|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2013)|
The squadron formed as No. 9 General Reconnaissance Squadron on Lockheed Hudson aircraft in New Caledonia, during July 1942, remaining on the island until March 1943, when it moved forward to Santo. The squadron came 'home' to New Zealand to re-equip with Lockheed Venturas in October 1943, returning to Santo in February 1944, moving to Bougainville from May to August of that year. The squadron rotated through Fiji January 1945, and advanced to Emirau in March. With the winding down of aerial operations against the Japanese in the South West Pacific, it was disbanded in June 1945.
Commanding officers 
- Squadron Leader D. B. Grigg July 1942–June 1943
- Squadron Leader J. J. Busch June–July 1943
- Squadron Leader A. C. Willis July–August 1943
- Wing Commander A. C. Allen October 1943–May 1945