The railroad ended regular passenger service on December 31, 1952, although limited excursion service continued into the 1970s.
The line's southern terminus was later cut back from Narragansett Pier, Rhode Island to Wakefield, Rhode Island, shortening the line to 6.2 miles. By 1981, the line was pared back to being just a 2-mile line between Kingston and Peace Dale, Rhode Island. Operations were suspended by 1981, and the line was never reopened.
Approximately 5.6 miles of the railroad's right of way was converted into the William C. O'Neill Bike Path (formerly known as the South County Bike Path), with first phase completed in 2000 and second phase in 2003. Phase three of the project is intended to reach the South County Museum in Narrangansett in summer of 2011.
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.