The Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF), founded in 2001, is a nonprofit international industry consortium, dedicated to worldwide adoption of Carrier Ethernet networks and services.
The forum is composed of leading service providers, major incumbent local exchange carriers, network equipment vendors, and other networking companies that share an interest in Metro Ethernet. It had 220 members as of November 2014.
The MEF is a combination of a technical and a marketing forum to promote the adoption of Metro Ethernet. This is a key differentiator from other standard bodies such as the Internet Engineering Task Force and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). The forum makes recommendations to existing standards bodies and creates specifications that are not being developed by (or fall within the scope of) other standards bodies.
The MEF was preceded by the Ethernet in the First Mile Alliance (EFMA), also a nonprofit international industry consortium. It was established in 2001 to promote standards-based Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) technologies and products and position EFM as a key networking technology for an access network.
In 2005, with the completion of the 802.3ah standard by the IEEE, the EFMA became part of the Metro Ethernet Forum.
MEF white papers
These white papers provide a comprehensive technical overview of Ethernet services, based on the work of the Metro Ethernet Forum Technical Committee. The papers are intended to help buyers and users of Ethernet services understand the types and characteristics of the services and to help service providers clearly communicate their capabilities.
As of March 2011, the MEF had approved 26 technical specifications (see the full list):
- MEF 2 Requirements and Framework for Ethernet Service Protection
- MEF 3 Circuit Emulation Service Definitions, Framework and Requirements in Metro Ethernet Networks
- MEF 4 Metro Ethernet Network Architecture Framework Part 1: Generic Framework
- MEF 6.1 Metro Ethernet Services Definitions Phase II (supersedes MEF 6)
- MEF 7.1 Phase 2 EMS-NMS Information Model (supersedes MEF 7)
- MEF 7.1.1 Technical Corrections to MEF 7.1
- MEF 8 Implementation Agreement for the Emulation of PDH Circuits over Metro Ethernet Networks
- MEF 9 Abstract Test Suite for Ethernet Services at the UNI
- MEF 10.2 Ethernet Services Attributes Phase 2 (supersedes MEF 10, MEF 10.1 and MEF 10.1.1)
- MEF 10.2.1 Performance Attributes Amendment to MEF 10.2
- MEF 11 User Network Interface (UNI) Requirements and Framework
- MEF 12.1 Metro Ethernet Network Architecture Framework Part 2: Ethernet Services Layer
- MEF 12.1.1 Carrier Ethernet Network Architecture Framework Part 2: Ethernet Services Layer - External Interface Extensions
- MEF 13 User Network Interface (UNI) Type 1 Implementation Agreement
- MEF 14 Abstract Test Suite for Traffic Management Phase 1
- MEF 15 Requirements for Management of Metro Ethernet Phase 1 Network Elements
- MEF 16 Ethernet Local Management Interface
- MEF 17 Service OAM Framework and Requirements
- MEF 18 Abstract Test Suite for Circuit Emulation Services
- MEF 19 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 1
- MEF 20 UNI Type 2 Implementation Agreement
- MEF 21 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 2 Part 1 Link OAM
- MEF 22 Mobile Backhaul Implementation Agreement
- MEF 23 Class of Service Phase 1 Implementation Agreement
- MEF 24 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 2 Part 2 E-LMI
- MEF 25 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 2 Part 3 Service OAM
- MEF 26 External Network Network Interface (ENNI)–Phase 1
- MEF 26.1 External Network Network Interface (ENNI)–Phase 2 (rollup (26.0.1, 26.0.2, 26.0.3))
- MEF 26.0.1 Amendment to MEF 26. The Bandwidth Profile Algorithm
- MEF 26.0.2 OVC Layer 2 Control Protocol Tunneling Amendment to MEF 26
- MEF 26.0.3 Service Level Specification Amendment to MEF 26
- MEF 27 Abstract Test Suite For UNI Type 2 Part 5: Enhanced UNI Attributes & Part 6: L2CP Handling
- MEF 28 External Network Network Interface (ENNI) Support for UNI Tunnel Access and Virtual UNI
- MEF 29 Ethernet Services Constructs
- MEF 30 Service OAM Fault Management Implementation Agreement
- MEF 31 Service OAM Fault Management Definition of Managed Objects
- MEF 32 Requirements for Service Protection Across External Interfaces
- MEF 33 Ethernet Access Services Definition
Chalk Talk: The MEF's Carrier Ethernet 2.0
Ciena's John Hawkins talks about the Carrier Ethernet 2.0 (CE2.0) specifications from the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF). LEARN MORE: Watch Take 10 Webinar: Carrier Ethernet Certification ...
Metro Ethernet Bandwidth
http://FiberLineCommunications.com Metro Ethernet Bandwidth Metro Ethernet is Ethernet service that is provided in a metropolitan area, such as any major city in the U.S. Telecom providers...
Nan Chen, President - Metro Ethernet Forum
GTB TV, brought to you by NetScout - Nan Chen with Metro Ethernet Forum talks about highlights of Metro Ethernet Forum and NFV.
Light Reading at the Metro Ethernet Forum
Light Reading editorial event coverage Daniel Resciniti: Producer, shooter, editor.
Managed Router Service for Ethernet | Network Services
http://business.twc.com - Get the high-capacity Ethernet Service you need to power your LANs and WANs in one cohesive solution, supported by 24/7 network monitoring and management.
Asia ICT Summit 2014. Speaker : RAGHU RANGANATHAN, Board Member, Metro Ethernet Forum
Asia ICT Summit 2014 brings together the most important leaders of the industry to feature the trends and challenges that are impacting all of our businesses and personal lives. Presenters...
CE 2.0 - A New Generation of CARRIER ETHERNET - The Broadcast with Live Q&A Included
CE 2.0 - is introduced by Bob Metcalfe, Inventor of Ethernet and Professor of Innovation at the University of Texas, Nan Chen, MEF Founder and President, and Mike Volgende, Chairman of the...
Lecture - 31 Metro Ethernet Access Networks
Lecture Series on Broadband Networks by Prof.Karandikar , Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in.
Carrier Ethernet 2.0 Service Best Practices: Visibility & the Customer Experience
The key to improving and demonstrating the value of Carrier Ethernet services, and accelerating time-to-revenue, begins with service performance visibility. Communications service providers...
Elastic (on demand) Bandwidth Across Multiple Carrier Networks - Proof of Concept Demontstration
Esra Dumanli, Sr. Product Manager at Allstream, and Tata Communications demonstrate elastic (on demand) bandwidth across multiple carrier networks at the Metro Ethernet Forum GEN14 event in...
Tue, 03 Mar 2015 12:48:45 -0800
Comcast Business recently received four Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) Ethernet Excellence Awards, including the prestigious Best Service of the Year for North America. In addition, Comcast Business was named the fastest-growing Ethernet provider on ...
Wed, 11 Mar 2015 10:26:15 -0700
Running in parallel to this, the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) was founded in 2001 to promote standards-based Ethernet beyond the local area, and with the publication of IEEE 802.3ah-2004 the Ethernet in the First Mile Alliance (EFMA) also became part of ...
Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:14:35 -0700
The Service OAM capabilities of Carrier Ethernet 2.0 are expressed in three main specifications from the Metro Ethernet Forum – MEF 17, 30 and 35. The MEF 17 standard sets out the overall framework for OAM, defining the high-level constructs used to ...
Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:27:48 -0700
... standards and implementations. Long-time industry groups such as the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) and the Optical Internetworking Forum (OIF) have also responded by establishing SDN projects to guide their technology development/validation activities.
Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:12:50 -0700
CenturyLink also appreciated Blue Planet's ability to support what is becoming known as lifecycle service orchestration (LSO) – which, according to the Metro Ethernet Forum's definition, oversees fulfillment, control, performance, assurance, usage, and ...
Sat, 07 Mar 2015 07:45:06 -0800
MANCHESTER, N.H., March 6, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast today announced that the readers of New Hampshire Business Review voted to select Comcast Business as the number one telecommunications provider in the Granite State as part of the ...
SYS-CON Media (press release)
Fri, 06 Mar 2015 02:18:45 -0800
... multi-service architecture work and progressing SDN virtualization efforts, while Scott Mansfield has been key in driving the Forum's MPLS in carrier Ethernet work, while acting as a strategic liaison aligning the Forum and the MEF (Metro Ethernet ...
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 07:00:00 -0800
Spectrum Business is Metro Ethernet Forum Certified. More information about Spectrum Business can be found at business.spectrum.com. About Charter Charter CHTR, +0.44% is a leading broadband communications company and the fourth-largest cable ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.