many stone stands seen near to the public ways earlier, which for the help of pedestrian who bearing head loads.
In ancient times, Panamattom was famous not only for the Devi Temple but also for the Panamattom Smithy -thanks to the few highly skilled black Smiths resided here, they were very much reputed in that surrounding areas.Many people from nearby places used to come here in order to make knives, hammers, axes etc.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2013)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Panamattom.|