|Status||Urban district (until 1938)
Municipal borough (after 1938)
|Succeeded by||London Borough of Bexley|
Erith was a local government district in north west Kent from 1894 to 1965 around the town of Erith. It also included the generally suburban areas of Northumberland Heath, Belvedere, and parts of Barnehurst, Bexleyheath, Crayford and the SE2 London Postal District of Abbey Wood.
It was created an urban district by the Local Government Act 1894. The district ran its own tram services as Erith Urban District Council Tramways until they became the responsibility of the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933. In 1938 it gained the status of municipal borough.
In 1965 it was abolished by the London Government Act 1963 and its former area transferred to Greater London from the administrative county of Kent. Its former area was combined with that of other districts to form the present-day London Borough of Bexley.
- Reed, J., London Tramways, (1997)
- Local Government Act 1894
- London Government Act 1963
|This London location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.