Marcus Annius Verus was a Roman man who lived in the 1st and 2nd century. He was the son of an elder Marcus Annius Verus, who gained the rank of senator and praetor. His family originated from Uccibi (modern Espejo) near Corduba (modern Córdoba) in the Roman province of Hispania Baetica. The family came to prominence and became wealthy through olive oil production in Spain.
- Annia Galeria Faustina or Faustina the Elder, a future Roman Empress who married future Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius;
- Marcus Annius Libo, a future consul; and,
- Marcus Annius Verus, a praetor who married Domitia Lucilla and became father to future Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius and his sister Annia Cornificia Faustina.
After his son Marcus Annius Verus died in 124, the elder Verus adopted and raised Marcus Aurelius and his sister Annia Cornificia Faustina. Marcus Annius Verus died in 138, nearly aged ninety. In his elder years, he had a mistress. Marcus Aurelius says in his "Meditations": "From my grandfather Verus, a kindly disposition and sweetness of temper."
Nerva–Antonine family tree
- (1) = 1st spouse
- (2) = 2nd spouse (not shown)
- (3) = 3rd spouse
- Darker purple indicates Emperor of the Nerva-Antonine dynasty; lighter purple indicates designated imperial heir of said dynasty who never reigned
- dashed lines indicate adoption; dotted lines indicate love affairs/unmarried relationships
- small caps = posthumously deified (Augusti, Augustae, or other)
Lucius Catilius Severus Iulianus Claudius Reginus and Antoninus Pius
|Consul of the Roman Empire with Cnaeus Arrius Augur
Marcus Acilius Aviola and Lucius Corellius Neratius Pansa
Marcus Lollius Paulinus Decimus Valerius Asiaticus Saturninus and Lucius Epidius Titius Aquilinus
|Consul of the Roman Empire with Gaius Eggius Ambibulus
Titus Atilius Rufus Titianus and Marcus Gavius Squilla Gallicanus
||This article includes inline citations, but they are not properly formatted. (August 2013)|
- Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, i. 1
- Marcus Aurelius on Roman Empire.net
- Historia Augusta on Marcus Aurelius
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius