|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Tirunelveli City Municipal Corporation|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+05:30)|
The name Melapalayam is derived from its location west of Palayamkottai, Tirunelveli. In Tamil 'Mela' meaning 'West' derived from the word 'Merkku'. Melapalayam is one of the administrative municipal of Tirunelveli Corporation situated in South Indian State of Tamil Nadu with 80% of Muslims and remaining Hindus and Christians. It is located in eastern bank of famous perennial Thamirabarani River. Its east side is covered by Oxford of South India-Palayamkottai. It gets green look in Western side as it is surrounded by fertile paddy fields. Melapalayam was earlier known as Keela Veera Ragavapuram in British Rule. Old age Tamil Name was "Mangai maa nagar" (Tamil→ மங்கை மா நகர்). The total distance between Tirunelveli and Melapalayam is 4.1 km(2.6 miles ).
- 1 Literacy
- 2 Education
- 3 Masjid's(Mosques)
- 4 Culture
- 5 Business
- 6 Transport
- 7 Marriage
- 8 Food culture
- 9 Hospitals
- 10 Health Issues
- 11 Market
- 12 Banks
- 13 Social Reforms
- 14 C2.Police Station
- 15 Entertainment
- 16 References
- 17 External links
Melapalayam has an average literacy rate of 62.39% higher than the national average of 59.5%. Male literacy is 71.59% and Female literacy is 28.41%.
The city was most backward in education till the 21st century. Schools have been developed and education reaches almost every children in the city. Many welfare trust have been formed for these social awareness favoring education. The Muslim Higher Secondary School in Melapalayam secured Tamil Nadu state level second rank in the SSLC examination held during April 2011.
- AAA MEP Academy (MEP Drafting & Designing Center)
- Adi Dravidar Primary School
- Al Ameen Sabeka Primary School
- Al-Hutha Nursery & Primary School
- Al Irshad Nursery & Primary School
- Alim Oriental Nursery Primary School
- Ansari Nursery & Primary School
- Asamath Nursery & Primary School
- Azad Corporation Primary School
- Bright Nursery & Primary School
- Corporation Primary School, Kurichi
- Corporation Primary School, Haameem puram
- Corporation Primary School, Karungulam
- Ganesapuram East Primary School
- Ganesapuram West Primary School
- Gazanathul Ulum Primary School(New Management), Puthu Manai Moolan street, Near Main Bazaar
- Guru Nursery & Primary School
- Jasmine Nursery & Primary School
- Jawahar Nursery & Primary School, ganiyarappa big street
- MAR Nursery & Primary School,Melapalayam
- Little Flower Nursery & Primary School
- Little Star Nursery & Primary School
- M.K.S. Nursery & Primary School
- Nehru Primary School, Near Kodi Maram Stop
- New Millenium Nursery & Primary School
- New Red Rose Nursery & Primary School
- Quaide Millath Corporation Primary School
- Rahmania Primary School
- S T C Branch Primary School
- Siraj Oriental Nursery Primary School, Near Azura Street, Azad Road
- Sourna Nursery Primary School
- Therku mohideen jamath school
- INFOLEARN COMPUTER EDUCATION (SINCE 1998)
- EDESK SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS(AAA GROUPS)
- CSC(Computer software College)
- Al - Menaar Nursery & Primary School
Upper Primary Schools
- Ganesa Moorthi Matric School
- Hameen Matric School
- Don Bosco Matric School
- Golden Jubile Matric School
- Rahmania Matric School
Higher secondary schools
- The Muslim Higher Secondary School
- Muslim Girls Higher Secondary School
- Rahmania Higher Secondary School
- Quaide Millath Higher Secondary School
List of Colleges
- Annai Hajira Women's College
- Jaamiathul Aliya Fe MaAaliyas Saniyaa Arabic College
- Thaarul Ulum Usmaaniya Arabic College
- Islamic college (newly added)
- Al Irshaad
- Shirin Farhana
- Nashisathun Linisvaan
- Thaglimun Nisvaan
- Magdinul Ulum
- Jamshul Buhariya
- Al madrasathul Riffayia
- Tharihatul Ilashiya
- Naasirul Millat Girls Madarasa - Asura East Street
- Al Madrasathul Majithilla
- Al Baakiyathus salihath
- Nasheehathul Islam
The city is almost filled with mosques everywhere. More than 60 mosques are there in the city. Every two streets has a mosque in between. The grave yard is also attached with major mosques which are located at the end of respective streets. Majority of them are 'Waqf' registered and administrated by local residents usually named as people of particular "Mohalla".
List of Masjids(Mosques)
- Abdullah Aameena Jumma Masjid & Madarasa
- Aysha Masjid
- Jannathul Firdous Masjid
- Jamiul Akbar Masjid
- Kaattu Jumma Masjid
- Kadai Jumma Masjid, Main Bazaar
- Keezha Jumma Masjid
- Masjidur Rahman
- Masjidus Salaam
- Masjiduth Thaqwa
- Masjiduth Thawba
- Nawab Kothupa Masjid
- Periya Kothupa Masjid
- Puthumanai Kothupa Masjid,Main Bazaar
- Samsul Aarifeen Shathuliya Pallivasal
- Syed Mohamed Jumma Mṯḫasjid (Asan Tharagan St)
- South Mohideen Jumma Masjid
- North Mohideen Jumma Masjid (Big Street & Small Street)
- Thandan Jumma Masjid
- Vaavar Jumma Masjid
- VST Jumma Masjid
- Neina Mohamed masjid
- Usmania Masjid
- Kadaipalli Jumma Masjid
- Kajanayagam Jumma Masjid
- T.S.M.O Nagar Haji Uthuman Shahib Arabi Madarasa & Masjid
- Mappillai Lebbai Aalim Jumma Masjid
- Sappani AAlim Kezappalli Jumma Masjid
- Mohideen Pallivasal kuttimoopan theru
- Raheem Pallivasal Uchili Labbai Theru
- Muslim HS School Masjid, Nethaji Road
- Kalwath Nayagam Masjid, Near Kurichi
- Aliyyaa Mathrasa Masjid, Near Santhai Stop
- Abdul Kadhar (Kulathu) Masjid, VST Palli Stop
- Salah Masjid, VST Palli Stop
- kaja beedi kalani masjith
There are two main holidays in Islam: Eid Al-Fitr, Ramadan and Eid Al-Adha. Eid Al-Fitr is celebrated at the end of Ramadan (a month of fasting), and Muslims usually give zakat (charity) on the occasion. Eid Al-Adha is celebrated at the end of Hajj (annual pilgrimage to Mecca), which is one of the five pillars, and Muslims usually sacrifice an animal and distribute its meat among family, friends and the poor. All Islamic holidays follow the lunar calendar, and thus move each year relative to the solar calendar. The Islamic calendar has 12 months and 354 days on a regular year, and 355 days on a leap year.
In early years, Handloom trading was a main business. They exported handloom products to various countries such as Sri Lanka & Burma. Now this business totally vanished from the city. As an alternate, Beedi Industry took a place and playing major role in Melapalayam Economy. Most women are engaged in Beedi Rolling works. The predominant business of the people is "Beedi manufacturing". Many of the beedi manufacturers in South India laid their production units in and around Melapalayam. But now the scenario is getting changed and many men are working in Gulf countries.
Due to the very closed layout, it is impossible for the government to extend the roads for buses within the city. Buses going towards Melacheval, Pathamadai, Cheranmahadevi, Ambasamudhiram and Pabanasam passes through Melapalayam only. There is no bus facility available within the city. Earlier 'sharing auto' were indulged for the local transport. But later due to the rash driving of the sharing auto drivers, it was also closed and now people are using hire autos for local mobi
The city has its own marriage tradition. The people used to be married among themselves(almost), they won't go for a bride / bridegroom outside the city. Almost all the marriages will be held only in their residents/ nearby mosque. Before marriage, both the bride and the bridegroom should get a 'NOC'(No Objection Certificate) from any of mosque or jamath. The marriage feast is also famous with unique "Thaalcha" made for Ghee rice and Biriyani.
Melapalaym is famous for non vegetarian type foods. Special food caterers are available in the city. The food and beverages culture resembles Muslim communities in Kerala and Kayalpattinam. Typical food include Oottu Mavu, Thakkadi, Medical Rice and Vattlappam. Oottu mavu is a type of snack made by powdered rice deep fried with sugar and egg. Thakkadi is another typical food made by powdered rice made into solid pieces which are then soaked in hot masala made with mutton or beef. Medical Rice, popularly known as 'Marunthu Choru (மருந்துச் சோறு) is made with some sidhdha medical ingredients prepared for pregnant people and also during festive. Vattlappam is unique to towns like Melapalayam, Athirambattinam and some other major Muslim towns in Tamil Nadu. The Vatlappam or Egg pudding is made up of eggs, sugar and cocunut extracts. This also very healthy and special food prepared during festivals like Ramzan, Bakrid and marriages.
To serve a dense populated city, hospitals were founded since the 21st century.
List of Hospitals
- Government Hospital (Gynecologist)
- Selvan Hospital (Gynecologist)
- Jayakumar Hospital
- Vijaya Hospital
- Nizam Hospital
- Paul's Hospital
- Noor hospital
- Meeran Clinic
- Charli Dental Clinic ( Dental Hospital )
- J.K. Hospital (Gynecologist)
- Rahman Clinic
- Punnagai dental clinic(dental hospital)
- Majeeth Dental Clinic
- Jude Hospital Kurichi
- New Crescent Hospital
many other small clinic were also added in course of time.
The people are less educated about the cleanliness and more often they go ill. A recent issue was that an unidentified virus hits the town with people getting fever with their limbs malfunctioned for a period of time. This is due to the improper disposal of the beedi leaves garbage which is thrown on the streets and roads. During rainy seasons, water gets stagnant on these garbage and cause for the viral growths.
Nowadays the awareness on health issues are made by socials organizations in the locality which reduced the health issues on melapalayam.
Melapalayam is famous for Cattle market. It is said to be the second largest cattle market in Tamil Nadu next to Devakottai. The market will be active only on Tuesday. Cow, ox, goat and dried fish market are available in the same place. Merchants from various parts of the state will accumulate on Monday night and the trading starts right from midnight. Besides this, fish and vegetable markets are available in Melapalayam Bazaar.
- Canara Bank.
- Bank of Baroda.
- Union Bank of India.
- Indian Overseas Bank.
- Melapalayam Primary Agricultural Co-operative Bank.
- Pandiyan Grama Bank
- Thiruvalluvar Co operative Bank
Many awareness societies are being formed for the welfare of the people of Melapalayam. Education is the only social change made in this town.
List of Social Forums
- Minorities Education and Enlightenment Forum (MEEF)
- Melapalayam Health and Education Trust (MHET)
- Social Awareness Service Organisation (SASO)
- Melapalayam Progressive Forum (MPMPROF)
- Speed Blood Service (SBS)
- Melapalayam Health Service (MHS)
Melapalayam police station is most active among Tiruneveli city police stations due to its higher rate of terror activities and religious issues. They have recently busted sleeper cells here and captured some people, who are most wanted in Tamil Nadu and had relation with some banned outfits.
There is no Government organised sports club in the city. Only minority welfare organisations had started games association with which games like Cricket, Carrom, Volley Ball and Football are made predominant. At present there is no dedicated stadium for any games. Only school grounds are being used by games association of the city.
There is no cinema theater in the city as of now.
- "PinCode: Melapalayam". PINcode.net.in. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- http://expressbuzz.com › States › Tamil Nadu