|Traded as||NASDAQ: NDAQ
S&P 500 Component
|Headquarters||One Liberty Plaza
New York City, New York, The USA
|Area served||United States, Europe|
|Key people||Donald Edward (Chairman)
Robert Greifeld (CEO)
|Products||Derivatives, equity trading platforms, futures and options markets, market data, securities exchanges|
|Revenue||US$ 3.438 billion (2011)|
|Operating income||US$ 678 million (2011)|
|Net income||US$ 387 million (2011)|
|Total assets||US$ 14.09 billion (2011)|
|Total equity||US$ 4.976 billion (2011)|
The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. is an American multinational financial services corporation that owns and operates the NASDAQ stock market and eight European stock exchanges in the Nordic and Baltic regions and Armenia under the NASDAQ OMX banner. It is headquartered in New York City, and its president and chief executive officer is Robert Greifeld.
- 1 History
- 2 Additional Services
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Merger attempt with London Stock Exchange
In December 2005, the London Stock Exchange Group (LSE) rejected a £1.6 billion takeover offer from Macquarie Bank. The LSE described the offer as "derisory." It then received a bid in March 2006 for £2.4 billion from NASDAQ, which was also rejected by the LSE. NASDAQ later pulled its bid, and less than two weeks later on April 11, 2006, struck a deal with LSE's largest shareholder, Ameriprise Financial's Threadneedle Asset Management unit, to acquire all of that firm's stake, consisting of 35.4 million shares, at £11.75 per share. NASDAQ also purchased 2.69 million additional shares, resulting in a total stake of 15%. While the seller of those shares was undisclosed, it occurred simultaneously with a sale by Scottish Widows of 2.69 million shares. The move was seen as an effort to force LSE to negotiate either a partnership or eventual merger, as well as to block other suitors such as NYSE Euronext, owner of the New York Stock Exchange.
Subsequent purchases increased NASDAQ's stake to 29%, holding off competing bids for several months. However only a further 0.4% of shareholders accepted the offer by the deadline and therefore the offer was rejected  on February 10, 2007.
Boston and Philadelphia Exchanges purchase
On May 25, 2007, NASDAQ agreed to buy the Swedish-Finnish financial company that controls 7 Nordic and Baltic stock exchanges OMX for USD 3.7 billion to form NASDAQ OMX Group. As of February 27, 2008, the deal was completed.
Acquisition of Thomson Reuters businesses
On December 12, 2012, NASDAQ OMX announced that it would acquire Thomson Reuters' investor relations, public relations and multimedia businesses for $390 million in cash. NASDAQ OMX completed the purchase on June 3, 2013. 
Global Information Services
In January 2013, NASDAQ OMX announced that it would combine its global data products and index businesses into a unit called Global Information Services, as part of an ongoing effort to broaden its portfolio.
Directors Desk | DirectorsDesk.com
On July 27, 2010, NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. has signed an agreement to acquire SMARTS Group, the world-leading technology provider of market surveillance solutions to exchanges, regulators and brokers.
NASDAQ OMX sold its stake in the Carpenter Moore D&O Insurance in 2009.
- "Annual Results 2011". NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- Patrick, M.; Lucchetti, A., Reilly, D., Taylor, E. (2006-04-11). "Nasdaq Acquires 15% of LSE". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Scottish Widows says has sold 2.7 mln LSE shares at 1,175 pence". Forbes. 2006-04-12.
- Ortega, E. (2006-04-11). "Nasdaq Buys 15 Percent Stake in LSE for $782 Million". Bloomberg News.
- "LSE woos Tokyo after US bid fails". BBC News. 2007-02-11.
- "Nasdaq to buy Nordic bourse group OMX for $3.7 bln". Reuters. 2007-05-25.
- "Nasdaq OMX buys Thomson Reuters units". Financial Times. 2012-12-12. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Nasdaq buys 3 businesses from Thomson Reuters". Bloomberg Businessweek. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "Nasdaq OMX continues streamlining efforts", Financial Times, January 29, 2013. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "Nasdaq to acquire Directors Desk, a Technology Company for Corporate Boards". primenewswire.com. 2007-06-29.
- "Overview". NASDAQ OMX GlobeNewswire Overview. GlobeNewswire, Inc. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "NASDAQ OMX to acquire world-leading market surveillance system provider SMARTS". 2010-07-27.
- Official website
- NASDAQ OMX Group to Complete Acquisition of The Philadelphia Stock Exchange
- NASDAQ OMX Group Completes Acquisition of Boston Stock Exchange