Netherfield is a small town three miles (5 km) east of Nottingham, England. It lies just outside the city boundary in the Borough of Gedling. It is between Colwick and Carlton in the NG4 postcode area, and near the River Trent.
Anciently, it was the Nether, or Lower Field of Carlton in the Willows within the Parish of Gedling covering some 168 acres (0.68 km2), two roods and 19 perches.
The ancient Nether Field was formed by the parochial boundaries and the effects of the eighteenth century enclosure of Gedling
The south-western boundary today is the Nottingham to Grantham railway line that follows the ancient course of the River Trent separating the Nether Field from Colwick Parish.
The south eastern boundary is also an old water course of the Trent forming the boundary of the Hesgang pasture which, until recent times belonged to Radcliffe on Trent which is now on the other side of the present course of the River Trent.
When in 1846 the Midland Railway Company opened their Nottingham to Lincoln line it formed the northwestern boundary of Netherfield as it was later known when it became a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1885.
It was the building of the Ambergate, Nottingham, Boston and Eastern Junction Railway line from Grantham to join with the Midland Railway which later Netherfield became well known for its railways and Colwick Motive Power Depot,(Circa 1869 - 13 April 1970).
Covering an area, as today from the north end of Victoria Road just passing the crossings of the former Nottingham - Gedling - Daybrook line, the eastern end of Gedling up to Rectory Junction Viaduct covering an area, end to end of one and a half to two miles (3 km).
During this time the population of Netherfield greatly increased from:
- 1801 - 60 people.
- 1891 - 2,648 people
- 1901 - 4,646 people.
Rows of terraced Victorian houses were built to accommodate their needs. This architecture remains characteristic of Netherfield. After the closure of Colwick Depot the population did drop slightly due to unemployment and businesses closing, but began to increase during the early 1980s.
Despite its small size, Netherfield still has its own train station. Carlton station is less than a mile away on the Nottingham - Lincoln line. The local schools are the Carlton Netherfield Junior and Infants schools. The nearest secondary school is the Carlton le Willows Academy. There is a large Morrisons store on Victoria Parkway near the A612 road.
Netherfield was the target of Zeppelin bombing in 1916 during the First World War. On the 25th September 1916, a zeppelin raid led by Kapitanleutnant Kraushaar, dropped bombs in a line from Newark to the city center.A single bomb was dropped on the corner of Cross Street and Dunstan street obliterating 6 houses. The houses were never rebuilt and the site was used as a children's play park.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (April 2010)|
- 44: City, Colwick, Netherfield, Gedling
- Citylink 2: City, Racecourse P&R, Colwick, Victoria Retail Park
- L74: Victoria Retail Park, Netherfield, Cavendish Road, Westdale Lane, Jessops Lane, Carlton Square, Netherfield, Victoria Retail Park
- 705: Victoria Retail Park, Netherfield, Emery's Road, Stoke Bardolph, Burton Joyce, Foxhill Road
- S10: Bakersfield, Sneinton, Colwick, Victoria Retail Park
- S11: St Anns, Thorneywood, Carlton Hill, Carlton, Netherfield, Victoria Park
- 73: Victoria Retail Park, Netherfield, Carlton Valley, Mapperley, St Anns, City, Sneinton, Bakersfield, Netherfield, Victoria Retail Park
- 73A: Victoria Retail Park, Netherfield, Bakersfield, Sneinton, City, St Anns, Mapperley, Carlton Valley, Netherfield, Victoria Retail Park
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.