Nagarparkar City view from Karoonjhar Mountains
Nagarparkar (Urdu: نگرپاركر, Sindhi: ننگرپارڪر),original word Nangar Parkar is a town in Tharparkar District in Sindh province of Pakistan. Located at a distance of 150 km from Mithi, in Sindh, Pakistan.
The town is at the foot of the Karoonjhar Hills. It is situated at a distance of about 132 km from the Indian border. At one time the area was under the sea, which had to be crossed; the name "Parkar" means "to cross over". Nagarparkar has on its north Taluka Chachro, and on its west is Taluka Mithi of Tharparkar District, while on east of it lies Barmer (Rajasthan) and on its south is Run Katchh. The area surrounding the city is a rocky belt called Parkar, and the remaining part is a sandy area.
The Karoonjhar hills surround Nagarparkar for 16 miles. The granite stone of this mountain is used for making tiles. There is a saying that the Karoonjhar hills provide 1-1/4 kilos of gold every day in the form of red granite stone, china clay, and honey. In summer, different sounds are audible from the rock due to sulphur deposits.
The population of the taluka is 153,106, out of which 90,893 are Hindus and 62,213 are Muslims. There is one rest house beneath the Karoonjhar Mountain, but it partially collapsed during the 2001 earthquake. The town is an ancient place of Hindu worship. Sardharo, Anchlesar, and Jain temples are situated there.
The Bhudesar Mosque was built by Nasir-ud-Din Mahmud Shah of Gujarat in 1505 AD. It is built in the Hindu/Jain architect style.
Jain Temples of Nagarparkar and nearby region
The region once had a significant Jain population. Shri Gaudi Parshvanth Stavan describes the Parkar country as the most glorious of all regions of India. The remains of a number of Jain temples are popular tourist attractions and heritage sites in the region.
- Nagar ‘bazaar’ temple: It is present in the main bazar of the Nangar Parkar town. The structure of the temple, including the shikhar and the torana gateway is completely intact. It was apparently in use until the independence of Pakistan in 1947, and perhaps for some years even after that. There is also a ruined temple outside of the town.
- Bhodesar temples: Bhodesar, 3 miles from Nagar, was the region's capital during Sodha rule. Remains of three temples, are present. In 1897, two of them were being used as cattle stalls and the third had holes in the back. The oldest temple, was built in the classical style with stones without any mortar, built around 9th century. It is built on a high platform and reached by a series of steps carved into the rock. It has beautifully carved huge stone columns and other structural elements. The remaining walls are instable and partially collapsed. Parts of the building had been dismantled by the locals who used the bricks to construct their homes. It is perhaps the most spectacular of the monuments in Sindh. The two other Jain temples are said to have been built in 1375 CE and 1449 CE built of kanjur and redstone, with fine carvings and corbelled domes.
Karoonjar mountain temple
- Karoonjar mountain temple: at the base of the mountain.
- Viravah: There are a number of ruins of Jain temples here. One of the temples had 27 devakulikas in it. The ruins of legendary Parinagar are nearby. One of the temples is in good preservation.
- Gori Mandir: 14 miles from Viravah. The legendary temple with 52 subsidiary shrines was built in AD 1375-6.
The area experiences extremes of climate due to the rocky terrain.
- ^ Shri Gaudi Parshvanth Stavan, Bhanvarlal Nahta, Shri Gaudi Parchvanath Tirth, Muni Jinavijaya Abhinandan Granth, Ed. Dalsukh Malvania, Jinavijayaji Samman Samiti, Jaipur, 1971, p. 263-275
- ^ Vanishing temples of Thar and Nagar Parkar, Ameer Hamza, Dawn, October 21, 2006 http://archives.dawn.com/weekly/gallery/archive/061021/gallery3.htm
Coordinates: 24°21′00″N 70°47′00″E / 24.35°N 70.7833°E
2011 12 03 Trip to Nagarparkar Indo Pak Border View from Choorio Village, Nagarparkar
2011-12-03 - Trip to Nagarparkar - From Choorio Village to Kasbo Village
2011-12-03 - Trip to Nagarparkar - From Choorio Village to Kasbo Village.
Two Temples in Nagarparkar, Sindh Province of Pakistan
These two temples were also filmed in the year 2000 during a visit of the border town of Nagarparkar in the Sindh province of Pakistan. The border of India is ...
Trip To Nagarparkar, Sindh, Pakistan
Thar & Nagarparkar Border.
Durga Mata Temple Nagarparkar.flv
Durga Mata Temple Village Choryo taluka Nagarparkar, District Tharparkar, Sindh, Pakistan.
Tour of NagarParkar ( Near The Border of Rajhistan )
due to the situation of india and pakistan, Pakistan Ranger didnt allow us to go near the border.
Karoonjhar Hills, Nagarparkar
Karoonjhar Hills, Nagarparkar .. A Temple Between The Hills.
Women Cultural dance Nagarparkar.
Women Cultural dance, Village Dhanagaam Nagarparkar.
Jain Temple of Nagar Parkar
Shiv Mandir in Nagarparkar - interview with the priest
This temple is located about a kilometre or so into the mountain and is a bit of a sandy trek through the valley. It is very far from Karachi, 6 hours by road to Mithi ...
Thu, 19 Nov 2015 09:03:45 -0800
Mosques are managed under the disguise of social welfare organisation in districts like Diplo, Nagarparkar, Mithi and other parts of Sindh,”. He reported that “Hafiz Saeed's organisation operating in the desert area of Thar was allowed to collect hides ...
Tue, 10 Nov 2015 02:44:43 -0800
Border Security Force(BSF) has held 9 Pakistanis close to Kutch/Banaskantha international border in Gujarat. Out of 9 Pakistanis held, 7 are minor while two adults are their mother-father. They are all Hindus from a village in Nagarparkar belt. Primary ...
The News International
Sat, 29 Mar 2014 19:24:15 -0700
HYDERABAD: An ecotourism project in the outskirts of Nagarparkar – a town in the Tharparkar district – was launched on Friday. The small grant programme (SGP) of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) funded the project under the Global ...
The Express Tribune
The Express Tribune
Fri, 08 Jul 2011 11:04:50 -0700
Nagarparkar, one of the four talukas of the Tharparkar District, is exceptional in scenic, historic and cultural terms for a number of reasons. It contains the dramatic Karunjar Hills, which rise to 300 metres. They are made of pink granite with deep ...
Mon, 31 Aug 2015 17:56:15 -0700
KARACHI/NANGARPARKER: At the Baanhn Beli office in Nagarparkar, Tharparkar, Sindh, close to the Pakistan-India border, a new project was launched with a simple yet colourful, well-attended event to prepare a comprehensive national strategy to protect ...
Times of India
Thu, 08 Oct 2015 10:17:59 -0700
"The BSF, Gujarat Frontier, had yesterday apprehended a Pakistani citizen identified as Khoda Koli, a villager of Surachand village of Nagarparkar tehsil in Sindh province of Pakistani, and later handed him over to police," Assistant Commander V S ...
Mon, 14 Sep 2015 18:07:30 -0700
It is pertinent to mention here that an earlier programme 'Vulture Captive Breeding' is also in progress by WWF-Pakistan, whereas a 'Vulture Restaurant' programme was launched in 2009 in Nagarparkar, Sindh, by the Dharti Development Society, an NGO ...
Daily News & Analysis
Daily News & Analysis
Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:54:54 -0700
According to the PHS, Hindu community here faced land grabbing, attacks and kidnappings while forced conversions, incidents of temple burning, rape and murders were reported from Sakrand, Ghotki and Nagarparkar districts in the year. "What is upsetting ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.