Nagarparkar City view from Karoonjhar Mountains
Nagarparkar (Urdu: نگرپاركر, Sindhi: ننگرپارڪر),original word Nangar Parkar is a town in Tharparkar District in Sindh province of Pakistan. Located at a distance of 150 km from Mithi, in Sindh, Pakistan.
The town is at the foot of the Karoonjhar Hills. It is situated at a distance of about 15 km from the Indian border. At one time the area was under the sea, which had to be crossed; the name "Parkar" means "to cross over". Nagarparkar has on its north Taluka Chachro, and on its west is Taluka Mithi of Tharparkar District, while on east of it lies Barmer (Rajasthan) and on its south is Run Katchh. The area surrounding the city is a rocky belt called Parkar, and the remaining part is a sandy area.
The Karoonjhar hills surround Nagarparkar for 16 miles. The granite stone of this mountain is used for making tiles. There is a saying that the Karoonjhar hills provide 1-1/4 kilos of gold every day in the form of red granite stone, china clay, and honey. In summer, different sounds are audible from the rock due to sulphur deposits.
The population of the taluka is 153,106, out of which 90,893 are Hindus and 62,213 are Muslims. There is one rest house beneath the Karoonjhar Mountain, but it partially collapsed during the 2001 earthquake. The town is an ancient place of Hindu worship. Sardharo, Anchlesar, and Jain temples are situated there.
The Bhudesar Mosque was built by Nasir-ud-Din Mahmud Shah of Gujarat in 1505 AD. It is built in the Hindu/Jain architect style.
Jain Temples of Nagarparkar and nearby region
The region once had a significant Jain population. Shri Gaudi Parshvanth Stavan describes the Parkar country as the most glorious of all regions of India. The remains of a number of Jain temples are popular tourist attractions and heritage sites in the region.
- Nagar ‘bazaar’ temple: It is present in the main bazar of the Nangar Parkar town. The structure of the temple, including the shikhar and the torana gateway is completely intact. It was apparently in use until the independence of Pakistan in 1947, and perhaps for some years even after that that. There is also a ruined temple outside of the town.
- Bhodesar temples: Bhodesar, 3 miles from Nagar, was the region's capital during Sodha rule. Remains of three temples, are present. In 1897, two of them were being used as cattle stalls and the third had holes in the back. The oldest temple, was built in the classical style with stones without any mortar, built around 9th century. It is built on a high platform and reached by a series of steps carved into the rock. It has beautifully carved huge stone columns and other structural elements. The remaining walls are instable and partially collapsed. Parts of the building had been dismantled by the locals who used the bricks to construct their homes. It is perhaps the most spectacular of the monuments in Sindh. The two other Jain temples are said to have been built in 1375 CE and 1449 CE built of kanjur and redstone, with fine carvings and corbelled domes.
Karoonjar mountain temple
- Karoonjar mountain temple: at the base of the mountain.
- Viravah: There are a number of ruins of Jain temples here. One of the temples had 27 devakulikas in it. The ruins of legendary Parinagar are nearby. One of the temples is in good preservation.
- Gori Mandir: 14 miles from Viravah. The legendary temple with 52 subsidiary shrines was built in AD 1375-6.
The area experiences extremes of climate due to the rocky terrain.
- ^ Shri Gaudi Parshvanth Stavan, Bhanvarlal Nahta, Shri Gaudi Parchvanath Tirth, Muni Jinavijaya Abhinandan Granth, Ed. Dalsukh Malvania, Jinavijayaji Samman Samiti, Jaipur, 1971, p. 263-275
- ^ Vanishing temples of Thar and Nagar Parkar, Ameer Hamza, Dawn, October 21, 2006 http://archives.dawn.com/weekly/gallery/archive/061021/gallery3.htm
Coordinates: 24°21′00″N 70°47′00″E / 24.35°N 70.7833°E
2011 12 03 Trip to Nagarparkar Indo Pak Border View from Choorio Village, Nagarparkar
Pervaiz Lodhie's visit to Nagarparkar
Pervaiz Lodhie's visit to Nagarparkar in District Tharparkar, Sindh, Pakistan. May 2012 Solar LED Lantern Distribution in Bhako Village Product page: http://...
Trip To Nagarparkar, Sindh, Pakistan
Thar & Nagarparkar Border.
Two Temples in Nagarparkar, Sindh Province of Pakistan
These two temples were also filmed in the year 2000 during a visit of the border town of Nagarparkar in the Sindh province of Pakistan. The border of India i...
Durga Mata Temple Nagarparkar.flv
Durga Mata Temple Village Choryo taluka Nagarparkar, District Tharparkar, Sindh, Pakistan.
Jain Temple of Nagar Parkar
Edited by : Raheel Qureshi Video by : Hussain Afzal. Assitant Editor : Daniya Iliyas.
Women Cultural dance Nagarparkar.
Women Cultural dance, Village Dhanagaam Nagarparkar.
2011-12-03 - Trip to Nagarparkar - From Choorio Village to Kasbo Village
2011-12-03 - Trip to Nagarparkar - From Choorio Village to Kasbo Village.
Ramapir Mandir @ Nagarparkar (Sindh State)
Ramapir Mandir is an old Hindu temple near Nagarparkar in Thar desert of Sindh, Pakistan. Sindhis (Sindhi: سنڌي ) (Urdu: سندھی ) are a Sindhi speaking socio...
China clay factory in Nagarparkar -Part III
China clay being poured in mixing hole by a labourer in Nagarparkar, Sindh.
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 17:41:15 -0800
RAWALPINDI: The second consignment of 42 tons of relief items was dispatched for drought affected people of Tharparkar from an army relief camp here on Tuesday. The six-truck consignment left for Hyderabad for onward dispatch to Chachro, Diplo, Dali, ...
Sat, 21 Feb 2015 17:40:12 -0800
“The state is missing when it comes to saving temples,” he lamented, adding that a glorious part of our heritage in Nagarparkar area in Sindh was going to change forever. “The book not only reminds us about what is lost but also about what had been ...
The News International
Sat, 29 Mar 2014 19:24:15 -0700
HYDERABAD: An ecotourism project in the outskirts of Nagarparkar – a town in the Tharparkar district – was launched on Friday. The small grant programme (SGP) of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) funded the project under the Global ...
The Express Tribune
Fri, 08 Jul 2011 11:04:50 -0700
Nagarparkar, one of the four talukas of the Tharparkar District, is exceptional in scenic, historic and cultural terms for a number of reasons. It contains the dramatic Karunjar Hills, which rise to 300 metres. They are made of pink granite with deep ...
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:37:30 -0700
KARACHI, Oct 31: In an effort to revive the population of vultures that has sharply gone down over the past 10 to 15 years in the country, a sanctuary for the species is being established in Nagarparkar, where the birds have recently been seen nesting ...
Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:37:30 -0700
KARACHI, April 8: More than 60 plant species have been scientifically recorded for the first time in Nagarparkar in a recent study conducted at Karachi University's botany department. The research, entitled 'Ethnobotanical and taxonomic studies of ...
Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:03:52 -0800
These experts from Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences (LUMHS) Jamshoro were bifurcated in different groups and dispatched to Islamkot, Mithi, Nagarparkar, Chhachhro and Mithi. The team had reached Tharparkar on Wednesday under ...
The Express Tribune
The Express Tribune
Fri, 05 Dec 2014 13:49:18 -0800
This elderly man, sharing eyewitness account, narrated how Hindus and Muslims protected their hometowns in the 1965 and 1971 Pakistan-India wars. “In 1971, Nagarparkar and Islamkot were under occupation of Indian troops who had hoisted their flag.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.