|Naval Station Pascual Ledesma
Cavite Naval Base
|Fort San Felipe, San Roque, Cavite City in the Philippines|
A member of the Armed Forces of the Philippines Naval Special Operations Group participates in a battlefield exercise during a combat medic subject matter expert exchange at Naval Base Cavite, Philippines.
Location in the Philippines
|Area||9 hectares (22 acres)|
|Owner||Armed Forces of the Philippines|
|Controlled by||Philippine Navy|
|Built||late 16th century|
|Built by||Spanish East Indies|
|In use||Spanish shipyard: late 16th century – early 19th century
Spanish naval station: early 19th century – 1898
U.S. Naval facility: 1898–1971
Philippine Naval facility: 1971–present
|Battles/wars||Battle of Manila Bay|
|Events||Cavite Mutiny of 1872|
|Cmdre. Romeo Santiago Nebres, AFP|
|Garrison||Naval Sea Systems Command (NSSC)
Naval Logistics Center (NLC)
Naval Station Pascual Ledesma, also known as Cavite Naval Base or Cavite Navy Yard, is a military installation of the Navy of the Philippines in Cavite City in the Province of Cavite. The 9-hectare (22-acre) naval base is located at the easternmost end of Cavite Point in the San Roque district (specifically Fort San Felipe) of the city. It was named after Cmdre. Pascual Ledesma (b. May 17, 1843 – d. June 6, 1917), a leader of the Philippine revolution and the first Officer-In-Command of the Philippine Navy.
The port town of Cavite Nuevo was established after the Spanish colonizers found that the deep waters around the tip of Cavite Point (Cavite la Punta) are suitable for large ships and established the Astillero de Rivera (Rivera Shipyard). It became the main seaport of the City of Manila and the staging port for the Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade. After the demise of the galleon trade, the shipyard became the Spanish Arsenal.
American colonial period
When the sovereignty of the Philippines was ceded to the Americans after the Spanish–American War, the U.S. took over all the military stations left by the Spaniards including the Cavite Naval Yard. The American made several modifications and improvements, but also included the demolition of Fort Guadalupe and partially of Fort San Felipe.
World War II
In 1941, the 16th Naval District was established in the navy yard during the American colonial period. It is the same place the Japanese forces used as a headquarters after they conquered Cavite during the Second World War.
Change of name
In line with Philippine Navy General Order number 229 dated July 7, 2009, the naval installations were renamed to honor esteemed predecessors in the military/naval service who fought for the protection of the nation's sovereignty, territorial integrity, democracy, and the maritime interests of the country. With this, the Naval Base Cavite, the naval station in Fort San Felipe, was assigned the name Naval Station Pascual Ledesma.
Major commands and units
Naval Base Cavite provides support services to the Philippine Navy and other Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) tenant units in the base complex, such as refueling, re-watering, shore power connections, berthing, ferry services, tugboat assistance, sludge disposal services and housing.
Formerly the Naval Support Command (NASCOM), the Vaval Sea System Command operates the country's military shipyards providing repair and maintenance of all Navy ships and aircraft and their weapons. They develop new technologies for the Navy and maintains their communications and electronic equipment in order to sustain the naval defense capability of the Philippine Navy. It is the biggest industrial complex of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
NLC began as the OSP supply center under the finance branch of the Philippine Army for supporting the few vessels turned over by the US Navy. In October 1947, the supply center was elevated to a regular division and paved the way to the establishment of the general supply depot named as the Naval Supply Center in 1950. It was placed under control of the Commander, Naval Shore Establishment, later called the Fleet Support Command and the Naval Support Command in 1967.
It is now called the Naval Logistics Center. The depot procures and maintains, manages supplies and raw materials, operates equipment and facilities and render related services in support of the logistics requirement of Philippine Navy units.
Located within the base is the Cavite Naval Hospital (CNH), a medical facility that provides hospital and out-patient services to Philippine Navy personnel and their dependents. It is located on P. Zamora Extension/Reynoso Road,(Fort Bonifacio in Taguig City, Metro Manila.) adjacent to the navy chapel. The other naval hospital, Manila Navy Hospital is located in
- Naval Station Leovigildo Gantioqui (Naval Station San Miguel)
- Danilo Atienza Air Base, the former US Naval Station Sangley Point located across Cañacao Bay
- Fort San Felipe (Cavite)
- "Fuerza de San Felipe Neri". Muog.
- Arevalo, Lt. Col. Edgardo A. (2009-08-20). "Navy Renames Bases and Stations After Predecessors". The Philippine Navy Today. Retrieved on 2014.(Article is truncated.)
- Pike, John. "Philippine Navy Organization". GlobalSecurity.org. Retrieved on 2014-10-21.
- (2012-11-15). Philippine Navy (Hukbong Dagat ng Pilipinas)". Hukbong Dagat ng Pilipinas.
- "Stella Maris Chapel". Facebook. Retrieved on 2014-10-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Navy of the Philippines.|