Mermaids: The Body Found is a documentary-style science-fiction television film with a "few strands of fact" that originally aired on May 27, 2012, on Animal Planet and June 17 on Discovery Channel. It tells the story of a scientific team's investigative efforts to uncover the source behind mysterious underwater recordings and an unidentified marine body. The show uses the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis as evidence that mermaids exist, along with a video.
Mermaids: The Body Found received 3.4 million views during its US telecast premiere on Sunday, May 27, 2012. This is the network's most watched telecast since the Steve Irwin memorial special in September 2006.
US government statement 
See also 
- Animal Planet
- Aquatic Ape Hypothesis
- List of creatures in Primeval primeval contains an aquatic ape known as a "mer creature"
- The Last Dragon, a similar program airing on Animal Planet that attempted to describe Dragons in a scientific manner.
- Genzlinger, Neil (May 25, 2012.). "One More Reason to Fear the Beach". The New York Times. Retrieved May 27, 2012.
- "Mermaids: The Body Found Documentaries - A Documentary By Animal Planet | Documentary Films | Watch Free Documentaries Online". Top Documentary Stream. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Animal Planet Slays With Best-Ever May in Network History". Animal Planet Press Release. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found". National Ocean Service. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "Mermaids: The Body Found (press release)". Retrieved 8 Dec 2012. "This two-hour special is science fiction based on some real events and scientific theory"
- "No evidence of mermaids, says US government". BBC News. 3 July 2012. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- Animal Planet's official video clips
- Discovery Channel Press Release and Info on aquatic ape theory
- Mermaids: The Body Found at the Internet Movie Database
- Stop everything! Mermaids are real?
- Snopes - Mermaids: The Body Found
- 'Mermaids: The Body Found' On Animal Planet Argues Mythical Sea Creatures Are Aquatic Apes
- One More Reason to Fear the Beach. ‘Mermaids: The Body Found,’ on Animal Planet
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.