For powder made by grinding grain, see flour
Meals have been traditionally prepared by women in a home kitchen (Painting from the circle of Jean-Baptiste de Saive, 1563)
A meal is an eating occasion that takes place at a certain time and includes specific, prepared food, or the food eaten on that occasion. The names used for specific meals in English vary greatly, depending on the speaker's culture, the time of day, or the size of the meal.
Meals occur primarily at homes, restaurants, and cafeterias, but may occur anywhere. Regular meals occur on a daily basis, typically several times a day. Special meals are usually held in conjunction with such occasions as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and holidays. A meal is different from a snack in that meals are generally larger, more varied, and more filling than snacks.
The type of meal served or eaten at any given time varies by custom and location. In most modern cultures, three main meals are eaten: in the morning, early afternoon, and evening. Further, the names of meals are often interchangeable by custom as well. Some serve dinner as the main meal at midday, with supper as the late afternoon/early evening meal; while others may call their midday meal lunch and their early evening meal supper. Except for "breakfast", these names can vary from region to region or even from family to family.
- Breakfast is eaten within an hour or two after a person wakes in the morning.
- Lunch is eaten around mid-day, usually between 11 am and 2 pm. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content.
- Supper or dinner or tea is eaten in the evening. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content, but many English-speakers use "supper" for this meal regardless of size.
Other types of meals
- A barbecue is a meal at which food (often meat or fish) is cooked out of doors on an open fire or portable grill.
- A banquet is a large, formal, elaborate meal, with many guests and dishes.
- A blue-plate special is a term used in the United States by restaurants that refers to a specially low-priced meal, usually changing daily.
- Brunch is a late-morning meal, usually larger than a breakfast and usually replacing both breakfast and lunch; it is most common on Sundays. Brunch originated in England in the late 1800s, and in the 1930s became popular in the United States.
- A buffet typically involves diners serving themselves from foods placed in a public area. Buffets are effective for serving large numbers of people at once, and are often seen in institutional settings, such as business conventions or large parties. Some restaurants also offer buffets, such as a lunch buffet, or are specifically buffet restaurants.
- Elevenses, also called "morning tea", is a light snack and drink taken in the late morning after breakfast and before lunch.
- A last meal is a meal served to a prisoner before his execution.
- A multicourse meal is a meal of multiple dishes served in sequence.
- A full course dinner in its simplest form, can consist of three or four courses, such as soup, salad, meat and dessert. In formal dining, a full course dinner can consist of many courses, and in some instances the courses are carefully planned to complement each other gastronomically.
- A main course is the featured or primary dish in a meal consisting of several courses. It usually follows the entrée ("entry") course. In the United States it may in fact be called "entree".
- Meals on Wheels are meals delivered as a service to the homes of people who are unable to prepare their own.
- A Meal train Meal trains are commonly organized after significant life events, including birth, adoption, surgery, illness, death, divorce, new job, or moving to a new community. Caring friends, family, co-workers, congregation members, neighbors, and communities show their excitement or compassion though the organized delivery meals.
- A picnic is an outdoor meal where one brings one's food, such as a sandwich or a prepared meal (sometimes in a picnic basket). It often takes place in a natural or recreational area, such as a park, forest, beach, or lawn. On long drives a picnic may take place at a roadside stop such as a rest area. Picnics are often consumed on a picnic table.
- A potluck is a gathering of people where each person or group of people may contribute a dish of food prepared by the person or the group of people, to be shared among the group.
- Second breakfast is a traditional mid-morning meal served in parts of central Europe, i.e.: Austria, Bavaria (Germany) and Poland.
- Tea can refer to any of several different meals or mealtimes, depending on a country's customs and its history of drinking tea. However, in those countries where the term's use is common, the influences are generally those of the former British Empire (now the Commonwealth of Nations). Tea as a meal can be small or large.
- Afternoon tea is a mid-afternoon meal, typically taken at 4 pm, consisting of light fare such as small sandwiches, individual cakes and scones with tea.
- High tea is a British meal usually eaten in the early evening.
- Tiffin is a second breakfast or light lunch, most commonly in India. "Tiffin" can also refer to boxed or packaged lunches that are delivered by dabbawalas in Mumbai to workers in the city.
- Réveillon is a celebratory long dinner held on Christmas Eve in French-speaking countries.
- Sacred meals, such as the Eucharist, a form of theophagy or symbolic rite.
- Symbolic meals, such as were prepared for or represented in tombs, were designed for consumption by the deceased in the after-life. They are often represented in funerary art.
- A wedding breakfast is a dinner given to the bride, groom, and guests at the wedding reception that follows a wedding in the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, Austria and Scandinavia.
- Yum cha is a Cantonese morning or afternoon meal where dim sum dishes and tea are served. In the U.S. and U.K., the word dim sum is often used in place of yum cha.
Types of meals
Meal structure in cuisines
Related terms and concepts
- ^ meal noun (FOOD) - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
- ^ meal - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online
- ^ Wansink, B.; Payne, C. R.; Shimizu, M. (2010). ""Is this a meal or snack?" Situational cues that drive perceptions". Appetite 54 (1): 214–216. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2009.09.016. PMID 19808071.
- ^ "AskOxford: breakfast". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "AskOxford: lunch". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "Definition of supper". Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- ^ O'Donoghue, Ben (2008), Outdoor: grill your way 'round the world, Prahran, Victoria, Australia: Hardie Grant Books, ISBN 9781740665599
- ^ "Banquet." (definition). Merriam-webster.com. Accessed August 2011.
- ^ Rombauer, Irma S.; Becker, Marion Rombauer; Becker, Ethan (2001). Joy of Cooking: All About Breakfast and Brunch. Simon and Schuster. p. 8. ISBN 0743206428.
- ^ A & C Black Publishers Ltd (2009). Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. A & C Black Publishers Ltd. p. 103. ISBN 1408102129.
- ^ (AP) (August 29, 2012). "Study: Death Row inmates pick comfort foods for last meals". CBS News. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- ^ Meals on Wheels Inc. (S. Aust.) (1963), Meals on Wheels : what it is - how it began - what it is now - what it can become!, Meals on Wheels
- ^ a b "AskOxford: tea". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "Definition of tiffin in English". Oxford Dictionaries. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- ^ Narsimhan, Mahtab (2011). Tiffin (abstract). Midpoint Trade Books Incorporated. ISBN 1770860398.
- ^ Sterling, Richard; Chong, Elizabeth; Qin, Lushan Charles (2001). Hong Kong. Lonely Planet. p. 145. ISBN 1864502886.
||Wikiquote has quotations related to: Meal
The Sharpshooter - Epic Meal Time
Happy Canada Day! This one's for the Hitman. LIKE/FAV and SHARE Make sure to watch our new TV show! It premiers on FYI July 26th at 10pm. Download Instaradio...
Ultimate Pizza Experience - Epic Meal Time
Here at Epic Meal Time we take pizza serious. So serious in fact we're looking to provide pizza with the beautiful life it deserves. LIKE/FAVORITE and SHARE for new meals every week! And...
MEAL PREP WITH ME! ♡ @ArikaSato
FOR MORE DEETS ABOUT MEAL PREPS: http://arikasato.com ♡ follow me on instagram: http://instagram.com/arikasato ♡ follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ari...
The Fastest Happy Meal Ever Eaten
Good Video? Like/Fav & Share!! If there is any world record that my name will go down in history for, it will be for eating this McDonald's Happy Meal. A fea...
MEAL PREPPING & MY NEW YEAR DIET ROUTINE! | Gigi
Meal prepping for an entire week can be difficult, but if you stay organized it can be a really fun thing to do every week AND it will keep your diet on trac...
Nutella Lasagna - Epic Meal Time
Of all the lasagnas out there, this is the one with Nutella. Nutella Lasagna, the only lasagna you can't put in the oven. Watch our TV show Epic Meal Empire,...
Mega Oreo - Epic Meal Time
We did it all for the cookie! This is the Mega Oreo. Or, is it the Megoreo? Either way it's a really big cookie. LIKE/FAV and SHARE Make sure to watch Epic M...
Furious 60 - Nutrition / Meal Preparation | Week 2
Follow the Daily Vlogs ▻ http://bit.ly/SubFuriousTalks Limited Furious Pete Apparel ▻ http://www.furiouspete.com/ Day 12 Vlog ▻ http://bit.ly/Furious60Day12 ...
BattleBots 2001 McDonald's Happy Meal Toys, Let The Battle Begin!
I watched this show! I was looking forward to checking out this set of McDonald's BattleBot Toys. These were fun to play with. Buy Here ▷ http://luckypennyshop.com/mcdonalds-battle-bots-1-pull...
Breakfast Italian - Epic Meal Time
This is NOT the same thing as Italian Breakfast. Watch Epic Meal Empire, Fridays at 10pm in the US and Mondays at 10pm in Canada on fyi! Click for more info:...
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:07:30 -0800
Ben Trevits is chef/co-owner of The Parker Pie Company in West Glover. He lives in Glover with his wife, who manages the front of the house, their three daughters, two cats and five goats. My favorite meal to cook when it's cold is roasted chicken with ...
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 14:18:45 -0800
The last meal is a strange cultural custom and a hell of a one-two punch for any prisoner: First, the state makes a rare display of generosity, often procuring a mélange of favorite items for the prisoner from various restaurants. Then it insists on a ...
The Charlottesville Newsplex
The Charlottesville Newsplex
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:45:24 -0800
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA (NEWSPLEX) -- Several restaurant owners in Charlottesville say the city is unfairly targeting them by proposing a tax increase on every meal. The restaurant owners met Thursday morning at Maya restaurant on West Main Street, ...
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 23:52:30 -0800
Stuffed flounder is a traditional way to enjoy one of the more plentiful fish found on the upper Gulf coast. And despite rumors to the contrary, it is fairly easy to do. (Photo courtesy of Alabama Seafood). Print · David Holloway | firstname.lastname@example.org By ...
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 14:18:45 -0800
The life experiences that we share involve birth, death, taxes, and — if we are lucky — a good meal. Like playwrights Thornton Wilder in The Long Christmas Dinner and A.R. Gurney in The Dinner Party, Dan LeFranc has taken the forging of bonds around ...
Wed, 25 Feb 2015 08:30:00 -0800
A branch of Bryan Voltaggio's Family Meal debuts in Ashburn on Wednesday, bringing cheffed-up diner fare to the One Loudoun development. Though similar to the flagship in Frederick, Maryland, and newer Baltimore spinoff, the first Virginia location ...
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:03:45 -0800
More than one in five children in Newton County do not know where their next meal will come from, according to the most recent study by food bank umbrella group Feeding America. One of those children is Bill, 16, whose guardian and grandmother, Susan, ...
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 11:41:15 -0800
Beef, fish, or chicken? How about: make it a surprise? For my destination wedding in Provence, France, I decided to buck American convention and not let my guests choose their meal. It made life a lot easier for me — and I think it made the dinner ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.