The Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF), founded in 2001, is a nonprofit international industry consortium, dedicated to worldwide adoption of Carrier Ethernet networks and services.
The forum is composed of leading service providers, major incumbent local exchange carriers, network equipment vendors, and other networking companies that share an interest in Metro Ethernet. It had 220 members as of November 2014.
The MEF is a combination of a technical and a marketing forum to promote the adoption of Metro Ethernet. This is a key differentiator from other standard bodies such as the Internet Engineering Task Force and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). The forum makes recommendations to existing standards bodies and creates specifications that are not being developed by (or fall within the scope of) other standards bodies.
The MEF was preceded by the Ethernet in the First Mile Alliance (EFMA), also a nonprofit international industry consortium. It was established in 2001 to promote standards-based Ethernet in the First Mile (EFM) technologies and products and position EFM as a key networking technology for an access network.
In 2005, with the completion of the 802.3ah standard by the IEEE, the EFMA became part of the Metro Ethernet Forum.
MEF white papers
These white papers provide a comprehensive technical overview of Ethernet services, based on the work of the Metro Ethernet Forum Technical Committee. The papers are intended to help buyers and users of Ethernet services understand the types and characteristics of the services and to help service providers clearly communicate their capabilities.
As of March 2011, the MEF had approved 26 technical specifications (see the full list):
- MEF 2 Requirements and Framework for Ethernet Service Protection
- MEF 3 Circuit Emulation Service Definitions, Framework and Requirements in Metro Ethernet Networks
- MEF 4 Metro Ethernet Network Architecture Framework Part 1: Generic Framework
- MEF 6.1 Metro Ethernet Services Definitions Phase II (supersedes MEF 6)
- MEF 7.1 Phase 2 EMS-NMS Information Model (supersedes MEF 7)
- MEF 7.1.1 Technical Corrections to MEF 7.1
- MEF 8 Implementation Agreement for the Emulation of PDH Circuits over Metro Ethernet Networks
- MEF 9 Abstract Test Suite for Ethernet Services at the UNI
- MEF 10.2 Ethernet Services Attributes Phase 2 (supersedes MEF 10, MEF 10.1 and MEF 10.1.1)
- MEF 10.2.1 Performance Attributes Amendment to MEF 10.2
- MEF 11 User Network Interface (UNI) Requirements and Framework
- MEF 12.1 Metro Ethernet Network Architecture Framework Part 2: Ethernet Services Layer
- MEF 12.1.1 Carrier Ethernet Network Architecture Framework Part 2: Ethernet Services Layer - External Interface Extensions
- MEF 13 User Network Interface (UNI) Type 1 Implementation Agreement
- MEF 14 Abstract Test Suite for Traffic Management Phase 1
- MEF 15 Requirements for Management of Metro Ethernet Phase 1 Network Elements
- MEF 16 Ethernet Local Management Interface
- MEF 17 Service OAM Framework and Requirements
- MEF 18 Abstract Test Suite for Circuit Emulation Services
- MEF 19 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 1
- MEF 20 UNI Type 2 Implementation Agreement
- MEF 21 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 2 Part 1 Link OAM
- MEF 22 Mobile Backhaul Implementation Agreement
- MEF 23 Class of Service Phase 1 Implementation Agreement
- MEF 24 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 2 Part 2 E-LMI
- MEF 25 Abstract Test Suite for UNI Type 2 Part 3 Service OAM
- MEF 26 External Network Network Interface (ENNI)–Phase 1
- MEF 26.1 External Network Network Interface (ENNI)–Phase 2 (rollup (26.0.1, 26.0.2, 26.0.3))
- MEF 26.0.1 Amendment to MEF 26. The Bandwidth Profile Algorithm
- MEF 26.0.2 OVC Layer 2 Control Protocol Tunneling Amendment to MEF 26
- MEF 26.0.3 Service Level Specification Amendment to MEF 26
- MEF 27 Abstract Test Suite For UNI Type 2 Part 5: Enhanced UNI Attributes & Part 6: L2CP Handling
- MEF 28 External Network Network Interface (ENNI) Support for UNI Tunnel Access and Virtual UNI
- MEF 29 Ethernet Services Constructs
- MEF 30 Service OAM Fault Management Implementation Agreement
- MEF 31 Service OAM Fault Management Definition of Managed Objects
- MEF 32 Requirements for Service Protection Across External Interfaces
- MEF 33 Ethernet Access Services Definition
Chalk Talk: The MEF's Carrier Ethernet 2.0
Ciena's John Hawkins talks about the Carrier Ethernet 2.0 (CE2.0) specifications from the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF). LEARN MORE: Watch Take 10 Webinar: Carrier Ethernet Certification ...
Lecture - 31 Metro Ethernet Access Networks
Lecture Series on Broadband Networks by Prof.Karandikar , Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in.
Light Reading at the Metro Ethernet Forum
Light Reading editorial event coverage Daniel Resciniti: Producer, shooter, editor.
Nan Chen, President - Metro Ethernet Forum
GTB TV, brought to you by NetScout - Nan Chen with Metro Ethernet Forum talks about highlights of Metro Ethernet Forum and NFV.
Asia ICT Summit 2014. Speaker : RAGHU RANGANATHAN, Board Member, Metro Ethernet Forum
Asia ICT Summit 2014 brings together the most important leaders of the industry to feature the trends and challenges that are impacting all of our businesses and personal lives. Presenters...
Metro Ethernet Bandwidth
http://FiberLineCommunications.com Metro Ethernet Bandwidth Metro Ethernet is Ethernet service that is provided in a metropolitan area, such as any major city in the U.S. Telecom providers...
On-Demand - Understanding Network Challenges: Metro Ethernet
We are very lucky to have Bill Kuba join us for our webinar on Metro Ethernet Technology. Bill is a seasoned network engineer, server engineer and telephone administrator with 17 years of experienc...
Optimize the Promise of Ethernet – Reap the Full Value Faster
CSPs are transitioning their infrastructure and networks to meet the digital demands of subscribers and enterprises as they transform their networks to all-IP. Leading industry organizations...
Ethernet Services by Time Warner Cable Business Class
http://business.twc.com - Ethernet Services provided by Time Warner Cable Business Class offers secure Wide Area Network (WAN) solutions that can support and connect all your business locations....
Fri, 24 Apr 2015 11:22:30 -0700
In an effort to make interconnection of Ethernet services ubiquitous, the Metro Ethernet Forum has organized large Carrier Ethernet providers in an initiative to streamline interconnection services through active prototyping and testing. In a separate ...
Tue, 21 Apr 2015 05:27:12 -0700
PETALUMA, CA, Apr 21, 2015 (Marketwired via COMTEX) -- Calix, Inc. CALX, -0.81% today announced the successful completion of Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) Carrier Ethernet (CE) 2.0 certification testing for its E5-306, E5-308, and E5-520 Ethernet ...
The Denver Post
Business Wire (press release)
Tue, 07 Apr 2015 05:00:00 -0700
Comcast Business recently received four Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) Ethernet Excellence Awards, including the prestigious Best Service of the Year for North America. In addition, Comcast Business was named the fastest-growing Ethernet provider on ...
Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:51:28 -0700
NORWICH, Conn. -- Comcast Business today announced that its full portfolio of multi-Gigabit Ethernet services is now available across six communities in New London County, Connecticut, bringing the total number of towns and cities in Connecticut that ...
Fri, 10 Apr 2015 09:20:45 -0700
(Nasdaq: ORCL), explained how the software giant is both leveraging its expertise in the OSS/BSS arena and working with groups such as the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF) and TM Forum to advance the cause of concepts such as network-as-a-service and ...
PR Web (press release)
Thu, 02 Apr 2015 02:00:00 -0700
... Spectrum Business offers competitively priced bundled products over its state-of-the-art, fiber-based network, helping businesses in a variety of industries maximize efficiency while continuing to grow. Spectrum Business is Metro Ethernet Forum ...
Small Business Trends
Small Business Trends
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 05:00:47 -0800
With the roll-out of carrier Ethernet services by major Internet Service providers, telephone service providers, cable providers and more, the Metro Ethernet Forum provides the fundamental blueprint to make it all work. As changes in the business ...
Tue, 18 Nov 2014 20:18:45 -0800
Of course, a lot of carriers and many companies that use the Internet to deliver data to customers are against that, arguing instead for total freedom to do as they wish. But at the Metro Ethernet Forum 's GEN 14 conference here Nov. 17, there's ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.