Michael Wex (born September 12, 1954) is a Canadian novelist, playwright, translator, lecturer, performer, and author of books on language and literature. His specialty is Yiddish and his book Born to Kvetch was a surprise bestseller in 2005. Wex lives in Toronto with his wife Marilla and daughter Sabina.
Michael Wex was born in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada to a family of descendants of Rebbes of Ciechanów and Stryków. He has taught at the University of Toronto and the University of Michigan.
- The Frumkiss Family Business. Toronto: Knopf Canada, 2010. ISBN 978-0-307-39776-8
- How to Be a Mentsh (and Not a Shmuck). Harper, 2009. ISBN 978-0-061-77111-8
- Just Say Nu: Yiddish for Every Occasion (When English Just Won't Do). New York: St. Martin's Press, 2007. ISBN 0-312-36462-8
- Born to Kvetch: Yiddish Language And Culture in All Its Moods. Publisher: St. Martin's Press (September 1, 2005). ISBN 0-312-30741-1
- Born to Kvetch (Audio CD). ISBN 0-06-113122-9
- Shlepping the Exile, 1993, ISBN 0-88962-542-5
- The Adventures of Micah Mushmelon, Boy Talmudist. 2007.
- Die Abenteuer des Micah Mushmelon, kindlicher Talmudist (dt. von Heiko Lehmann, Wagenbach 2005)
- Classic Yiddish Stories of S.Y. Abramovitsh, Sholem Aleichem, and I.L. Peretz. (Michael Wex, translator) 2004. ISBN 0-8156-0760-1
- The Wishing-Ring by S.Y. Abramovitsh (Michael Wex, translator). 2003. ISBN 0-8156-3035-2
- God in Paris (performance)
- Sex in Yiddish (performance)
- Judenverwolkung, or Meshiekh's Tsaytn (performance)
- I Just Want to Jewify (The Yiddish Revenge on Wagner) (performance)
The Art of the Kvetch: Jewish Humor as Secularism | The New School
Jewish Studies at Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts | http://www.newschool.edu/lang/jewish-studies The modern tradition of Jewish humor eme...
Michael Wex: Don't Knock Me a Teakettle
Michael Wex at the Paper Bridge Summer Arts Festival, National Yiddish Book Center, Amherst, MA. July 10, 2008..
Olive TV: Michael Wex
Michael Wex, author of Born to Kvetch and the forthcoming Just Say Nu, talks about his books and answers our questions.
Michael Wex on Joseph Opatoshu's Influence on Yiddish Literature
Hasidic Wife-Swapping Orgies?!? Michael Wex - Yiddish
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/new-authorized-translation-of-a-classic-yiddish-novel-into-english/x/3131567 - Joseph Opatoshu's 1921 Yiddish novel, "In th...
Michael Wex Indiegogo
Michael Wex, bestselling author of Born to Kvetch, is enlisting reader support for a translation of a classic Yiddish novel that he wants to publish free of ...
Michael Wex on Pesach Dishes
Michael Wex at the Paper Bridge Summer Arts Festival, National Yiddish Book Center, Amherst, MA. July 10, 2008.
Morning Jew Ep. 41: Born to Kvetch author Michael Wex (7-10-14)
Join us @MorningJewShow Get the show in your inbox: http:/morningJewz.com Comics Heather Gold (@heathr) and Katie Halper (@kthalps) look at the headlines and...
Marc Chagall and Joseph Opatoshu - Yiddish Culture - Michael Wex and Dan Opatoshu
Help Michael Wex translate this lost classic into a free e-book: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/new-authorized-translation-of-a-classic-yiddish-novel-into...
Michael Wex - Born to Kvetch
Author of the bestselling book on Yiddish ever - Born to Kvetch: Yiddish Language and Culture in All of Its Moods - novelist, playwright, lecturer, performer...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter