The New York State Office of Mental Health Police (OMH Police) is a law enforcement agency that provides security services to the New York State Office of Mental Health (within the New York State Department of Mental Hygiene).
The New York State Office of Mental Health Police was created through New York State Mental Hygiene Law to secure the grounds and buildings of the Office of Mental Health as well as to transport Office of Mental Health patients to and from court and other OMH facilities.
Safety and Security Officers
OMH safety and security officers have New York State peace officer status which is granted under the Mental Hygiene Law (section 7.25), Public Health Law (section 455), and Criminal Procedure Law (section 2.10-12).
The Office of Mental Health uses the "Safety and Security Officer" title for its OMH police officers.
Officers are authorized to issue summonses and can affect an arrest. Some of the duties performed by officers include, but are not limited to, enforcing state and local laws, apprehending absconded patients, filling out motor vehicle accident reports and performing motor vehicle accident investigations within state grounds.
Security Hospital Treatment Assistants
The Office of Mental Health also has "Security Hospital Treatment Assistants", (SHTA's) Are non-sworn employees who provide assistance with psychiatric treatment and rehabilitation, However (SHTA's) are primarily responsible for the safety and security of incarcerated individuals diagnosed with mental illness who are considered to be dangerous to themselves and/or others. Security Hospital Treatment Assistants receive New York State peace officer status when transporting a convicted criminal per New York State Criminal Procedure Law 2.10-52.
- List of law enforcement agencies in New York
- New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Police
- "2006 New York Code - Safety.". JustiaUS Law.com. Justia. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "New York Criminal Procedure Law - ARTICLE 2". New York State Law. NY Criminal Procedure Law. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Safety and Security Officer 1 / Safety and Security Officer Trainee Hiring Form". Omh.state.ny.us. 2012-02-22. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "NEW YORK STATE Department of Civil Service Announces Examination Open to All Qualified Individuals". New York State Office of Mental Health. NEW YORK STATE Department of Civil Service. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- Information about Kendra's Law, mental health policy in NYC and problems at the NYS Office of Mental Health
- Mentally ill New Yorkers need help, article about overcrowding in NY State psychiatric facilities and response by Mental Health police to overcrowded conditions
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.