||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
Normanton shown within West Yorkshire
|OS grid reference|
|- London||165 mi (266 km) south|
|Metropolitan county||West Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford|
Normanton is a town and civil parish within the City of Wakefield in West Yorkshire, England. It is north-east of Wakefield and south-west of Castleford, and at the time of the 2011 Census, the population was 20,872.
The Domesday Book gives information on 'Norman-tune' as:
In Normantune there are 10 carucates for geld, which 5 plows can plough. 2 thegns had 2 manors there T.R.E. Now, in the King's hand there are 6 villeins there, and 3 bordars, a priest, and a church, with 3 ploughs, 3 acres (12,000 m2) of meadow. Pasturable wood (land) 6 furlongs in length and 1 in breadth. The whole of this land lies in the soc of Wachefelt, except the Church. T.R.E. it was worth 12s: now (it is worth) 10s.
Normanton was originally surrounded by a moat, and in Norman times was the site of an enclosed settlement (chosen for its strategic view points across the surrounding area), and became known as 'Norman - tune', or 'Norman - ton'.
At the time the Domesday Book was compiled in 1086, the colonization of Yorkshire by the Normans was well underway. Archaeological evidence at today's Normanton points to Haw Hill (or How Hill), an eminence that was probably a Norman defensive strategic mound once reinforced by a wooden palisade. The evidence of a Norman motte-and-bailey fortification at the town, and the name, is likely evidence that Normanton's name derived from the substantial Anglo-Norman presence in the area. Nearby, after all, were Tickhill, the fortress of Norman magnate Roger de Busli, as well as other new Norman power centers. Although the area had once been part of the Scandinavian Danelaw, William the Conqueror's scorched earth northern campaign had left the area ripe for exploitation by his Lords. By all measures, Normanton likely owes its name to these new aggressive warriors.
One of the earliest buildings to survive within the village is Hanson House. This is set back from the church and has a timber frame construction. The building was constructed in the mid-15th century, with a later wing added in the 18th century. A fire has damaged the building, which is being restored and modernised.
A grammar school was founded in Normanton by John Freeston (now the 'Parish Rooms'..later moved to the site of the, Normanton Junior School on Church lane) in 1592, but the town remained very small until it became the focus of several railway lines in the mid-19th century. Work began in 1837 under the supervision of George Stephenson on the construction of the North Midland Railway from Derby to Leeds. This was soon followed by an addition to the York and North Midland Railway from York and then the Manchester and Leeds Railway from Manchester which all extended to Normanton thereby giving the town access to much of the country. The Leeds and Manchester lines crossed a 51-mile (82 km) stretch across The Pennines and at the time had the world's longest railway station platform at Normanton - a quarter of a mile long. The station was, for the next ten years or so, the most important in England, employing over 700 people who looked after the station's 700,000 passengers a year.
In Victorian times Normanton station was one of the most important stations in northern England, and Queen Victoria stopped over in The Station Hotel. The town also served as an important part of the transport infrastructure for national and local industries including coal and bricks, although most of this was lost during the 1950s and 1960s with the last remaining operational brickworks eventually closing in the mid-1990s. There were three brickworks in town which were all built within the small area of Newland, taking advantage of the abundance of clay from the area. A fourth works was founded in the 1890s by a Thomas Kirk from Nottingham, who had heard rumours that Normanton was rapidly turning into an important junction on the railways. Both Kirk and his sons used their life savings and formed the Normanton Brick Company at nearby Altofts which is still in operation today.
The coming of the railways enabled the locally-mined coal to be sent across the country. Demand soon outstripped supply and many more shafts were sunk to reach the coal seams under the town. In 1871 Dom Pedro, the Emperor of Brazil, visited Normanton with his Empress and gave his name (in a slightly altered form) to the Don Pedro colliery at Hopetown. Today roads in the area of the former colliery retain the name. At their peak the Collieries employed over 10,000 men, most of whom wanted to move themselves and their families to Normanton. The town enjoyed a boom period with more mines opening and more shafts being sunk in order to meet the increasing demand for coal until, by the mid-1970s, most coal seams in the Normanton area were worked-out.
The disputes surrounding the UK Miners' Strike (1984-1985) meant that many mines across the country were to close although by this stage there were no collieries still in production in Normanton. However, the strike still affected many families in the area, as Normanton colliers still worked in pits in neighbouring towns. The area once occupied by the St Johns or Newland colliery is now part of the controversial Welbeck landfill site which has been the subject of both local and national media attention since its development as a toxic tip. The site attracted so much negative attention that the group Residents Against Toxic Scheme (RATS) was established to halt planning permission for the disposal of toxic chemicals at the site, claiming the scheme was an extreme health hazard.
Normanton suffered decline in the years following the miners' strike. The railway station was in such a state of neglect and disrepair that the decision was made to demolish it in 1986; the section of railway line between Goosehill Junction and Crofton Interchange were lifted the year after. Very little now remains of Normanton's railway and mining heritage.
Normanton has become a growing commuter suburb of the Leeds City Region, with relatively cheap housing and efficient transport links. The town is still accessible via Normanton railway station, and is currently served by an unmanned island platform station with regular trains to Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield and Sheffield Meadowhall Interchange.
The addition and expansion of the Eurolink Industrial Estate at Junction 31 of the M62 attracted national and multi-national corporations to locate their distribution depots to Normanton. Being centrally located within the UK, the town is served by three major motorway networks: the M62 linking Manchester to Hull (west to east); the M1 linking Leeds to London (North to South); and the North of England via a new link between the M62 and the A1(M) at nearby Ferrybridge.
Places of interest
The Newland estate was a small township on the outskirts of Normanton and lies on the north bank of the River Calder. Existing since 1213 when it was established by King John of England as a preceptory of the Knight's Templars, it was later transferred to the similar organisation, "The Knights Hospitallers" in 1256. The property belonging to the Hospitallers was dissolved by King Henry VIII who bestowed the property upon himself. The earliest known preceptor of the Knights Hospitallers was Simon Paccable in 1313. Newland was once held by the Levett family, and William Levett, who was lord of the manor, was admitted tenant of the Knights Hospitallers on 2 October 1447.
The estate changed hands of ownership a number of times since King Henry VIII sold the land in 1544, with final ownership landing on The Warmfield Company Limited in 1926, who ran brickworks until the mid-20th century.
Newland today is kept as a nature reserve, with the remains of the Estate overgrown with shrubs and plant life. A small fishing area just outside the Newland Estate is used by local fishermen.
The following is a list of schools in Normanton:
- Normanton All Saints Primary School
- Normanton Junior School
- Normanton Freeston Academy (FKA Freeston Business and Enterprise College and Freeston High School)
- Woodhouse First School (now newlands primary)
- Woodlands Middle School (now newlands primary)
- Altofts Middle School
- Normanton Common Primary School
The town is home to many teams across all three major sports. There are 2 cricket clubs - South Normanton CC and Normanton St Johns CC. There are 2 football teams - A.S Normanton FC and Normanton Athletic Juniors. Arguably,[according to whom?] the biggest sport in the area is Rugby League. The Normanton Knights are the towns main amateur club and play in the National Conference League. Featherstone Rovers are the local professional club based in nearby Featherstone.
- Walter Hampson - dialect author and poet
- Michelle Hardwick - Actress
- Frances Cox - Actress
- Josephine Antosz - Actress
- Venetia Deane - Actress and Singer
- Levett Hanson - flamboyant author, courtier, expert on medieval knighthood, childhood friend of Horatio Nelson
- Francis Mallet (or Mallett), English churchman and academic, and chaplain to Mary Tudor
- Reece Dinsdale - Actor
- Ben Cockayne - Rugby League player for Featherstone Rovers
- Richard Crawshay - London iron merchant and South Wales ironmaster
- Keith Ripley Football player, Leeds Utd first team.
The old Normanton brickyard, situated just off of the A655 Wakefield Road, was used in the late-1990s as the fictional setting of a murder in the ITV series A Touch Of Frost. The structure was intact but abandoned at the time of filming and was the ideal location favoured by the ITV production team.[according to whom?] In the series a body was found by the Police in one of the factory's old kilns. Within 18 months of filming, the structure had been declared unsafe, and was partially demolished, leaving only the chimney stack standing.
-  Retrieved 2013-03-05
- A History of Normanton & District, R.H. Pestell, 1973
- Normanton, Its Name, History of Normanton, wakefield.gov.uk
- Hampson, Walter. "History of Normanton". wakefield.gov.uk.
- Pastell, Ibid.
- Pastell, Ibid.
- "Walks in Yorkshire", William Stott Banks
- "Hanson, Levett". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- "03. Normanton - its old houses and ancient families (part1)" by Walter Hampson, 1928
- Local Community Page
- Town Football Team Newfield AFC
- All Saints Normanton Football Team
- Houses of Knights Hospitallers, British History Online
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.