The Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF), founded in 2001, is a nonprofit international industry consortium, dedicated to worldwide adoption of Carrier Ethernet networks and services.
The forum is composed of leading service providers, major incumbent local exchange carriers, network equipment vendors, and other networking companies that share an interest in Metro Ethernet. It had 160 members as of February 2010.
The MEF is a combination of a technical and a marketing forum to promote the adoption of Metro Ethernet. This is a key differentiator from other standard bodies such as the Internet Engineering Task Force and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). The forum makes recommendations to existing standards bodies and creates specifications that are not being developed by (or fall within the scope of) other standards bodies.
The MEF was preceded by the Ethernet in the First Mile Alliance (EFMA), also a nonprofit international industry consortium. It was established in 2001 to promote standards-based Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) technologies and products and position EFM as a key networking technology for an access network.
In 2005, with the completion of the 802.3ah standard by the IEEE, the EFMA became part of the Metro Ethernet Forum.
MEF white papers
These white papers provide a comprehensive technical overview of Ethernet services, based on the work of the Metro Ethernet Forum Technical Committee. The papers are intended to help buyers and users of Ethernet services understand the types and characteristics of the services and to help service providers clearly communicate their capabilities.
As of March 2011, the MEF had approved 26 technical specifications (see the full list):
- MEF 2 Requirements and Framework for Ethernet Service Protection
- MEF 3 Circuit Emulation Service Definitions, Framework and Requirements in Metro Ethernet Networks
- MEF 4 Metro Ethernet Network Architecture Framework Part 1: Generic Framework
- MEF 6.1 Metro Ethernet Services Definitions Phase II (supersedes MEF 6)
- MEF 7.1 Phase 2 EMS-NMS Information Model (supersedes MEF 7)
- MEF 7.1.1 Technical Corrections to MEF 7.1
- MEF 8 Implementation Agreement for the Emulation of PDH Circuits over Metro Ethernet Networks
- MEF 9 Abstract Test Suite for Ethernet Services at the UNI
- MEF 10.2 Ethernet Services Attributes Phase 2 (supersedes MEF 10, MEF 10.1 and MEF 10.1.1)
- MEF 10.2.1 Performance Attributes Amendment to MEF 10.2
- MEF 11 User Network Interface (UNI) Requirements and Framework
- MEF 12.1 Metro Ethernet Network Architecture Framework Part 2: Ethernet Services Layer
- MEF 12.1.1 Carrier Ethernet Network Architecture Framework Part 2: Ethernet Services Layer - External Interface Extensions
- MEF 13 User Network Interface (UNI) Type 1 Implementation Agreement
- MEF 14 Abstract Test Suite for Traffic Management Phase 1
- MEF 15 Requirements for Management of Metro Ethernet Phase 1 Network Elements
- MEF 16 Ethernet Local Management Interface
- MEF 17 Service OAM Framework and Requirements
- MEF 18 Abstract Test Suite for Circuit Emulation Services
- MEF 19 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 1
- MEF 20 UNI Type 2 Implementation Agreement
- MEF 21 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 2 Part 1 Link OAM
- MEF 22 Mobile Backhaul Implementation Agreement
- MEF 23 Class of Service Phase 1 Implementation Agreement
- MEF 24 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 2 Part 2 E-LMI
- MEF 25 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 2 Part 3 Service OAM
- MEF 26 External Network Network Interface (ENNI)–Phase 1
- MEF 26.1 External Network Network Interface (ENNI)–Phase 2 (rollup (26.0.1, 26.0.2, 26.0.3))
- MEF 26.0.1 Amendment to MEF 26. The Bandwidth Profile Algorithm
- MEF 26.0.2 OVC Layer 2 Control Protocol Tunneling Amendment to MEF 26
- MEF 26.0.3 Service Level Specification Amendment to MEF 26
- MEF 27 Abstract Test Suite For UNI Type 2 Part 5: Enhanced UNI Attributes & Part 6: L2CP Handling
- MEF 28 External Network Network Interface (ENNI) Support for UNI Tunnel Access and Virtual UNI
- MEF 29 Ethernet Services Constructs
- MEF 30 Service OAM Fault Management Implementation Agreement
- MEF 31 Service OAM Fault Management Definition of Managed Objects
- MEF 32 Requirements for Service Protection Across External Interfaces
- MEF 33 Ethernet Access Services Definition
Chalk Talk: The MEF's Carrier Ethernet 2.0
Ciena's John Hawkins talks about the Carrier Ethernet 2.0 (CE2.0) specifications from the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF). LEARN MORE: Watch Take 10 Webinar: Carr...
Tutorial: Modern Carrier Ethernet
This tutorial provides a lighthearted introduction to several facets of modern Carrier Ethernet, including G.8032 Ethernet Protected Rings, IEEE 802.1ag, OA&...
Lecture - 32 Metro Ethernet Access Networks
Lecture Series on Broadband Networks by Prof.Karandikar , Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm...
Metrofibre networx - Introduction Video
Metrofibre networx (South Africa) is building a Carrier Class Ethernet fibre optic "Open Access" infrastructure that will provide managed bandwidth over the ...
10 Gb Ethernet: challenges and opportunities
In 2000, the number of worldwide Internet users were estimated at 360 million, using mostly data and web services. In 2008, the number of worldwide Internet ...
MEF Turns 10
The Metro Ethernet Forum had a good excuse to party at a winery, which gave us an excuse to break out the video camera.
CEWC interview: Nan Chen, President, MEF
A video interview taken at Carrier Ethernet World Congress with Nan Chen, President of the Metro Ethernet Forum. The event took place October 10-13 at Hotel ...
Bob Metcalfe on the MEF's 10th anniversary
Bob Metcalfe - inventor of Ethernet - joined the celebration of the MEF(Metro Ethernet Forum)'s tenth anniversary on July 25th 2011 and looks to the future. ...
Welcome to RADirect, your online source for network access and storage networking solutions! Hear from our site hostess, Michelle, as she introduces you to t...
Intro The Ethernet
Small Business Trends
Small Business Trends
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 05:00:47 -0800
With the roll-out of carrier Ethernet services by major Internet Service providers, telephone service providers, cable providers and more, the Metro Ethernet Forum provides the fundamental blueprint to make it all work. As changes in the business ...
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 06:01:25 -0800
NEW YORK, Feb 26, 2014 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Time Warner Cable Business Class (TWCBC) today announced it has received Carrier Ethernet (CE) 2.0 certifications from the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) for the company's Wholesale E-Access (Access ...
Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:43:58 -0800
... 2014 | By Sean Buckley. Share. Tools. Comment; Print · Contact Author · Reprint. The Metro Ethernet Forum has begun a new leadership chapter, naming Andrew McFadzen, Orange Business Services' head of global marketing, as its new chairman.
Fri, 07 Mar 2014 04:56:15 -0800
Most recently, Comcast also received three Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) Carrier Ethernet Awards, including the prestigious Service Provider of the Year for North America. Comcast Business Internet offers businesses a feature-rich, reliable and secure ...
Fri, 07 Mar 2014 06:26:15 -0800
The new Blue Planet will feature additional A to Z provision of metro Ethernet Forum MEF services. The latest news coming out of Cyan Inc. (NYSE:CYNI) seem to have had major impact on the company's stock which has continued to rally throughout the week ...
SYS-CON Media (press release)
Wed, 05 Mar 2014 05:07:30 -0800
In November 2013, WireIE created history when it became the first rural-focused carrier, globally, to achieve Metro-Ethernet forum's (MEF) Carrier Ethernet (CE) 2.0 certification, which is the industry's top accreditation for excellence in Carrier ...
Wall Street Journal
Tue, 04 Mar 2014 04:56:15 -0800
E-Access is the first Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) defined wholesale Ethernet product with definitions for a point-to-point service over an external network-to-network interface. According to leading industry analysts, including Vertical Systems and ...
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 07:40:50 -0800
NEW YORK -- Time Warner Cable Business Class (TWCBC) today announced it has received Carrier Ethernet (CE) 2.0 certifications from the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) for the company's Wholesale E-Access (Access EPL/Access EVPL) services. TWCBC ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Metro Ethernet Forum with people all over the world in our discussions.