For powder made by grinding grain, see flour
Meals have been traditionally prepared by women in a home kitchen (Painting from the circle of Jean-Baptiste de Saive, 1563)
A meal is an eating occasion that takes place at a certain time and includes specific, prepared food, or the food eaten on that occasion. The names used for specific meals in English vary greatly, depending on the speaker's culture, the time of day, or the size of the meal.
Meals occur primarily at homes, restaurants, and cafeterias, but may occur anywhere. Regular meals occur on a daily basis, typically several times a day. Special meals are usually held in conjunction with such occasions as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and holidays. A meal is different from a snack in that meals are generally larger, more varied, and more filling than snacks.
The type of meal served or eaten at any given time varies by custom and location. In most modern cultures, three main meals are eaten: in the morning, early afternoon, and evening. Further, the names of meals are often interchangeable by custom as well. Some serve dinner as the main meal at midday, with supper as the late afternoon/early evening meal; while others may call their midday meal lunch and their early evening meal supper. Except for "breakfast", these names can vary from region to region or even from family to family.
- Breakfast is eaten within an hour or two after a person wakes in the morning.
- Lunch or dinner is eaten around mid-day, usually between 11 am and 2 pm. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content.
- Supper or dinner or tea is eaten in the evening. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content, but many English-speakers use "supper" for this meal regardless of size.
Other types of meals
- A barbecue is a meal at which food (often meat or fish) is cooked out of doors on an open fire or portable grill.
- A banquet is a large, formal, elaborate meal, with many guests and dishes.
- A blue-plate special is a term used in the United States by restaurants that refers to a specially low-priced meal, usually changing daily.
- Brunch is a late-morning meal, usually larger than a breakfast and usually replacing both breakfast and lunch; it is most common on Sundays. Brunch originated in England in the late 1800s, and in the 1930s became popular in the United States.
- A buffet typically involves diners serving themselves from foods placed in a public area. Buffets are effective for serving large numbers of people at once, and are often seen in institutional settings, such as business conventions or large parties. Some restaurants also offer buffets, such as a lunch buffet, or are specifically buffet restaurants.
- Elevenses, also called "morning tea", is a light snack and drink taken in the late morning after breakfast and before lunch.
- A last meal is a meal served to a prisoner before his execution.
- A multicourse meal is a meal of multiple dishes served in sequence.
- A full course dinner in its simplest form, can consist of three or four courses, such as soup, salad, meat and dessert. In formal dining, a full course dinner can consist of many courses, and in some instances the courses are carefully planned to complement each other gastronomically.
- A main course is the featured or primary dish in a meal consisting of several courses. It usually follows the entrée ("entry") course. In the United States it may in fact be called "entree".
- Meals on Wheels are meals delivered as a service to the homes of people who are unable to prepare their own.
- A Meal train Meal trains are commonly organized after significant life events, including birth, adoption, surgery, illness, death, divorce, new job, or moving to a new community. Caring friends, family, co-workers, congregation members, neighbors, and communities show their excitement or compassion though the organized delivery meals.
- A picnic is an outdoor meal where one brings one's food, such as a sandwich or a prepared meal (sometimes in a picnic basket). It often takes place in a natural or recreational area, such as a park, forest, beach, or lawn. On long drives a picnic may take place at a roadside stop such as a rest area. Picnics are often consumed on a picnic table.
- A potluck is a gathering of people where each person or group of people may contribute a dish of food prepared by the person or the group of people, to be shared among the group.
- Second breakfast is a traditional mid-morning meal served in parts of central Europe, i.e.: Austria, Bavaria (Germany) and Poland.
- Tea can refer to any of several different meals or mealtimes, depending on a country's customs and its history of drinking tea. However, in those countries where the term's use is common, the influences are generally those of the former British Empire (now the Commonwealth of Nations). Tea as a meal can be small or large.
- Afternoon tea is a mid-afternoon meal, typically taken at 4 pm, consisting of light fare such as small sandwiches, individual cakes and scones with tea.
- High tea is a British meal usually eaten in the early evening.
- Tiffin is a second breakfast or light lunch, most commonly in India. "Tiffin" can also refer to boxed or packaged lunches that are delivered by dabbawalas in Mumbai to workers in the city.
- Réveillon is a celebratory long dinner held on Christmas Eve in French-speaking countries.
- Sacred meals, such as the Eucharist, a form of theophagy or symbolic rite.
- Symbolic meals, such as were prepared for or represented in tombs, were designed for consumption by the deceased in the after-life. They are often represented in funerary art.
- A wedding breakfast is a dinner given to the bride, groom, and guests at the wedding reception that follows a wedding in the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, Austria and Scandinavia.
- Yum cha is a Cantonese morning or afternoon meal where dim sum dishes and tea are served. In the U.S. and U.K., the word dim sum is often used in place of yum cha.
Types of meals
Meal structure in cuisines
Related terms and concepts
- ^ meal noun (FOOD) - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
- ^ meal - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online
- ^ Wansink, B.; Payne, C. R.; Shimizu, M. (2010). ""Is this a meal or snack?" Situational cues that drive perceptions". Appetite 54 (1): 214–216. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2009.09.016. PMID 19808071.
- ^ "AskOxford: breakfast". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "AskOxford: lunch". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "Definition of supper". Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- ^ O'Donoghue, Ben (2008), Outdoor: grill your way 'round the world, Prahran, Victoria, Australia: Hardie Grant Books, ISBN 9781740665599
- ^ "Banquet." (definition). Merriam-webster.com. Accessed August 2011.
- ^ Rombauer, Irma S.; Becker, Marion Rombauer; Becker, Ethan (2001). Joy of Cooking: All About Breakfast and Brunch. Simon and Schuster. p. 8. ISBN 0743206428.
- ^ A & C Black Publishers Ltd (2009). Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. A & C Black Publishers Ltd. p. 103. ISBN 1408102129.
- ^ (AP) (August 29, 2012). "Study: Death Row inmates pick comfort foods for last meals". CBS News. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- ^ Meals on Wheels Inc. (S. Aust.) (1963), Meals on Wheels : what it is - how it began - what it is now - what it can become!, Meals on Wheels
- ^ a b "AskOxford: tea". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "Definition of tiffin in English". Oxford Dictionaries. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- ^ Narsimhan, Mahtab (2011). Tiffin (abstract). Midpoint Trade Books Incorporated. ISBN 1770860398.
- ^ Sterling, Richard; Chong, Elizabeth; Qin, Lushan Charles (2001). Hong Kong. Lonely Planet. p. 145. ISBN 1864502886.
||Wikiquote has quotations related to: Meal
The Sharpshooter - Epic Meal Time
Happy Canada Day! This one's for the Hitman. LIKE/FAV and SHARE Make sure to watch our new TV show! It premiers on FYI July 26th at 10pm. Download Instaradio...
Daddy Meal Time - Epic Meal Time
We've talked about our dads often enough, so it was about time we brought them on Epic Meal Time. Thanks to Nissan for making this video possible! Check out other videos: http://www.withdad.com/...
MEAL PREP WITH ME! ♡ @ArikaSato
FOR MORE DEETS ABOUT MEAL PREPS: http://arikasato.com ♡ follow me on instagram: http://instagram.com/arikasato ♡ follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/arikasato ♡ like me on FB http://fa...
Bacon Cheeseburger Inception - Epic Meal Time
Is this a real bacon cheeseburger within a bacon cheeseburger within a bacon cheeseburger? Or is it just a dream? LIKE/FAVORITE and SHARE for new meals every...
2015 TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES SET OF 6 McDONALD'S HAPPY MEAL KID'S TOY'S VIDEO REVIEW
Get Your BBTS Exclusives and collectibles Here; http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/default.aspx?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=sportswolf3 Thank's for watching!
Korean BBQ Lasagna - Epic Meal Time
The Sauce Boss quit, so who's going to host the show? The Interview, in theaters December 25, 2014. For more information go to http://TheInterview-Movie.com ...
Nutella Lasagna - Epic Meal Time
Of all the lasagnas out there, this is the one with Nutella. Nutella Lasagna, the only lasagna you can't put in the oven. Watch our TV show Epic Meal Empire,...
Mega Oreo - Epic Meal Time
We did it all for the cookie! This is the Mega Oreo. Or, is it the Megoreo? Either way it's a really big cookie. LIKE/FAV and SHARE Make sure to watch Epic M...
20 Saddest Happy Meal Toys Ever
When you go to McDonald's it's usually a good time, but not always, From toothpaste and dildo shaped toys to temporary tattoos comparable to Nazi symbolism, ...
What’s your favorite cheat meal? - WWE Inbox 155
What do the Superstars and Divas love to eat? Hear from Renee Young, Santino Marella & others as they share their favorite cheat meals, only on WWE Inbox! Send all of your questions to ...
Red and Black
Red and Black
Sun, 25 Jan 2015 11:06:17 -0800
UGA Food Services currently offers 5-day and 7-day unlimited meal plans which are optimal for students living in dorms but impractical for those living off campus. Options like the Bulldog Cafe exist for students in need of a single meal while on campus.
Red and Black
Sun, 25 Jan 2015 07:00:00 -0800
In addition to a full salad bar, students on meal plan also have a variety of fresh fruits available to enhance their diets. Apples, oranges and bananas are all available at almost every dining hall on any given day, and some fruits, like pears and ...
The Sheboygan Press
The Sheboygan Press
Sun, 25 Jan 2015 20:30:00 -0800
When I go to a brunch, I order the big Belgium waffle smothered in real whipped cream and sweetened berries. Egg dishes are OK, but I have a sweet tooth. When our son was young, he figured out that breakfast is the only meal where a dessert can be the ...
San Francisco Chronicle
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 03:49:55 -0800
Post Holdings will spend $1.15 billion to bulk up its presence in the market for bagged and hot cereals by buying the privately held MOM Brands Co., maker of Malt-O-Meal cereals. Post said Monday it will pay $1.05 billion in cash and give MOM Brands ...
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 04:00:00 -0800
Brewer said that the main benefit of having a commuter meal plans was that it allowed him to eat at Couch Restaurants. However, he found that it was not worth it for him to buy so many meals because it was cheaper to eat at other campus eateries ...
Sat, 24 Jan 2015 06:15:00 -0800
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - It's no secret that eating restaurant-prepared meals and eating healthy don't always go hand in hand, but one local business is working to change that by giving customers access to local chefs and nutritious food all with a click ...
Thu, 22 Jan 2015 12:17:21 -0800
A customer carries McCafe cups and a bag of food inside a McDonald's restaurant in Oak Brook, Illinois. Tim Boyle—Bloomberg via Getty Images. If McDonald's franchisees have their way, some coffees, wraps, and Happy Meal options will disappear from ...
Sat, 24 Jan 2015 19:22:30 -0800
One of the biggest barriers to eating healthfully is lack of time to prepare meals. Hy-Vee dietitian, Lindsay Nelson, will talk about tips on menu planning and easy weeknight meals that can be prepped in 15 minutes or less. How to eat wholesome meals ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.