For powder made by grinding grain, see flour
Meals have been traditionally prepared by women in a home kitchen (Painting from the circle of Jean-Baptiste de Saive, 1563)
A meal is an eating occasion that takes place at a certain time and includes specific, prepared food, or the food eaten on that occasion. The names used for specific meals in English varies greatly depending on the speaker's culture, the time of day, or the size of the meal.
Meals occur primarily at homes, restaurants, and cafeterias, but may occur anywhere. Regular meals occur on a daily basis, typically several times a day. Special meals are usually held in conjunction with such occasions as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and holidays. A meal is different from a snack in that meals are generally larger, more varied, and more filling than snacks.
The type of meal served or eaten at any given time varies by custom and location. In most modern cultures, three main meals are eaten: in the morning, early afternoon, and evening. Further, the names of meals are often interchangeable by custom as well. Some serve dinner as the main meal at midday, with supper as the late afternoon/early evening meal; while others may call their midday meal lunch and their early evening meal supper. Except for "breakfast", these names can vary from region to region or even from family to family.
- Breakfast is eaten within an hour or two after a person wakes in the morning.
- Lunch or dinner is eaten around mid-day, usually between 11 am and 2 pm. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content.
- Supper or dinner or tea is eaten in the evening. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content, but many English-speakers use "dinner" for this meal regardless of size.
Other types of meals
- A barbecue is a meal at which food (often meat or fish) is cooked out of doors on an open fire or portable grill.
- A banquet is a large, formal, elaborate meal, with many guests and dishes.
- A blue-plate special is a term used in the United States by restaurants that refers to a specially low-priced meal, usually changing daily.
- Brunch is a late-morning meal, usually larger than a breakfast and usually replacing both breakfast and lunch; it is most common on Sundays. Brunch originated in England in the late 1800s, and in the 1930s became popular in the United States.
- A buffet typically involves diners serving themselves from foods placed in a public area. Buffets are effective for serving large numbers of people at once, and are often seen in institutional settings, such as business conventions or large parties. Some restaurants also offer buffets, such as a lunch buffet, or are specifically buffet restaurants.
- Elevenses, also called "morning tea", is a light snack and drink taken in the late morning after breakfast and before lunch.
- A last meal is a meal served to a prisoner before his execution.
- A multicourse meal is a meal of multiple dishes served in sequence.
- A full course dinner in its simplest form, can consist of three or four courses, such as soup, salad, meat and dessert. In formal dining, a full course dinner can consist of many courses, and in some instances the courses are carefully planned to complement each other gastronomically.
- A main course is the featured or primary dish in a meal consisting of several courses. It usually follows the entrée ("entry") course. In the United States it may in fact be called "entree".
- Meals on Wheels are meals delivered as a service to the homes of people who are unable to prepare their own.
- A Meal train Meal trains are commonly organized after significant life events, including birth, adoption, surgery, illness, death, divorce, new job, or moving to a new community. Caring friends, family, co-workers, congregation members, neighbors, and communities show their excitement or compassion though the organized delivery meals.
- A picnic is an outdoor meal where one brings one's food, such as a sandwich or a prepared meal (sometimes in a picnic basket). It often takes place in a natural or recreational area, such as a park, forest, beach, or lawn. On long drives a picnic may take place at a roadside stop such as a rest area. Picnics are often consumed on a picnic table.
- A potluck is a gathering of people where each person or group of people may contribute a dish of food prepared by the person or the group of people, to be shared among the group.
- Second breakfast is a traditional mid-morning meal served in parts of central Europe, i.e.: Austria, Bavaria (Germany) and Poland.
- Tea can refer to any of several different meals or mealtimes, depending on a country's customs and its history of drinking tea. However, in those countries where the term's use is common, the influences are generally those of the former British Empire (now the Commonwealth of Nations). Tea as a meal can be small or large.
- Afternoon tea is a mid-afternoon meal, typically taken at 4 pm, consisting of light fare such as small sandwiches, individual cakes and scones with tea.
- High tea is a British meal usually eaten in the early evening.
- Tiffin is a second breakfast or light lunch, most commonly in India. "Tiffin" can also refer to boxed or packaged lunches that are delivered by dabbawalas in Mumbai to workers in the city.
- Réveillon is a celebratory long dinner held on Christmas Eve in French-speaking countries.
- Sacred meals, such as the Eucharist, a form of theophagy or symbolic rite.
- Symbolic meals, such as were prepared for or represented in tombs, were designed for consumption by the deceased in the after-life. They are often represented in funerary art.
- A wedding breakfast is a dinner given to the bride, groom, and guests at the wedding reception that follows a wedding in the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, Austria and Scandinavia.
- Yum cha is a Cantonese morning or afternoon meal where dim sum dishes and tea are served. In the U.S. and U.K., the word dim sum is often used in place of yum cha.
Types of meals
Meal structure in cuisines
Related terms and concepts
- ^ meal noun (FOOD) - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
- ^ meal - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online
- ^ Wansink, B.; Payne, C. R.; Shimizu, M. (2010). ""Is this a meal or snack?" Situational cues that drive perceptions". Appetite 54 (1): 214–216. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2009.09.016. PMID 19808071.
- ^ "AskOxford: breakfast". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "AskOxford: lunch". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "Definition of supper". Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- ^ O'Donoghue, Ben (2008), Outdoor: grill your way 'round the world, Prahran, Victoria, Australia: Hardie Grant Books, ISBN 9781740665599
- ^ "Banquet." (definition). Merriam-webster.com. Accessed August 2011.
- ^ Rombauer, Irma S.; Becker, Marion Rombauer; Becker, Ethan (2001). Joy of Cooking: All About Breakfast and Brunch. Simon and Schuster. p. 8. ISBN 0743206428.
- ^ A & C Black Publishers Ltd (2009). Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. A & C Black Publishers Ltd. p. 103. ISBN 1408102129.
- ^ (AP) (August 29, 2012). "Study: Death Row inmates pick comfort foods for last meals". CBS News. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- ^ Meals on Wheels Inc. (S. Aust.) (1963), Meals on Wheels : what it is - how it began - what it is now - what it can become!, Meals on Wheels
- ^ a b "AskOxford: tea". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "Definition of tiffin in English". Oxford Dictionaries. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- ^ Narsimhan, Mahtab (2011). Tiffin (abstract). Midpoint Trade Books Incorporated. ISBN 1770860398.
- ^ Sterling, Richard; Chong, Elizabeth; Qin, Lushan Charles (2001). Hong Kong. Lonely Planet. p. 145. ISBN 1864502886.
||Wikiquote has quotations related to: Meal
Breakfast Italian - Epic Meal Time
This is NOT the same thing as Italian Breakfast. Watch Epic Meal Empire, Fridays at 10pm in the US and Mondays at 10pm in Canada on fyi! Click for more info:...
Thanksgiving Voltron - Epic Meal Time
Happy Thanksgiving from the whole Epic Meal Time team! Watch Epic Meal Empire, Fridays at 10pm ET in the US and Mondays at 10pm ET in Canada on fyi! Click for more info: http://www.fyi.tv...
The Sharpshooter - Epic Meal Time
Happy Canada Day! This one's for the Hitman. LIKE/FAV and SHARE Make sure to watch our new TV show! It premiers on FYI July 26th at 10pm. Download Instaradio...
Breakfast Log Cabin - Epic Meal Time
How long are we just going to sit here and NOT build a house made out of breakfast??? LIKE/FAVORITE and SHARE for new meals every week! Need tools to cook wi...
Home For The Holidays: The Meal #HappyThanksgiving
Subscribe today! http://www.youtube.com/user/alldefdigital?sub_confirmation=1 Billy goes home for Thanksgiving dinner, but right as the meal is served Grand Daddy Willie Simms' arch nemesis...
Italian Breakfast - Epic Meal Time
Pizza pancakes... what else do you need? Watch our TV show Epic Meal Empire, Fridays at 10pm in the US and Mondays at 10pm in Canada Click for more info: htt...
Mega Oreo - Epic Meal Time
We did it all for the cookie! This is the Mega Oreo. Or, is it the Megoreo? Either way it's a really big cookie. LIKE/FAV and SHARE Make sure to watch Epic M...
Nutella Lasagna - Epic Meal Time
Of all the lasagnas out there, this is the one with Nutella. Nutella Lasagna, the only lasagna you can't put in the oven. Watch our TV show Epic Meal Empire,...
Fast Food Lasagna - Epic Meal Time
MAKE A MEAL WITH US & ARNOLD!!!! http://omaze.com/Epic LIKE/FAV We got 45 burgers, a whole bunch of liquor and bacon.... this is Fast Food Lasagna. Buy TSHIR...
Fast Food Meatloaf Lasagna - Epic Meal Time
Food that's so comfortable it'll make you pass out. LIKE/FAVORITE and SHARE for new meals every week! Need tools to cook with? Order the cooking arsenal: htt...
Los Angeles Times
Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:02:19 -0800
The meal portion of the package includes squab stuffed with foie gras soaked in a $5,000 bottle of Courvoisier L'Esprit Cognac, a farm-roasted organic turkey with stuffing made with 7 pounds of $200-per-pound Japanese Wagyu filet mignon, turkey gravy ...
KSAT San Antonio
KSAT San Antonio
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:55:56 -0800
Now in its 39th year, Operation Home Cooking gives trainees a chance to experience the warmth and hospitality of a home-cooked holiday meal. The Arthur family saved two extra seats at their table and shared a traditional Thanksgiving feast with two ...
Baraboo News Republic
Baraboo News Republic
Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:15:00 -0800
“It's a godsend,” he said of the free Thanksgiving meal. “I think it gives citizens an opportunity to connect.” Kory Cummings is a longtime member of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, which puts on the annual dinner. He is on the committee that ...
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:07:30 -0800
This year, the meal included turkey, mashed potatoes, vegetarian stuffing by Melnick, gravy, cranberry sauce, green beans, rolls and different types of pie. About a dozen regular volunteers operate the feast, preparing food and serving up plates to tables.
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 18:48:45 -0800
SONOMA, CA - NOVEMBER 26: With less than one week before Thanksgiving, a turkey sits in a barn at the Willie Bird Turkey Farm November 26, 2013 in Sonoma, California. An estimated forty six million turkeys are cooked and eaten during Thanksgiving ...
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:26:15 -0800
The guys from Epic Meal Time may be Canadian, but they're still stuffing their faces for Turkey day ... and we guarantee your Aunt Betty won't be making this for Thanksgiving. Harley Morenstein tells us he was still hungry for holiday meats following T ...
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 17:18:45 -0800
And, of course, to finish the traditional Thanksgiving meal: pumpkin and pecan pies. And it was all free, as it is every year. The meal was "fabulous," according to Anna Sloan, who came with her friend and neighbor, Kathryn Boyd. It was their first ...
Thu, 27 Nov 2014 15:13:26 -0800
Beverly Ambridge hugs every person who enters for lunch on Thanksgiving at The Shepherd's Table in Conway. More than 65 churches support The Shepherd's Table through food donations, time and money. It is open every weekday for dinner from 4:30 ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.