NovaThor is a platform consisting of integrated System on Chips (SoC) and modems for smartphones and tablets developed by ST-Ericsson, a 50/50 joint venture of Ericsson and STMicroelectronics established on February 3, 2009. ST-Ericsson also sells the SoCs (Nova) and the modems (Thor) separately.
On November 2, 2011, Nokia announced that NovaThor SoCs will power Nokia's future Windows Phone based smartphones, making a deviation from the standard use of Qualcomm Snapdragon SoCs in Windows Phones.
On February 28, 2012, ST-Ericsson announced that they will switch to fully depleted silicon on insulator (FD-SOI) transistors for upcoming products to reduce power consumption. As an example they stated that the L8540 SoC with FD-SOI transistors would consume 35% less power.
On January 30, 2013, ST-Ericsson announced as part of it's quarterly result that they had shipped 10.7 million U8500 NovaThor units in the fourth quarter of 2012.
List of Nova and NovaThor SoCs 
|Model Number||Semiconductor technology||CPU Instruction Set||CPU||GPU||Memory Technology||Wireless Radio Technologies||Availability||Utilizing Devices|
|NovaThor U8500||45 nm||ARMv7||1 GHz Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9||ARM Mali 400 MP (single core)||LP-DDR2||HSPA||2011||Motorola XT760, Ontim WP8500, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, Samsung Galaxy Beam, Samsung Galaxy S Advance, Samsung Galaxy S III Mini, ; Samsung Galaxy XCover 2; Shanda Bambook, Sony Xperia go, Sony Xperia P, Sony Xperia Sola, Sony Xperia U, Yulong Coolpad CP7728|
|NovaThor U9500||45 nm||ARMv7||1 GHz Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9||ARM Mali 400 MP||LP-DDR2||GSM/EDGE, WCDMA/HSPA+ (HSDPA 21 Mbit/s, HSUPA 5.76 Mbit/s)||2011|
|Nova A9500||45 nm||ARMv7||1.2 GHz Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9||ARM Mali 400 MP||LP-DDR2||None||2011||HTC Sensation Z710T (China), Lenovo LePhone S899t, Snowball|
|Nova A9540||32 nm||ARMv7||1.85 GHz Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9||PowerVR SGX 544||Dual-channel LP-DDR2||None||Cancelled|
|NovaThor L9540||32 nm||ARMv7||1.85 GHz Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9||PowerVR SGX 544||Dual-channel LP-DDR2||LTE FDD/TDD, HSPA+, TD-SCDMA, EDGE (external Thor M7400 modem)||Cancelled|
|NovaThor L8540||28 nm||ARMv7||1.85 GHz Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9||PowerVR SGX 544 @ 500 MHz||Dual-channel LP-DDR2||LTE FDD/TDD, HSPA+, TD-SCDMA, EDGE (integrated modem)||Cancelled|
|NovaThor L8580 (eQuad∗)||28 nm FD-SOI||ARMv7||2.5/3 (?)GHz Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9||PowerVR SGX 544 @600 MHz||Dual-channel LP-DDR2||LTE FDD/TDD, HSPA+, TD-SCDMA, EDGE (integrated modem)||Cancelled|
∗ With eQuad, the dual-core chip act as 2 performance cores or, at 0.6V, 2 power-saving cores. "e" for electrical.
Similar platforms 
- Snapdragon by Qualcomm
- OMAP by Texas Instruments
- Tegra by Nvidia
- Exynos by Samsung
- Ax by Apple
- Atom by Intel
- NOVA TM - Highest performance application processors
- ST-Ericsson's NovaThor to power Nokia's Windows Phone devices, loosens Qualcomm's grip - Engadget
- ST-Ericsson reports fourth quarter 2012 financial results
- NovaThor U8500 Product Webpage; ST Ericsson.
- ST-Ericsson NovaThor U8500 powers new tablet from Ontim
- ST-Ericsson NovaThor U8500 powers new Samsung GALAXY S Advance
- ST-ERICSSON NOVATHOR MODAP POWERS NEW SAMSUNG GALAXY S III MINI
- Specifications - Sony Smartphones (Global UK English)
- NovaThor U9500 Product Webpage; ST Ericsson.
- Changing the game: ST-Ericsson Unveils NovaThor™ Family of Smartphone Platforms Combining its Most Advanced Application Processors with the Latest Generation of Modems
- Powerful New ST-Ericsson Platform makes Debut in HTC Sensation
- Snowball is a low power, low cost Single Board Computer based on the ST-Ericsson Nova A9500 processor (Dual Cortex A9 + Mali 400 GPU)
- Nova™ A9540
- NOVATHOR™ L9540
- NOVATHOR™ L8540
- ST-Ericsson announces new highly integrated LTE NovaThor platform