|New York State Office of Mental Health Police|
New York State Office of Mental Health Police patch
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||State of New York, USA|
|Size||54,555 square miles (141,300 km2)|
|Legal jurisdiction||New York|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The New York State Office of Mental Health Police (OMH Police) is a law enforcement agency that provides safety and security services to the New York State Office of Mental Health (within the New York State Department of Mental Hygiene).
The New York State Office of Mental Health Police was created through New York State Mental Hygiene Law to secure the grounds and buildings of the Office of Mental Health as well as to transport Office of Mental Health patients to and from court and other OMH facilities.
The Safety and Security titles are separated into three separate ranks: Chief, Sergeant, and Officer. Promotional exams are routinely given to obtain promotional opportunities.
Safety and Security Officers
OMH safety and security officers have New York State peace officer status which is granted under the Mental Hygiene Law (section 7.25), Public Health Law (section 455), and Criminal Procedure Law (section 2.10-12).
The Office of Mental Health uses the "Safety and Security Officer" title for its OMH officers.
Officers are authorized to issue summonses and can affect an arrest. Some of the duties performed by officers include, but are not limited to, enforcing state and local laws, apprehending absconded patients, Officers also are responsible for conducting fire service procedures which include conducting fire drills, fire extinguisher inspections, and building inspections.
Officers are not authorized to carry firearms on/off duty as per NYS CPL.
- List of law enforcement agencies in New York
- New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Police
- "2006 New York Code - Safety.". JustiaUS Law.com. Justia. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "New York Criminal Procedure Law - ARTICLE 2". New York State Law. NY Criminal Procedure Law. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Safety and Security Officer 1 / Safety and Security Officer Trainee Hiring Form". Omh.state.ny.us. 2012-02-22. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH)
- Office of Mental Health in the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations
- Department of Mental Hygiene in the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations
- Information about Kendra's Law, mental health policy in NYC and problems at the NYS Office of Mental Health
- Mentally ill New Yorkers need help, article about overcrowding in NY State psychiatric facilities and response by Mental Health police to overcrowded conditions
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.