The Orpheum Theatre at night
|Address||910 Hennepin Avenue|
|Owned by||Hennepin Theatre Trust|
|Operated by||Historic Theatre Group|
|Previous names||Hennepin Theater|
|Architect:||Kirchoff, Roger; et al.|
|Governing body:||Hennepin Theatre Trust|
|NRHP Reference#:||95001548 |
|Added to NRHP:||January 19, 1996|
The Historic Orpheum Theatre is a theater in downtown Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is one of four restored theaters on Hennepin Avenue, along with the Pantages Theatre, the State Theatre and the Shubert Theatre (now The Cowles Center).
The building opened on October 16, 1921, originally named the Hennepin Theater. The theater actually consists of two separate structures: a long, fingerlike lobby that extends back from a narrow facade along Hennepin Avenue, and the auditorium, which is set back and parallels Hawthorne Avenue. The restored lobby includes six terra cotta bas relief sculptures. The auditorium is intricately plastered, with a number of garlands, swags, medallions, and other decorations. The ceiling has a dome with 30,000 squares of aluminum leaf.
The building seats 1500 on the main floor and 1100 on the three level balcony.
In 1988, the Orpheum was bought by the City of Minneapolis; it was renovated and reopened in 1993. From its reopening until 1996, the theater was operated by the Ordway Music Theatre. Since then, it has been operated by the Historic Theatre Group. In 2005, the city transferred ownership of its theaters to the Hennepin Theatre Trust.
Historic Theatre Group's original partner was Jujamcyn Productions. SFX (now Live Nation) bought Jujamcyn Productions in 2000. Live Nation sold most of its theatrical properties, including its Minneapolis operations, to Key Brand Entertainment in 2008.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2006-03-15.
- Millett, Larry (2007). AIA Guide to the Twin Cities: The Essential Source on the Architecture of Minneapolis and St. Paul. St. Paul, Minnesota: Minnesota Historical Society. ISBN 0-87351-540-4.
- "Hennepin Theatre District: Theatre History: Orpheum Theatre". Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- History: Hennepin Theatre Trust
- Ordway to make play for Mpls. theaters
- Curtain Call in the Theater District
- Fred Krohn resigns post at Historic Theatre Group
- Twin Cities-based show producer Jujamcyn is sold to N.Y. giant SFX
- Live Nation Finds a Buyer for Its Theater Business
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.