|Motto: We Serve|
Wandsworth within the County of London
|HQ||Town Hall, Wandsworth High Street|
|Origin||Wandsworth District Board of Works|
|Succeeded by||London Borough of Wandsworth
London Borough of Lambeth
|Governance||Wandsworth Borough Council|
Coat of arms of the borough council
The borough was formed from five civil parishes: Clapham, Putney, Streatham, Tooting Graveney and Wandsworth. Before 1899 these parishes, together with Battersea, had been administered by the Wandsworth District Board of Works.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms were granted on 6 July 1901. The blue wavy division represents the Rivers Wandle and Thames. French Huguenot refugees arrived in the area in 1685, and the blue drops represent the tears of their struggle. The five stars represent the constituent former parishes. At the top is a long boat, with a dragon's head, commemorating 9th century Danish incursions along the river. The borough council's motto was We Serve.
Population and area
The Borough covered 9,130 acres (36.9 km2), which made it the largest in the County of London. The population recorded in the Census was:
Civil Parish 1801–1899
When the metropolitan boroughs were replaced with larger London boroughs in 1965, this borough was split. The core area of Wandsworth (about 11 km²) became part of the London Borough of Wandsworth, along with the former Metropolitan Borough of Battersea, but the areas of Streatham and Clapham (totalling 4 km²) became part of the London Borough of Lambeth.
- London County Council (Civic Heraldry) accessed 15 Jan 2008
- Statistical Abstract for London, 1901 (Vol. IV); Census tables for Metropolitan Borough of Battersea
|This London location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.