||This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)
A meal is an eating occasion that takes place at a certain time and includes specific, prepared food, or the food eaten on that occasion. The names used for specific meals in English varies greatly depending on the speaker's culture, the time of day, or the size of the meal.
Meals occur primarily at homes, restaurants, and cafeterias, but may occur anywhere. Regular meals occur on a daily basis, typically several times a day. Special meals are usually held in conjunction with such occasions as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and holidays. A meal is different from a snack in that meals are generally larger, more varied, and more filling than snacks.
The type of meal served or eaten at any given time varies by custom and location. Further, the names of meals are often interchangeable by custom as well. Some serve dinner as the main meal at midday, with supper as the late afternoon/early evening meal; while others may call their midday meal lunch and their early evening meal supper. Except for "breakfast", these names can vary from region to region or even from family to family.
- Breakfast is eaten within an hour or two after a person wakes in the morning.
- Lunch or dinner is eaten around mid-day, usually between 11 am and 2 pm. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content.
- Supper or dinner is eaten in the evening. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content, but many English-speakers use "dinner" for this meal regardless of size.
- Second breakfast is a traditional mid-morning meal served in parts of central Europe, i.e.: Austria, Bavaria (Germany) and Poland
- Elevenses, also called "morning tea", is a drink and light snack taken late morning after breakfast and before lunch.
- Tiffin is a second breakfast or light lunch, most commonly in India.
- Brunch is a late-morning meal, usually larger than a breakfast and usually replacing both breakfast and lunch; it is most common on Sundays.
- Yum cha is a Cantonese morning or afternoon meal where tea and dim sum dishes are served.
- Afternoon tea is a mid-afternoon meal, typically taken at 4 pm, consisting of light fare such as small sandwiches, individual cakes and scones with tea.
- High tea is a British meal usually eaten in the early evening.
- Last meal is a meal served to a prisoner before his execution.
- A multi-course meal is a meal of multiple dishes served in sequence, generally eaten only in the most formal contexts.
- A picnic is an outdoor meal where one brings one's food, such as a sandwich or a prepared meal (sometimes in a picnic basket). It often takes place in a natural or recreational area, such as a park, forest, beach, or lawn. On long drives a picnic may take place at a roadside stop such as a rest area.
- A banquet is a large, formal, elaborate meal, with many guests and dishes.
Fast Food Lasagna - Epic Meal Time
LIKE/FAV We got 45 burgers, a whole bunch of liquor and bacon.... this is Fast Food Lasagna. Buy TSHIRTS!! Click Here! http://shop.epicmealtime.com/ Like on ...
Philly Cheese Cake - Epic Meal Time
Philly Cheese Cake. You'll never see a manlier cake. Get our cookbook at any one of these online stores: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Epic-Meal-Time/Jos...
Squeezeburger Pie - Epic Meal Time
A squeezeburger pie. You know why we called it a sqeezeburger? Because of all the burgers we squeezed into this pie ;)
Ice Cream Cake Sandwich - Epic Meal Time
LIKE/FAV and SUBSCRIBE! EpicMealTime making a baby with the Internet FOR the internet! This quad-core beast is bound to give someone a headache. Be sure to c...
Meat Feuille - Epic Meal Time
LIKE/FAV and SUBSCRIBE! EpicMealTime is stacking paper! Seriously, we made a Meat Feuille and feuille is French for paper... so... Thanks to Felicia Day and ...
How to Prepare Meals for Bodybuilding
A video on how to prep your meal like a bodybuilder. Jonathan's Fanpage: http://www.facebook.com/jonizzyfit Jonathan's Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/pricos...
Bacon Cornucopia - Epic Meal Time
LIKE/FAV and SUBSCRIBE! EpicMealTime bringing the bacon on Thanksgiving, in the grocery store and the kitchen!!! Check out Epic Gaming Time on Original Gamer...
Meatball Deathsub - Epic Meal Time
LIKE/FAV this video!! You thought we'd go easy on the sandwich game?! We take this seriously! EpicMealTime makes a 25lb MeatBall sub that brings back memorie...
The 6 Minute Muscle Building Meal Plan - Healthy Dinners
http://athleanx.com/x/6minutemealplan You will never confuse me with Emeril that's for sure. But that doesn't mean that I can't teach you how to cook up an a...
Short film made in a weekend 5 years ago...
Wed, 18 Dec 2013 06:52:54 -0800
WITH MEAL Three Taverns Feest Noel (Decatur, GA) “Growlers are perfect for big family gatherings, and the draft-only Christmas offering from the freshmen brewery Three Taverns is a great accompaniment. Feest Noel is dark but not too dark, deftly spiced ...
Wed, 18 Dec 2013 00:11:44 -0800
And with just one week left before she hosts the 18th annual Favors Free Christmas Dinner, she doesn't have any besides a few turkeys. “We're desperate,” she said. “After tomorrow, I'll be in panic mode.” Favors first began holding the free meal 18 ...
Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:47:16 -0800
Interestingly, it's this supposed causal relationship between breakfast and body weight that forms a cornerstone belief of the "most important meal of the day" movement. Unfortunately for this movement, the link is weak. And it's correlational, not causal.
Dallas Morning News
Dallas Morning News
Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:39:28 -0800
Christmas is coming and, with it, a big holiday hurdle: preparing a splendid meal while trying to enjoy the celebration. Take your cues from Santa. He gets all the glory for one grand gesture, but the elves do most of the prep work. Let a lacquered ...
Tue, 17 Dec 2013 06:03:45 -0800
With its tentacles and crustaceous claws, this horrifying holiday meal might be better suited to Halloween instead of Christmas. Behold, the Cthurkey! A monstrous hybrid of crab, turkey and octopus – deliberately styled to look like a mythical beast ...
Tue, 17 Dec 2013 22:06:12 -0800
Helping hand. Sarah Spaulding, along with her mom Joan and the rest of the Spaulding clan, is in the midst of planning a free Christmas Day meal at The Hideaway Coffeehouse & Winebar for folks in need or who might be alone during the holidays.
The Sylva Herald
Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:05:55 -0800
Volunteers from Webster Baptist Church have prepared a Christmas dinner for lonely area residents for the past 11 years. This year they'll continue the tradition from noon until 3 p.m., serving ham, turkey and all the fixings in the church fellowship hall.
Wed, 18 Dec 2013 07:39:04 -0800
FEATURED: JoyFund · Galleries · Datacenter · Archives · Watchdog · DealChicken. Search. Search in. News Archives. Local Deals Yellow Pages. ADVERTISEMENT. This fancy holiday meal requires no fancy skills. Dec. 18, 2013 9:33 AM |. Comments · Tweet.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter