|North East Express|
North East Express
|Service type||Super fast express|
|Locale||Assam, West Bengal, Bihar, UP, Delhi|
|Current operator(s)||Northeast Frontier Railway|
|Start||Delhi Anand Vihar Terminal|
|Distance travelled||1880 km|
|Average journey time||34 hours|
|Track gauge||1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
The North East Express is a daily superfast train of Indian Railways, which runs between Guwahati (capital of Assam and the largest city of North Eastern region of India) and New Delhi (capital of India). It connects North Eastern India to New Delhi, hence the name. The train belongs to NF railway zone of Indian Railways (headquarter at Guwahati). The coaches of this train belongs to Guwahati Division of NF Railway.
The train is numbered as 12505/12506:
- 12505 originates from Guwahati daily at 9:45 Hrs and reaches New Delhi at 19:25 next day. The total distance of 1880 km is covered in 33 hours and 40 mins. The train runs via the main and the shortest possible route between Guwahati and New Delhi covering important stations such as New Bongaigaon, New Jalpaiguri, Katihar, Barauni Junction, Patna, Mughal Sarai, Allahabad, Kanpur en route to New Delhi.
- 12506 originates from New Delhi daily at 6:40 Hrs and reaches Guwahati at 16:40 next day covering the distance of 1880 km in 34 hours. On the return journey the train follows the same route.
The train has AC as well as Non AC accommodation. The composition of the train is as follows - 2A - 1 (A-1) 3A - 2 (B-1,B-2) SL - 13 (S-1 to S-13) PC - 1 GENL - 4 SLR - 2 The total rake length is 23 coaches. The locomotives used for this train are:
- Guwahati - Barauni Junction/Barauni Junction - Guwahati - WDP-4 from Silliguri/WDM 3A from Mughal Sarai or Howrah.
- Barauni Junction - New Delhi/New Delhi - Barauni Junction - WAP-4 from Kanpur/Mughal Sarai/Ghaziabad/Howrah electric loco shed.
The train reverses at Barauni Junction either way.
This train is considered as one of the better options for travel between Guwahati and New Delhi. Recently this train has shifted its departure point from New Delhi to Anand Vihar due to congestion and saturation in New Delhi railway station.
- "Trains of fame and locos with a name - Part 2". IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- "North East Express 12506". makemytrip. Retrieved 2012-11-08.