MC Serch (born Michael Berrin; May 6, 1967) is an American hip hop MC and former member of 3rd Bass.
Serch grew up in Far Rockaway, Queens, attending Far Rockaway High School, and graduated from Music & Art High School. He is of Jewish descent. He is credited with creating the slang term "the Gas Face."
After recording three albums with 3rd Bass—The Cactus Album (1989), The Cactus Revisited (1990), and Derelicts of Dialect (1991)—Serch launched a solo career with Return of the Product (1992, Def Jam). The album featured two hit singles: "Here It Comes" (which hit #1 on Billboard's Hot Rap Tracks chart); and "Back to the Grill" featuring Chubb Rock, Red Hot Lover Tone, and Nas. Serch was the executive producer of Nas’ Illmatic, one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the 1990s. He also helped to cultivate the rapper O.C. after hearing him on the Organized Konfusion song "Fudge Pudge," helping him secure a record contract with Wild Pitch Records. In 1995, Serch also mentored the newly formed Non Phixion.
Since retiring from performing, Serch has run a promotions company (Serchlite Music). He appeared in Spike Lee's Bamboozled (2000) as a member of the fictitious hip-hop group Mau Maus (played by other real-life hip-hop performers such as Mos Def, Charli Baltimore and Canibus). His character was a white revolutionary who was supposed to be "1/16 black". From 2003 he hosted Serch In The AM on Detroit Urban Radio Station FM 98 WJLB; he was the first Jewish DJ at that station. MC Serch was dismissed from WJLB in March 2006, reportedly due to a dispute over a Super Bowl weekend party at the club "Motor City Live." Serch also hosted the VH1 reality series Ego Trip's The (White) Rapper Show, known for his catch phrase: "Woop-WOOP!", which ended in March 2007. A follow-up show, ego trip's Miss Rap Supreme, debuted in 2008.
Serch has since returned to the radio airwaves in Detroit on the urban station Hot 102.7. Serch has also worked with Hot 102.7's youngest intern (The Black Intern) Daniel Berry, and Rucka Rucka Ali (Comedy Music Artist). Serch appeared in some of Rucka Rucka Ali's music videos, and The Black Intern, Rucka Rucka Ali and Serch worked together on Hot 102.7.
with 3rd Bass
- DJ Tomekk - "Fuck You"
- Gravediggaz - "Defective Trip" (w/Biz Markie)
- Kaptain Nemo - The Legend of Kaptain Nemo - Official Mixtape - "For the Love of Hip-Hop" (w/PJ Sumroc)
- Hot Karl - "Let's Talk"
- Krohme - "Around Here"
- Non Phixion - "5 Boros" (w/D.V. Alias Khrist)
- Sway & King Tech - "Wake Up Show Anthem" (w/Nas, Ras Kass, Saafir & others)
- "2 Hits & Pass" (w/Afu-Ra, Agallah, Craig G, Buckshot, and others)
- "Blak Is Blak" (As "1/16th Blak" w/Mos Def, Canibus, Charli Baltimore, Mums, DJ Scratch, and Gano Grills)
- Kurious - "Benneton" (w/ MF DOOM) (2009, Amalgam Digital)
- Rucka Rucka Ali - "I Can Do Whatever Im White"
- ^ Jackson, Brian Keith. "Ice, Ice Babies: Reality-TV show tries to create the next Eminem.", New York (magazine), December 31, 2006. Accessed November 23, 2007. "I grew up in Far Rockaway, and you’d always see shoes on the line."
- ^ Schwach, Howard. "Rockaway Rapper Hosts MTV's 'The White Rapper Show' ", Wave of Long Island, January 26, 2007
- ^ "Interfaith Celebrities: Of Hip Hop, Heroes and the Oscars". interfaithfamily.com. Retrieved 2013-04-24. "Berrin, who is Jewish, worked until recently for a very popular Detroit radio station that mostly plays hip hop music and whose listening audience is mostly black. ... As reported in a January 25 issue of the Detroit Jewish News, Berrin, 39, and his wife, Chantel, are members of Congregation Sharrey Zedek, a large Conservative synagogue in suburban Detroit. In a 1993 profile in the News, Chantel, a convert to Judaism--talked about her conversion and Michael talked about race and religion."
- ^ http://www.ohhla.com/anonymous/misc/hip-hop/blak_iz.mau.txt
- ^ Graham, Adam (2007-01-08). "The Serch for the next white rap star.". The Detroit News. Retrieved 2007-01-24.
Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:43:09 -0700
MC Serch Always Knew Nas' 'Illmatic' Was The Greatest Album Of All Time. Apr 14th, '14 • News • by Dan Rys • No Comments. 1 of 11. XXLxNW-marq-v1.4-mc-serchEDIT. For anyone with even a passing knowledge of hip-hop, Nas' debut album ...
Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:22:50 -0700
nas illmatic. The 20th anniversary of Nas' Illmatic is right around the corner and it has executive producer, MC Serch, and former Columbia Records A&R, Faith Newman, reminiscing on the bootlegging issue they had when the iconic album was first released.
Tue, 01 Apr 2014 14:24:32 -0700
The test run for MC Serch's show also won't move forward, as CBS Television Distribution and NBCUniversal make cuts from the next season in syndication. The two lowest-rated syndicated talk shows of the 2013-2014 season, The Test and Tricia, are ...
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 09:32:11 -0700
It also includes a clip from MC Serch's "Back to the Grill," which is just about the best time capsule of 1992 ever. (Sample lyric: "And George Bush gets enough props.") In honor of "Time Is Illmatic," the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival and Throwback ...
TV Series Finale
Wed, 02 Apr 2014 14:56:26 -0700
In addition, MC Serch's test series Serch won't be moving forward. NBCUniversal has confirmed that Trisha, which stars British talk show host Trisha Goddard, is being cancelled after two seasons. In a statement, the studio said, “Trisha is a great ...
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:48:45 -0700
New York, NY – Searchers from more than two dozen countries have descended on the Indian Ocean in an effort to find that missing Malaysian Airlines jet and, despite all that manpower and technology, have come up empty. Now, though, an unutilized tool ...
Yahoo Music (blog)
Yahoo Music (blog)
Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:30:00 -0700
With his pick of A-list producers DJ Premiere, Large Professor, L.E.S., Pete Rock, and Q-Tip, and MC Serch as the executive producer, Nas recorded the nine-song album that includes a number of classic tracks, "Halftime," "One Love," "It Ain't Hard to ...
New York Daily News
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 09:19:53 -0700
Guests as well as many New York hip-hop heavy hitters filled the theater to celebrate the opening of 'Time Is Illmatic.' Producers and contributors to the album — Pete Rock, AZ and MC Serch to name a few — came out to show their support, creating a ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about MC Serch with people all over the world in our discussions.