||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||Ahungalle, Sri Lanka|
|Education||Nalanda College Colombo|
|Occupation||Film Director, Dramatist, Actor, Playwright|
|Children||Slushna, Heshan and Tarindu|
Namel Weeramuni was born in Ahungalle in Balapitiya to a wholesale Cinnamon businessman father and housewife mother. After schooling at village school, Peradeniya Maha Vidyalaya and St. Luke’s College in Ratnapura, Namel entered Nalanda College Colombo. Namel was the President of Nalanda College English and Sinhala Literary Unions and lead debating teams in both languages.
- "Golu Birinda: When a dumb wife becomes talkative...". Sunday Observer. 2009-01-04. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "'Deegeka Avith' and 'Kandoskiriyawa'". Sunday Observer. 2010-07-04. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "Henry Jayasena: Last of the great Sinhala dramatists". Dailynews. 2009-11-13. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Remembering ‘Bandes’". Dailynews. 14 March 2011. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Veteran Namel still active: Revives Nattukkari". Sunday Times. August 9, 2009.
- "A legend returns". The Island. 2007-06-21.