Miss Teen USA 1988, the sixth Miss Teen USA pageant, was televised live from San Bernardino, California on July 25, 1988. At the conclusion of the final competition, Mindy Duncan of Oregon was crowned by outgoing queen Kristi Addis of Mississippi.
This was the first of two years the pageant was held in San Bernardino. It was hosted by Dick Clark for the first time, with color commentary from Tracy Scoggins.
Map showing placements by state
- Miss Congeniality: Anna Mingus (Alabama) and Missy Pierce (Tennessee) (tie)
- Miss Photogenic: Kathleen McClelland (Illinois)
- Best State Costume: Alison Moreno (California)
Final competition scores
- First runner-up
- Second runner-up
- Third runner-up
- Fourth runner-up
- Oregon placed for the first time since 1984.
- New York and Louisiana each placed for the third consecutive year. Louisiana matched its best previous placement, second runner-up, and this was not beaten until Miss Teen USA 1999 when Sarah Thornhill placed first runner-up.
- Illinois placed for the first time since 1985, and won their third Miss Photogenic award.
- Alabama placed for the first time, and has yet to better their fourth runner-up placement.
The Miss Teen USA 1988 delegates were:
- After competing in the preliminary competition and winning the Best State Costume award, Alison Moreno (California) was disqualified from the final competition after she left her room without a chaperone, contrary to pageant rules.
- Delegates who later competed in the Miss USA pageant were:
- Jill Vasquez became one of the directors of the Miss California USA and Miss California Teen USA pageants in 2007.
- Jessica Collins became a successful actress who played Meredith Davies on Tru Calling.
- ^ Grimaldi, James (1988-05-27). "Teen barred from pageant seen without chaperone // `She left her hallway, was reported missing'". The Orange County Register. p. A03.