Michael Wex (born September 12, 1954) is a Canadian novelist, playwright, translator, lecturer, performer, and author of books on language and literature. His specialty is Yiddish and his book Born to Kvetch was a surprise bestseller in 2005. Wex lives in Toronto with his wife Marilla and daughter Sabina.
Michael Wex was born in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada to a family of descendants of Rebbes of Ciechanów and Stryków. He has taught at the University of Toronto and the University of Michigan.
- The Frumkiss Family Business. Toronto: Knopf Canada, 2010. ISBN 978-0-307-39776-8
- How to Be a Mentsh (and Not a Shmuck). Harper, 2009. ISBN 978-0-061-77111-8
- Just Say Nu: Yiddish for Every Occasion (When English Just Won't Do). New York: St. Martin's Press, 2007. ISBN 0-312-36462-8
- Born to Kvetch: Yiddish Language And Culture in All Its Moods. Publisher: St. Martin's Press (September 1, 2005). ISBN 0-312-30741-1
- Born to Kvetch (Audio CD). ISBN 0-06-113122-9
- Shlepping the Exile, 1993, ISBN 0-88962-542-5
- The Adventures of Micah Mushmelon, Boy Talmudist. 2007.
- Die Abenteuer des Micah Mushmelon, kindlicher Talmudist (dt. von Heiko Lehmann, Wagenbach 2005)
- Classic Yiddish Stories of S.Y. Abramovitsh, Sholem Aleichem, and I.L. Peretz. (Michael Wex, translator) 2004. ISBN 0-8156-0760-1
- The Wishing-Ring by S.Y. Abramovitsh (Michael Wex, translator). 2003. ISBN 0-8156-3035-2
- God in Paris (performance)
- Sex in Yiddish (performance)
- Judenverwolkung, or Meshiekh's Tsaytn (performance)
- I Just Want to Jewify (The Yiddish Revenge on Wagner) (performance)
The Art of the Kvetch: Jewish Humor as Secularism | The New School
Jewish Studies at Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts | http://www.newschool.edu/lang/jewish-studies The modern tradition of Jewish humor eme...
Michael Wex: Don't Knock Me a Teakettle
Michael Wex at the Paper Bridge Summer Arts Festival, National Yiddish Book Center, Amherst, MA. July 10, 2008..
Michael Wex on Joseph Opatoshu's Influence on Yiddish Literature
Michael Wex and the lending library
A Belgian library is lending out people...Michael Wex, Yiddishist, author and MC, muses on this concept.
Michael Wex reads from The Frumkiss Family Business at Word on the Street 2010
Michael Wex reads from his novel "The Frumkiss Family Business" at the 2010 Word on the Street festival.
Klez Kamp 2006: Michael Wex in Staff Concert
Klez Kamp 2006: Michael Wex in Staff Concert Videography & Editing by Meredith Holch.
Michael Wex Indiegogo
Michael Wex, bestselling author of Born to Kvetch, is enlisting reader support for a translation of a classic Yiddish novel that he wants to publish free of ...
Olive TV: Michael Wex
Michael Wex, author of Born to Kvetch and the forthcoming Just Say Nu, talks about his books and answers our questions.
Michael Wex - Emcee
Michael Wex is a renowned and sought-after Emcee owing to his ability to improvise and keep an audience entertained between acts. Here are three clips showin...
Rescue and Read a Lost Yiddish Classic - Michael Wex and Dan Opatoshu
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/new-authorized-translation-of-a-classic-yiddish-novel-into-english - Joseph Opatoshu's 1921 Yiddish novel "In Poylishe Veld...
PR Web (press release)
Sat, 01 Mar 2014 00:03:45 -0800
Lilith, The Night Demon, is the extraordinary and often bizarre score to Lilith, composed by award-winning composer, Josh Horowitz, features both choral and instrumental ensembles as well as Heather Klein (Lilith), Anthony Russell (Adam), and Michael ...
Jewish Daily Forward
Jewish Daily Forward
Tue, 11 Feb 2014 12:04:50 -0800
In his book “How to Be a Mentsh (and Not a Shmuck),” author Michael Wex explains how the main difference between the mensch and the shmuck is selfishness and arrogance. Mensches are compassionate and righteous, and shmucks, well not so much.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Michael Wex with people all over the world in our discussions.