Finnish ItPsv 90
|Place of origin||United Kingdom|
|Crew||3 (driver, gunner, commander) + back-up crew|
|Armor||ballistic immunity from 14.5 mm heavy machine guns and 155 mm air bursts|
|2 × 35 mm autocannon
460 fragmentation rounds and 40 anti-tank rounds
|8 × smoke grenade dischargers|
|Engine||V-55 V-12 diesel engine
620 hp (462 kW)
|Marksman fitted to Vickers Mk 2 tank hull|
|Fitting Marksman turret to Challenger hull|
Marksman is a British anti-aircraft weapon system, consisting of a turret, a Marconi Series 400 radar and two Swiss 35 mm Oerlikon autocannons. The system was developed by Marconi and is similar to the German Gepard system in terms of engine performance, ammunition carried and effective range of the ammunition.
The turret could be adapted to many basic tank chassis, creating a self-propelled anti-aircraft gun (SPAAG). The only operator of the system is the Finnish Army, which ordered 7 units in 1990. The turrets were fitted on Polish T-55AM tank chassis. The system is known as the ItPsv 90 in Finnish service (Ilmatorjuntapanssarivaunu 90, Anti-Aircraft tank 90, the number being the year the tank entered service). It is considered a very accurate anti-aircraft artillery system, having a documented hit percentage of 52.44%.
In 2010, the Marksman systems in service in Finland were moved to war-time storage. In 2015 work began to install the system on the Leopard 2A4 chassis in order to make up for the loss of mobile anti-aircraft coverage when the Marksman was originally retired. 
Finland has seven ItPsv 90 Marksman anti-aircraft systems, providing low-level air-defense for tank battalions. The SPAAGs are organically tied to the headquarters company and form teams of two. The vehicles have an all-day capacity, and there is also a back-up crew to ensure combat survivability. The ItPsv 90 Marksman is primarily meant to fight helicopters, low-flying aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). It is also possible to engage surface and armored targets.
The chassis of the ItPsv 90 Marksman is a Polish T-55AM tank, which has been modified to fit the turret. The AM version was chosen due to the increased weight of the system (a T55AM weighs 36 tons, while a T-55AM Marksman weighs 41 tons) and the AM has more power (620 hp) than a regular T-55. The weapon system is guided by a British Marconi 400 series frequency agile surveillance and tracking X/J-band radar, which is able to detect targets out to 12 km in search mode and 10 km in tracking mode. The laser distance measure device functions up to 8 km. The commander and the gun operator both have gyro-stabilized optical aiming devices.
The armament consists of two Swiss 35 mm Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns, with a rate of fire of 18 rounds per second. The fragmentation round has a muzzle velocity of 1,175 m/s. The effective range is 4,000 meters. The vehicle is also equipped with eight Wegmann 76 mm smoke dischargers, a 7.62 mm assault rifle, and a flare gun. The turret can traverse a full 360 degrees and has an elevation range of −10 to +85 degrees. The magazines hold 460 fragmentation rounds and 40 anti-tank rounds.
There are three communication radios in the vehicle for fire guidance and communications.
The vehicle is operated by three crew — commander, gunner, and driver.
- Centurion Marksman: a Marksman turret on a Centurion chassis.
- Chieftain Marksman: a Marksman turret on a Chieftain chassis.
- Challenger Marksman: a Marksman turret on a Challenger 1 chassis.
- G6 Marksman: a Marksman turret on a G6 chassis.
- Leopard 1 Marksman: a Marksman turret on a Leopard 1 chassis.
- ItPsv 90: a Marksman turret on a T-55AM chassis. Operated by Finland.
- M48 Marksman: a Marksman turret on a M48 Patton chassis.
- T-55 Marksman: a Marksman turret on a T-55 chassis.
- Type 59 Marksman: a Marksman turret on a Type 59 chassis.
- Vickers Marksman: a Marksman turret on a Vickers Mk 3 MBT chassis.
Please note that the above mentioned versions are possible configurations as only the ItPsV 90 system is deployed.
- ZSU-23-4 Shilka
- Type 95 SPAAA
- Type 87 self-propelled anti-aircraft gun
- PZA Loara
- M247 Sergeant York
- Flakpanzer Gepard
- Ilmatorjuntaupseeri: Panssari-ilmatorjuntakoulutus Hämeen Ilmatorjuntapatteristossa
- Helsingin Ilmatorjuntarykmentin ilmatorjuntapanssarivaunut viimeistä kertaa Lohtajan dyyneillä. Puolustusvoimat, 19 November 2010. Retrieved on 2013-05-18.
- Armeija ottaa vanhojen Marksman-vaunujen tykkitornit uuteen käyttöön. Helsingin Sanomat, 25 March 2015. Retrieved on 2015-03-25.
- "Denel in UK gun link-up". Flight International (Flightglobal.com) (14–20 September 2004): 10. 14–20 September 2004. ISSN 0015-3710.
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.