|Birth name||Kyriaki Papadopoulou|
May 20, 1938 |
|Genres||Folk, laïko, blues, rebetiko|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer, actress|
|Labels||PolyGram Greece, Minos EMI, BMG Greece, Universal Music Greece|
Marinella (Greek: Μαρινέλλα) (born May 20, 1938) is one of the most popular Greek singers whose career has spanned several decades. She has sung professionally since 1957. Since the beginning of her career, she has released 66 personal albums and has been featured in albums of other musicians.
She was born Kyriaki Papadopoulou (Κυριακή Παπαδοπούλου), in the city of Thessaloniki in northern Greece. Her parents were Greek refugees from Constantinople. She is the fourth and last child of a large family, which despite its poverty, was rich in love and in artistic vein. The whole family gathered around the turntable and sang, while her father tried to teach children the steps of the waltz and the tango. From four years singing on the radio broadcast in "Pediki Ora (Child Time)" and later did ads for shops "Melka" in Thessaloniki, pushing the first pocket money. She participated in many performances of children's theater.
At age 15, she gave up her budding career to finish school, but by seventeen, her passion for the theater is stirring and she joins the artistic group of Mary Laurent, a "mpoulouki" (so called then the singer troupes that traveled Greece end-to-end for performances) and plays small roles. One day, the lead singer fell sick and sought Marinella as a replacement, who was willing to take the singer's place. At that moment, the Greek music world found one of its best representatives. Marinella became the lead singer of the troupe. She later joined the Military Theater because the payment was better. At the same time she started her career as a singer at the "Panorama" center of Thessaloniki. There, Tolis Harmas coined the name "Marinella" for her, inspired by his song.
She released her first song in 1957, "Nitsa, Elenitsa (Little Helen)". Her early career was marked by her collaboration with singer Stelios Kazantzidis. Together they managed to become the greatest duet of Greece, unsurpassed until today. Starting at the night club "Luxembourg" in Thessaloniki where they enjoyed great success, they later moved to Athens, the capital, where they became widely known.
They sang pieces of Mikis Theodorakis, Manos Hadjidakis, Vassilis Tsitsanis, Giorgos Mitsakis, Giorgos Zambetas, Apostolos Kaldaras, Theodoros Derveniotis, Stavros Xarchakos, Christos Leontis, whom are considered the best composers of the era.
Marinella married Stelios Kazantzidis on May 7, 1964 and they toured together in Germany and the United States. They divorced in September 1966. Marinella then began a solo career and eventually in 1974 married singer Tolis Voskopoulos. This second marriage also ended in divorce in 1981.
In October 1970, Marinella participated in the V Festival Internacional da Cançao Popular – Parte Internacion (FIC) in Rio de Janeiro, representing Greece with the song "Kyra Giorgena (Wife of George)", finishing 4th among 38 countries. On October 24, 1970, the Billboard wrote "Marinella from Greece, knows audiences in Athens clubs, carries enchantment in her songs and the warmth of the sun in her voice" (by Henry Johnston).
Marinella was the first Greek singer to participate in the International MIDEM Festival of 1973 in Cannes with and three new songs of Stavros Xarchakos and in the Eurovision Song Contest of 1974, placing eleventh with the song "Krasi, Thalassa Kai T' Agori Mou (Wine, sea and my boyfriend)".
She also performed in several Greek musicals, both as singer and actress. Her popularity rose in the late 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, with a string of successful albums and live shows. She developed a new standard for shows in the Greek night clubs, introducing costumes, dancing, and special lighting effects. Many of today's popular Greek singers have modelled their shows on Marinella's shows of the 1980s.
On April 27, 1998, Marinella performed in the Athens Concert Hall, performing her older hits to great acclaim. Her concert at the small Olympic Stadium of Athens on October 1, 1999 was a great success with more than 25,000 people.
In November 2002, she collaborated with George Dalaras. They gave concerts in Athens and Thessaloniki as well as abroad. The tour was titled "Mazi (Together)" and the released live album from these performances reached platinum status in 2003. On April 10, 2003, the New York Times wrote about Marinella "Her voice was earthy and strong, and she had the presence of an actress as she danced a few teasing steps or brought dignity to longing" (by Jon Pareles).
In March 2004, she released a brand new album with new songs by Nikos Antypas and Lina Nikolakopoulou, entitled "Ammos Itane (It was sand)". In the same year, on August 19, she performed at the closing ceremony of the 2004 Summer Olympics, along with Dimitra Galani, Haris Alexiou, Yiannis Parios and George Dalaras.
In December 2005, Marinella released a new album titled "Tipota Den Ginete Tihea (Nothing is random)", composed by Giorgos Theofanous. The album reached gold status and includes duets with famous Greek singers, such as Antonis Remos, Glykeria and Kostas Makedonas.
In 2006, two new compilations of Marinella were officially released, the first titled "Sti Skini (On stage)" and containing older live recordings and the second one titled "Ta Logia Ine Peritta – 50 Chronia Tragoudi (Words are pointless – 50 Years of song)", which is a complete eight CDs boxset with Marinella's greatest hits from the beginning of her career until her collaboration with Kostas Hatzis at "Recital".
Marinella returned again to nightlife, by performing live with Antonis Remos at the Athens Arena in 2006 – 2007 and 2007 – 2008, with Giannis Parios at the Diogenis Studio in the winter season 2008 – 2009, and with Natassa Theodoridou at the Votanikos in 2011 – 2012, in Athens.
Marinella's hit "Ego Ki' Esy (Ta Logia Ine Peritta) - You And I (Words are pointless)"
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Marinella will be starting performing her successful show entitled "The Musical", in October 2010 at Palace Theatre in Athens.
Even though Marinella is often considered a singer of folk songs, her range is quite broad and has included a variety of musical styles including traditional, laika, pop, blues, and jazz. Marinella is characterised as "The Great Lady of Song" in Greece, where she is regarded with great respect. She rarely makes public appearances, and her concerts are few.
- 1964: Kazantzidis & Marinella – Megales Epitihies (Great hits)
- 1965: Chrysos Diskos Kazantzidi & Marinellas (Golden record)
- 1967: Anapolontas (Remembering with Stelios Kazanztidis and Marinella)
- 1969: Stalia - Stalia (Drop by drop)
- 1969: Kazantzidis & Marinella
- 1969: Otan Simani Esperinos (When the evening bells are ringing)
- 1969: Marinella
- 1970: Ena Tragoudi Ein' I Zoi Mou (A song is my life)
- 1970: Kazantzidis & Marinella Sing Greek Songs
- 1971: Marinella – Enas Mythos (A tale)
- 1972: Athanata Rebetika (Immortal Rebetiko songs)
- 1973: Albania
- 1974: Marinella Gia Panta (Marinella forever) – Cyprus release
- 1974: Marinella & Voskopoulos
- 1974: Marinella & Tolis Voskopoulos – Ego Ki' Esy (You and I)
- 1975: Marinella Gia Panta (Marinella forever)
- 1976: Alli Mia Fora (Once again)
- 1977: Marinella & Athenians
- 1978: I Marinella Tou Simera (Marinella of today)
- 1979: S' Agapo (I love you)
- 1980: I Marinella Se Tragoudia Tis Vembo (Marinella in songs of Vembo)
- 1981: Marinella – Gia 'Senane Mporo (For you, I can)
- 1983: Gia 'Sena Ton Agnosto (For you, the unknown)
- 1984: Megales Stigmes (Great times)
- 1985: I Agapi Mas (Our love)
- 1986: Mia Nihta (One night)
- 1987: Marinella & Kostas Hatzis – Synantisi (Meeting)
- 1988: Tolmo (I dare)
- 1989: Eisai Mia Thiella (You're a storm)
- 1990: Lege Mou "S' agapo" (Keep telling me "I love you")
- 1991: Stelios Kazantzidis & Marinella – Ta Tragoudia Tis Amerikis (The songs of America)
- 1992: I Marinella Tragouda Mimi Plessa (Marinella sings Mimis Plessa)
- 1992: I Marinella Tragouda Megales Kyries (Marinella sings great Ladies)
- 1993: To Ximeroma Tou Erota (The dawn of love)
- 1994: I Marinella Tragouda Hatzinasio (Marinella sings George Hadjinasio)
- 1995: Ta Prota Mou Tragoudia (My first songs 1967 – 1970)
- 1996: Ta Prota Mou Tragoudia Nο. 2 (My first songs No. 2 1971 – 1974)
- 1997: Gia Proti Fora (For the first time)
- 1997: Tragoudia Apo Tis 45' Strofes (Songs of 45' rpm vinyl records)
- 2004: Ammos Itane (It was sand)
- 2005: Tipota Den Ginete Tihea (Νothing is random)
- 1972: Mia Vradia Me Tin Marinella (An evening with Marinella)
- 1973: Mia Vradia Me Tin Marinella No. 2 (An evening with Marinella no. 2)
- 1976: Marinella & Kostas Hatzis – Recital
- 1980: Marinella & Kostas Hatzis – To Tam-Tam (The tam-tam)
- 1998: I Marinella Tragouda Ke Thimate (Marinella sings and remembers)
- 1999: Me Varka To Tragoudi (With boat the song)
- 2003: Marinella & George Dalaras – Mazi (Together)
- 2007: Marinella & Antonis Remos – Live
- 1971: Ena Karavi Gemato Tragoudia (A boat full of songs)
- 1991: I Pariziana (The Parisienne)
- 1995: I Prova Tou Nifikou (Fitting of the wedding dress)
- 1995: Gorgones Ke Magkes (Mermaids and tough guys)
- 2000: Ystera Irthan I Melisses (And then, came the bees)
- 1962: Mikis Theodorakis – Greek Serenade
- 1963: Kostas Virvos – Pikres Ke Hares
- 1963: Mikis Theodorakis No. 1
- 1963: Holiday in Greece
- 1965: Stelios Kazantzidis Sings
- 1965: The Voice of Stelios Kazantzidis
- 1965: Stelios Kazantzidis No. 2
- 1965: Vassilis Tsitsanis – Synnefiasmeni Kyriaki
- 1965: Manos Hadjidakis – Proti Ektelesi
- 1965: Christos Leontis – Katahnia
- 1965: Stelios Kazantzidis No. 3
- 1965: Tragoudia Tis Xenitias
- 1965: Dodeka Megales Epitihies Tou Miki Theodoraki
- 1965: Stelios Kazantzidis – Tragoudiste Mazi Mou
- 1965: Retsina Ke Mpouzouki No. 3
- 1966: Christos Leontis – Anastasi Oneiron
- 1968: Kazantzides
- 1968: Stelios Kazantzidis – Stigmes
- 1970: V Festival Internacional Da Canção Popular – Rio (Parte Internacional)
- 1971: Christos Leontis – Dodeka Para Pente
- 1971: 12 Syghrona Laika Chromata
- 1972: Stelios Kazantzidis No. 4
- 1972: To 13ari Tis Epitichias
- 1973: Njihovi Uspesi
- 1974: Eurovision 1974
- 1974: Mikis Theodorakis No. 2
- 1974: Kryfa Minymata 1967 - 1974
- 1974: Stelios Kazantzidis No. 5
- 1975: Tolis Voskopoulos – Ego Ti Eho Ke Ti Tha 'Ho
- 1976: Tolis Voskopoulos – Smyrneika Ke Laika
- 1976: Tolis Voskopoulos – Otan Tragoudo
- 1976: Stelios Kazantzidis No. 6 · Marinella
- 1976: Mikis Theodorakis – Politeia
- 1977: Nasos Panagiotou – Ilie Megale
- 1977: O Kazantzidis Se Dimotika Tragoudia
- 1977: Dimotiki Anthologia No. 3
- 1977: Stelios Kazantzidis No. 8
- 1978: Stelios Kazantzidis – Monaxia Mou
- 1978: Tolis Voskopoulos – Tragouda Theatrine!
- 1979: Akis Panou – Ase Me Zoi
- 1980: Tolis Voskopoulos – 80
- 1981: Giannis Kalatzis – Gia Olous
- 1981: Voskopoulos – Kardia Mou Moni
- 1981: Stelios Kazantzidis 1953-60
- 1981: Stelios Kazantzidis 1961-63
- 1982: Tolis Voskopoulos – Den Thelo Na Thimame
- 1982: O Stelios Kazantzidis Tragouda Mpampi Mpakali
- 1982: Stelios Kazantzidis – I Megales Epitichies Tou
- 1983: Giannis Spartakos – 50 Chronia Tragoudi
- 1983: 30 Chryses Epitihies Tou Miki Theodoraki No. 2
- 1983: 30 Chronia Kaldaras No. 2
- 1983: Manos Hadjidakis – 30 Spanies Erminies No. 2
- 1983: Ta 14 Chasapisa Tou Hthes Ke Tou Simera
- 1984: Stelios Kazantzidis – Anekdota Tragoudia Stis 33' Strofes
- 1984: Antonis Kalogiannis – Mikra Erotika
- 1984: Kostas Virvos – Tesseris Dekaeties
- 1985: Kazantzidis – Mia Gyneka Efyge (Anekdota Tragoudia Stis 33' Strofes)
- 1985: Kazantzidis Gia Panta No. 1 (Historical recordings 1952 – 1963)
- 1985: Mikis Theodorakis & Manos Hadjidakis - Synavlies 1961 (Live)
- 1985: O Mikis Theodorakis Sto Kentrikon (Live)
- 1985: Ta Laika Tis Nichtas (Athens by night)
- 1985: Antonis Kalogiannis – Ke Pou les Eftichia
- 1985: Gia Ta Pedia
- 1986: Kazantzidis Gia Panta No. 2 (Historical recordings 1952 – 1963)
- 1986: Stelios Kazantzidis – Tora
- 1987: Takis Bougas – Ring
- 1987: Manolis Chiotis – To Deka To Kalo
- 1988: O Giannis Markopoulos Ston Elliniki Kinimatografo
- 1988: Giannis Parios – Pistos
- 1990: Ola mesa
- 1990: Klisis, Proklisis, Prosklisis
- 1990: Stelios Kazantzidis – Anekdota Tragoudia Stis 33' Strofes nο. 3
- 1993: San Palio Cinema
- 1995: En Plo (Ypourgio Emporikis Naftilias)
- 1996: Mpampis Mpakalis – Megales Epitichies
- 1996: Lefka Christougenna
- 1996: Stelios Kazantzidis – Tragoudia Apo Tis 45' Strofes
- 1997: Giorgos Zampetas – Tragoudia Apo Tis 45' Strofes
- 1997: Stelios Kazantzidis – Tragoudia Apo Tis 45' Strofes No. 2
- 2000: Kazantzidis – Tragoudia Apo Tis 45' Strofes no. 3
- 2002: O Stelios Kazantzidis Tragouda Manoli Chioti
- 2002: Mimis Plessas – Iobilaion (Live)
- 2004: Fos (The Official ATHENS 2004 Olympic Game Greek Album) 2004
- 2005: Antonis Remos – San Anemos
- 2006: Den Xero Poso S' Agapo – Tribute To Vicky Mosholiou (Live)
- 2006: Stelios Kazantzidis – Ta Kinimatografika
- 2006: 40 Chronia Dimitris Mitropanos
- 2008: Manos Hadjidakis – 100 Tragoudia (Recordings 1955 - 1972)
- 2008: Tha Pio Apopse To Feggari – Tribute To Lefteris Papadopoulos (Live)
- 2008: Mpampis Mpakalis – 40 Megales Epitihies
- 2008: Hroniko Tou Laikou Tragoudiou 1958
- 2010: Stelios Kazantzidis – Laiko Tragoudi (National Geographic)
- 2012: Natasa Theodoridou – Apenanti
- 2014: Giorgos Theofanous – Tragoudo To Nisi Mou (Live) – Cyprus release
- 1974: Ta Oraiotera Tragoudia Mou
- 1976: Portraita
- 1978: Ta Prota Mou Tragoudia
- 1980: Portraito
- 1982: 15 Chronia Marinella (2xLP)
- 1987: 14 Apo Ta Oraiotera Tragoudia Mou
- 1988: Marinella For Ever
- 1988: Mia Vradia Me Tin Marinella (1972 - 1973)
- 1988: Gia panta / Ta Erotika (2xLP)
- 1992: Marinella & Antonis Kalogiannis – Synesthimata
- 1993: Chryses Epitihies (2xLP)
- 1993: Stelios Kazantzidis & Marinella – I Megales Erminies
- 1993: Marinella & Tolis Voskopoulos – Oles I Megales Epitihies (2xLP)
- 1994: Ta Erotika (2xLP)
- 1995: Stelios Kazantzidis & Marinella – I Megales Epitihies
- 1996: I Marinella Tragouda Giorgo Zampeta & Aki Panou
- 1996: I Marinella Tragouda Mimi Plessa & Gianni Spano
- 1996: Ta 45aria Tis Marinellas
- 1996: I Megali Kyria Tou Ellinikou Tragoudiou
- 1996: Marinella & Kostas Hatzis – Synantisi Gia Recital
- 1997: Marinella & Kostas Hatzis – Recital Gia Dio (4xCD Boxset)
- 1997: Stelios Kazantzidis & Marinella – I Proti Agapi Sou Eime Ego
- 1997: Marinella & Tolis Voskopoulos – M' Emathes N' Agapo
- 1997: I Foni Ke O Mythos / 30 Chronia Tragoudi (4xCD Boxset)
- 1998: I Marinella Se Aprovleptes Erminies
- 1998: Ta Agapimena (Difono)
- 1999: Ta Tragoudia Mou (Diva)
- 2000: Ta Megala Tragoudia
- 2001: Marinella & Kostas Hatzis – Ta Tragoudia Tou Aiona
- 2001: Marinella / Delta Club (4xCD Boxset)
- 2001: I Megaliteres Epitihies
- 2002: Chrysa Tragoudia (2xCD Boxset)
- 2003: Marinella – Mia Agkalia Tragoudia (4xCD Boxset)
- 2005: Ego (The Very Best of EMI Years) 1957 – 1995 (2xCD)
- 2005: Marinella (The Universal Masters Collection)
- 2006: Kazantzidis & Marinella – Asteria Tou Ellinikou Tragoudiou
- 2006: Kazantzidis & Marinella – I Teleftaies Kines Ichografisis
- 2006: Sti Skini (2xCD)
- 2006: Ta Logia Eine Peritta / 50 Chronia Tragoudi 1956 - 2006(8xCD Boxset)
- 2007: Tragoudia Apo Ton Kinimatografo Ke To Theatro (LP)
- 2008: I Foni Ke O Mythos (4xCD)
- 2009: Ta Tragoudia Mias Zois (5xCD)
- ΙΙΙ F.I.C. Festival Internacional Da Canção 1968 Rio
- 2004 – Athens 2004 Olympic Games
Marinella in Greek Cinema
KYRIA DIMARHOS (Madame mayor)
"Gia 'mas pote min ximerosi", "Ziguala", "Allaxane ta pragmata"
KLAPSE, FTOHI MOU KARDIA (Weep, my poor heart)
"Fevgo me pikra sta xena"
PEXE, BOUZOUKI MOU GLYKO (Play, my sweet bouzouki)
"Fevgo me pikra sta xena"
AFISTE ME NA ZISO (Let me live)
"Emis mazi tha zisoume"
I ADISTAKTI (The unhesitant)
"Pios dromos eine anihtos"
"Mes stis agapis mas to tzaki", "Tora pou s' eho anagki"
"Na fygo, na fygo", "Prodomenes kardies"
I KATAFRONEMENI (The scorned)
"Orkizome stin antriki timi mou"
DEN MPOROUN NA MAS HORISOUN (They can't keep us apart)
"Me to voria"
I AGGELI TIS AMARTIAS (Angels of sin)
"Na fygo, na fygo"
HARTORIHTRA (The fortune teller)
"Dos' mou agapi", "Eime hartorihtra fina"
O PIO KALOS O MATHITIS (The best student)
"Stalia – stalia"
GORGONES KE MAGKES (Mermaids and tough guys)
"Anixe petra", "Anixe Petra (Mpate koritsia sto horo)"
"Asteri sto parathyro", "Dio aderfia"
O MPLOFATZIS (Τhe bluffer)
"Pios ein' aftos"
I PARIZIANA (The Parisienne)
"Dos' mou t' athanato nero", "Zografismena sto harti", "To megalo finale tis Parizianas"
ISAIA MI HOREVIS (No wedding dance)
"Pali tha klapso"
KRIMA TO MPOI SOU (What a waste)
"Krima to mpoi sou"
- Video of Marinella singing the song "Kyra Giorgena" at the TV show "Nana Mouskouri with the Athenians" on BBC, in 1971 on YouTube
- Video clip of the song "Krasi, thalassa ke t' agori mu" (Eurovision '74) 1974 on YouTube
- Video clip of the song "Na pezi to tranzistor" (Αlbum "I Marinella tou simera") 1978 on YouTube
- Video clip of the song "Vasanismeni Kyriaki" (Αlbum "Gia proti fora") 1997 on YouTube
- Marinella singing the song "Asteri sto parathyro (Star in the window)" (Film "Gymni sto dromo") in 1969 on YouTube
- Dragoumanos, Petros (2009). Elliniki Diskografia 1950–2009 (Greek Discography 1950–2009)
- Compilation album Marinella (Mia Agkalia Tragoudia) (Booklet), Minos EMI (Greece): 5807532, 2003
- Compilation album Ta Logia Ine Peritta – 50 Chronia Tragoudi (Booklet), Marinella, PolyGram Greece: 1715636, 2006
- Billboard – Rio Song Festival (October 24, 1970) by Henry Johnston
- Billboard – Greek Act at MIDEM (February 3, 1973) by Nigel Hunter & Philip Palmer
- Album "I Marinella Tragouda Kai Thimatai" (Booklet), BMG Greece – RCA: 66985559, 1998
- Album "Marinella – Me Varka To Tragoudi" (Booklet), BMG Greece – RCA: 72383, 1999
- Dalaras and Marinella make magic at Megaron (November 15, 2002) by Maria Paravantes
- "NEW YORK TIMES – Heartache And History in a Style of the Greeks (April 3, 2003)". Nytimes.com. April 10, 2003. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
- Compilation album Ta Kinimatografika Tou Kazantzidi (Booklet), EMI (Greece): 37936924, 2006
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – MADAME MAYOR 1960
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – WEEP, MY POOR HEART 1962
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – PLAY, MY SWEET BOUZOUKI 1965
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – LET ME LIVE 1965
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – UNHESITANT (THE) 1965
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – BETRAYED 1965
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – PUNISHMENT 1965
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – SCORNED (THE) 1965
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – THEY CAN’T KEEP US APART 1965
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – ANGELS OF SIN 1966
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – FORTUNE TELLER (THE) 1967
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – BEST STUDENT (THE) 1968
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – MERMAIDS AND TOUGH GUYS 1968
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – NAKED IN THE STREET 1969
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – BLUFFER (THE) 1969
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – PARISIENNE (THE) 1969
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – NO WEDDING DANCE 1969
- Greek Film Archive (Film Museum) – WHAT A WASTE! 1970
|Greece in the Eurovision Song Contest
with Panayia Mou, Panayia Mou
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.