|Professor Moshe Vardi|
|Born||Moshe Ya'akov Vardi
July 4, 1954
IBM Almaden Research Center
|Alma mater||Bar-Ilan University
Weizmann Institute of Science
|Thesis||The Implication Problem for Data Dependencies in the Relational Model (1981)|
|Doctoral advisor||Catriel Beeri|
Moshe Ya'akov Vardi (Hebrew: משה יעקב ורדי) is a Professor of Computer Science at Rice University, USA. He is the Karen Ostrum George Professor in Computational Engineering, Distinguished Service Professor, and Director of the Ken Kennedy Institute for Information Technology. His interests focus on applications of logic to computer science, including database theory, finite-model theory, knowledge in multi-agent systems, computer-aided verification and reasoning, and teaching logic across the curriculum. He is a renowned expert in model checking, constraint satisfaction and database theory, common knowledge (logic), and theoretical computer science.
Moshe Y. Vardi is the author of over 400 technical papers as well as the editor of several collections. He has authored the books Reasoning About Knowledge  with Ronald Fagin, Joseph Halpern, and Yoram Moses, and Finite Model Theory and Its Applications with Erich Grädel, Phokion G. Kolaitis, Leonid Libkin, Maarten Marx, Joel Spencer, Yde Venema, and Scott Weinstein. He is also the editor-in-chief of Communications of the ACM.
He chaired the Computer Science Department at Rice University from January 1994 until June 2002. Prior to joining Rice in 1993, he was at the IBM Almaden Research Center, where he managed the Mathematics and Related Computer Science Department. Dr Vardi received his Ph.D. from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1981.
Vardi is the recipient of three IBM Outstanding Innovation Awards, a co-winner of the 2000 Gödel Prize, a co-winner of the 2005 ACM Paris Kanellakis Theory and Practice Award, and a co-winner of the LICS 2006 Test-of-Time Award. He is also the recipient of the 2008 ACM Presidential Award, the 2010 Distinguished Service Award from the Computing Research Association, and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Computer Society's 2011 Harry H. Goode Award.
He holds honorary doctorates from Saarland University, Germany, and the University of Orleans, France. Dr Vardi is an editor of several international journals and the president of the International Federation of Computational Logicians. He is a Guggenheim Fellow, as well as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the American Association for Artificial Intelligence. He was designated Highly Cited Researcher by the Institute for Scientific Information, and was elected as a member of the US National Academy of Engineering, the European Academy of Sciences, and the Academia Europaea. He was named to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2010. He has also co-chaired the ACM Task Force on Job Migration.
- Moshe Y. Vardi at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "www.cs.rice.edu/~vardi". Retrieved 2012-06-20.
- BOYD, JADE (July 22, 2011). "Rice’s Moshe Vardi honored as Distinguished Service Professor". Rice University. Archived from the original on April 10, 2012. Retrieved April 10, 2012. "Rice University computer scientist Moshe Vardi has been named a Distinguished Service Professor, one of the university’s most prestigious faculty appointments."
- Moshe Y. Vardi from the ACM Portal
- Winslett, M. (2006). "Moshe Vardi speaks out on the proof, the whole proof, and nothing but the proof". ACM SIGMOD Record 35: 56. doi:10.1145/1121995.1122008.
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- List of publications from Google Scholar
- Vardi, Moshe Y.; Fagin, Ronald; Halpern, Joseph; Yoram Moses (2003). Reasoning About Knowledge. Cambridge, Mass: The MIT Press. ISBN 0-262-56200-6.
- Weinstein, Scott; Erich Gradel; Kolaitis, Phokion; Leonid Libkin; Maarten Marx; Spencer, Joel H.; Vardi, Moshe Y.; Venema, Yde (2007). Finite model theory and its applications. Berlin: Springer. ISBN 3-540-00428-9.
- Vardi, M. Y. (2012). "Artificial intelligence: Past and future". Communications of the ACM 55: 5. doi:10.1145/2063176.2063177.
- List of Guggenheim Fellowships awarded in 2005#V
- Rice's Moshe Y. Vardi elected fellow of American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Jade Boyd, "Rice’s Moshe Vardi honored as Distinguished Service Professor", (July 22, 2011), Rice University News