- Meal can also refer to coarse flour (wholemeal flour).
Meals have been traditionally prepared by women in a home kitchen (Painting from the circle of Jean-Baptiste de Saive, 1563)
A meal is an eating occasion that takes place at a certain time and includes specific, prepared food, or the food eaten on that occasion. The names used for specific meals in English varies greatly depending on the speaker's culture, the time of day, or the size of the meal.
Meals occur primarily at homes, restaurants, and cafeterias, but may occur anywhere. Regular meals occur on a daily basis, typically several times a day. Special meals are usually held in conjunction with such occasions as birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and holidays. A meal is different from a snack in that meals are generally larger, more varied, and more filling than snacks.
The type of meal served or eaten at any given time varies by custom and location. In most modern cultures, three main meals are eaten: in the morning, early afternoon, and evening. Further, the names of meals are often interchangeable by custom as well. Some serve dinner as the main meal at midday, with supper as the late afternoon/early evening meal; while others may call their midday meal lunch and their early evening meal supper. Except for "breakfast", these names can vary from region to region or even from family to family.
- Breakfast is eaten within an hour or two after a person wakes in the morning.
- Lunch or dinner is eaten around mid-day, usually between 11 am and 2 pm. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content.
- Supper or dinner or tea is eaten in the evening. In some areas, the name for this meal depends on its content, but many English-speakers use "dinner" for this meal regardless of size.
Other types of meals
- A barbecue is a meal at which food (often meat or fish) is cooked out of doors on an open fire or portable grill.
- A banquet is a large, formal, elaborate meal, with many guests and dishes.
- A blue-plate special is a term used in the United States by restaurants that refers to a specially low-priced meal, usually changing daily.
- Brunch is a late-morning meal, usually larger than a breakfast and usually replacing both breakfast and lunch; it is most common on Sundays. Brunch originated in England in the late 1800s, and in the 1930s became popular in the United States.
- A buffet typically involves diners serving themselves from foods placed in a public area. Buffets are effective for serving large numbers of people at once, and are often seen in institutional settings, such as business conventions or large parties. Some restaurants also offer buffets, such as a lunch buffet, or are specifically buffet restaurants.
- Elevenses, also called "morning tea", is a light snack and drink taken in the late morning after breakfast and before lunch.
- A last meal is a meal served to a prisoner before his execution.
- A multicourse meal is a meal of multiple dishes served in sequence.
- A full course dinner in its simplest form, can consist of three or four courses, such as soup, salad, meat and dessert. In formal dining, a full course dinner can consist of many courses, and in some instances the courses are carefully planned to complement each other gastronomically.
- A main course is the featured or primary dish in a meal consisting of several courses. It usually follows the entrée ("entry") course. In the United States it may in fact be called "entree".
- Meals on Wheels are meals delivered as a service to the homes of people who are unable to prepare their own.
- A Meal train Meal trains are commonly organized after significant life events, including birth, adoption, surgery, illness, death, divorce, new job, or moving to a new community. Caring friends, family, co-workers, congregation members, neighbors, and communities show their excitement or compassion though the organized delivery meals.
- A picnic is an outdoor meal where one brings one's food, such as a sandwich or a prepared meal (sometimes in a picnic basket). It often takes place in a natural or recreational area, such as a park, forest, beach, or lawn. On long drives a picnic may take place at a roadside stop such as a rest area. Picnics are often consumed on a picnic table.
- A potluck is a gathering of people where each person or group of people may contribute a dish of food prepared by the person or the group of people, to be shared among the group.
- Second breakfast is a traditional mid-morning meal served in parts of central Europe, i.e.: Austria, Bavaria (Germany) and Poland.
- Tea can refer to any of several different meals or mealtimes, depending on a country's customs and its history of drinking tea. However, in those countries where the term's use is common, the influences are generally those of the former British Empire (now the Commonwealth of Nations). Tea as a meal can be small or large.
- Afternoon tea is a mid-afternoon meal, typically taken at 4 pm, consisting of light fare such as small sandwiches, individual cakes and scones with tea.
- High tea is a British meal usually eaten in the early evening.
- Tiffin is a second breakfast or light lunch, most commonly in India. "Tiffin" can also refer to boxed or packaged lunches that are delivered by dabbawalas in Mumbai to workers in the city.
- Réveillon is a celebratory long dinner held on Christmas Eve in French-speaking countries.
- Sacred meals, such as the Eucharist, a form of theophagy or symbolic rite.
- Symbolic meals, such as were prepared for or represented in tombs, were designed for consumption by the deceased in the after-life. They are often represented in funerary art.
- A wedding breakfast is a dinner given to the bride, groom, and guests at the wedding reception that follows a wedding in the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, Austria and Scandinavia.
- Yum cha is a Cantonese morning or afternoon meal where dim sum dishes and tea are served. In the U.S. and U.K., the word dim sum is often used in place of yum cha.
Types of meals
Meal structure in cuisines
Related terms and concepts
- ^ meal noun (FOOD) - definition in the British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionaries Online
- ^ meal - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online
- ^ Wansink, B.; Payne, C. R.; Shimizu, M. (2010). ""Is this a meal or snack?" Situational cues that drive perceptions". Appetite 54 (1): 214–216. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2009.09.016. PMID 19808071.
- ^ "AskOxford: breakfast". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "AskOxford: lunch". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "Definition of supper". Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- ^ O'Donoghue, Ben (2008), Outdoor: grill your way 'round the world, Prahran, Victoria, Australia: Hardie Grant Books, ISBN 9781740665599
- ^ "Banquet." (definition). Merriam-webster.com. Accessed August 2011.
- ^ Rombauer, Irma S.; Becker, Marion Rombauer; Becker, Ethan (2001). Joy of Cooking: All About Breakfast and Brunch. Simon and Schuster. p. 8. ISBN 0743206428.
- ^ A & C Black Publishers Ltd (2009). Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. A & C Black Publishers Ltd. p. 103. ISBN 1408102129.
- ^ (AP) (August 29, 2012). "Study: Death Row inmates pick comfort foods for last meals". CBS News. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- ^ Meals on Wheels Inc. (S. Aust.) (1963), Meals on Wheels : what it is - how it began - what it is now - what it can become!, Meals on Wheels
- ^ a b "AskOxford: tea". Retrieved 2008-07-20.
- ^ "Definition of tiffin in English". Oxford Dictionaries. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- ^ Narsimhan, Mahtab (2011). Tiffin (abstract). Midpoint Trade Books Incorporated. ISBN 1770860398.
- ^ Sterling, Richard; Chong, Elizabeth; Qin, Lushan Charles (2001). Hong Kong. Lonely Planet. p. 145. ISBN 1864502886.
||Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Meal
Poultry Salad - Epic Meal Time
This is the way salad is supposed to evolve. Forget vegetables, use birds! This is Poultry Salad. LIKE/FAV and SHARE Make sure to watch our new TV show! Saturdays at 10pm on FYI. Order our...
The Sharpshooter - Epic Meal Time
Happy Canada Day! This one's for the Hitman. LIKE/FAV and SHARE Make sure to watch our new TV show! It premiers on FYI July 26th at 10pm. Order our NEW cookb...
Fast Food Lasagna - Epic Meal Time
MAKE A MEAL WITH US & ARNOLD!!!! http://omaze.com/Epic LIKE/FAV We got 45 burgers, a whole bunch of liquor and bacon.... this is Fast Food Lasagna. Buy TSHIR...
Tortilla Chip Pizza - Epic Meal Time
Order our NEW cookbook! Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/147674601X?tag=simonsayscom B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/epic-meal-time-harley...
Pork Cheetos - Epic Meal Time
MAKE A MEAL WITH US & ARNOLD!!!! http://omaze.com/Epic Epic Meal Time turning this classic snack into a meal that'll get us fired up for some gaming against ...
Lamburgini Linguine - Epic Meal Time
We're making a TV show! Still got love for the internet though! This is the Lamburgini Linguine LIKE/FAV and SHARE Order our NEW cookbook! Amazon: http://www...
New Gun Hugging Shirts & Meal Plan For The Ladies
Get Our Preworkout Here- http://www.tigerfitness.com/PreOG-by-Physiques-of-Greatness-p/preog.htm For my "FAT LOSS" meal plans, programs & online coaching go to- https://beastmodecoaching.myshopify...
Taterbot - Epic Meal Empire - Full Episode 1
Here is an exclusive premiere just for you, the internet. This is the full first episode of Epic Meal Empire coming to fyi, July 26th at 10pm! Check out fyi,...
Epic Meal Empire Exclusive First Look!
Here's an exclusive first look at our new office space and kitchen for our TV show! Make sure to watch Epic Meal Empire coming to fyi on July 26th at 10PM. E...
BBQ Breakfast - Epic Meal Time
Now you can eat BBQ any time of day! This is BBQ Breakfast. LIKE/FAV and SHARE Check out the Sauce Boss on @Midnight this Thursday on Comedy Central. Make su...
Los Angeles Times
Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:45:00 -0700
The meal, which comes with a 1,670-calorie burger and unlimited 370-calorie servings of fries, earned one of the Center for Science in the Public Interest's 2014 Xtreme Eating awards. The winners, announced Wednesday, are restaurant dishes that the ...
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:56:15 -0700
She tells HLN the group "prayed over our meal and the waitress came over at the end of the meal and said, 'Just so you know, we gave you a 15% discount for praying,' which I'd never seen before." Impressed, Smith shared a photo of the receipt on her ...
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:56:13 -0700
According to CSPI, it's the “single unhealthiest” meal available at a chain restaurant, with 69 grams of saturated fat, 6,280 mg of sodium and an estimated almost three-quarters of a cup of added sugar. CSPI notes that to work off a meal of such, ahem, ...
Wall Street Journal (blog)
Wall Street Journal (blog)
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 05:00:00 -0700
Emily and Rob LaFave, the co-founders of Foodzie, acquired by Joyus in 2012, are back in the food tech scene with a new company called Forage Inc. Their new venture, which they created with CTO and co-founder Josh Fraser, puts a twist on meal-kit ...
Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:48:45 -0700
July 30, 2014 -- Talk about a belt buster. The Monster burger meal from Red Robin -- featuring a double-patty burger, steak fries, and a milkshake -- clocks in at 3,540 calories, 69 grams of saturated fat, and more than 4 days' worth of sodium, making ...
Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:18:45 -0700
At 3,540 calories, it's the "single unhealthiest" meal the group could find on more than 200 chain restaurant menus it reviewed for the 2014 edition of its not-very-coveted Xtreme Eating Awards. The awards go to dishes and combos especially high in ...
New York Times (blog)
New York Times (blog)
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:52:30 -0700
It was a true “last meal.” I would bike a great distance again for the smoked lamb-liver crostino with marinated sunflower buds (see recipe below). We drank plenty of great local Brooks riesling and Soter pinot noir that the boys had bartered ...
Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:08:31 -0700
Red Robin is home to the "single unhealthiest" meal a person can order at a chain restaurant. According to USA Today, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) reviewed menus from over 200 chains for its annual Xtreme Eating Awards, where ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter