|Born||Ahungalle, Sri Lanka|
|Education||Nalanda College Colombo|
|Occupation||Film Director, Dramatist, Actor, Playwright|
|Children||Slushna, Heshan and Tarindu|
Namel was born in Ahungalle in Balapitiya to a wholesale Cinnamon businessman father and housewife mother. After schooling at village school, Peradeniya Maha Vidyalaya, St. Luke’s College in Ratnapura Namel entered Nalanda College Colombo. At Nalanda he excelled both in sports and literary activities. Later he entered University of Peradeniya and graduated with a degree in Sociology. At university few of his contemporaries were Jayantha Dhanapala, J. B. Disanayake and Sarath Amunugama. He was did play rugby and football and was a boxer at university. namel was also the second Communist president in the university.
- "Golu Birinda: When a dumb wife becomes talkative...". Sunday Observer. 2009-01-04. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "'Deegeka Avith' and 'Kandoskiriyawa'". Sunday Observer. 2010-07-04. Retrieved 24 January 2012.
- "Henry Jayasena: Last of the great Sinhala dramatists". Dailynews. 2009-11-13. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Remembering ‘Bandes’". Dailynews. 14 March 2011. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Veteran Namel still active: Revives Nattukkari". Sunday Times. Sunday August 09, 2009.
- "A legend returns". The Island. 2007/06/21.