The following is a list of suicide rates by country according to data from the World Health Organization, in which a country's rank is determined by its total rate deaths officially recorded as suicides in the most recent available year, last updated in 2011. The WHO statistics are based on the official reports from each respective country, and therefore, no more accurate than the record-keeping in the specific country.
Incidence of suicide tends to be under-reported due to both religious and social pressures, and possibly completely unreported in some areas. Since the data might be skewed, comparing suicide rates between nations is statistically unsound. For example, attempted suicide is illegal in Nepal and people who attempt suicide when caught are subject to imprisonment, fines or both; therefore, any suicide figures for Nepal will underestimate the incidence. Male and female suicide rates are out of total male population and total female population, respectively (i.e. total number of male suicides divided by total male population). The total rate of suicides is based on the total number of suicides divided by the total population, rather than merely the average of the male and female suicide rates, because the gender ratio in most countries is not 1:1. According to the table below you will see that in most if not all, countries listed below, that males have a higher suicide rate than females.
List by the World Health Organization (2012)
List by other sources (1985–2015)
Countries Not Listed
- ^ Recently released figures by official Belgian authorities suggest a considerably higher rate of 17.0 persons (total) per 100,000 people per annum in 2009 (5,712 cases in a population of 10,749,000 (=10,666,866 as of 1 January 2008 increasing by 0,77% per annum.) as of 1 January 2009)."Toenemend aantal zelfdodingen in Belgie". 2011.
- ^ The number of death in Belgium in 2008 due to suicide "zichzelf schade toebrengen" was reported at 2000 out of a total of 103.760 death. These death comprise 1453 men and 547 women. This puts the suicide rate at about 19 per 100.000. See statbel: http://statbel.fgov.be/nl/binaries/NL%20-%20Tableau%201%2E3_T_2008_tcm325-168456.pdf
- The updated figure of suicide rates in Belgium for 2011 is 2,084 on a total population of 10,933,607, equivalent to 18.96 per 100,000 inhabitants (source: Het Nieuwsblad, 10 April 2014).
- ^ "Suicide prevention in Nepal: a comparison to Australia—a personal view". US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- ^ "Suicide rates Data by country". World Health Organization. 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- ^ Unless otherwise stated all statistics are from WHO: "Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)". World Health Organization. 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- ^ "The Suicide Capital of the World". Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- ^ "Rising suicide rate baffles Greenland". Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- ^ "Statistics Greenland".
- ^ "Savižudybių statistika;". Valstybinis psichikos sveikatos centras. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- ^ "지난해 한국 자살률 소폭 감소...여전히 OECD 1위". News 1. 2014. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- ^ a b Värnik, P. (2012). "Suicide in the World". International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 9 (12): 760–71. doi:10.3390/ijerph9030760. PMC 3367275. PMID 22690161.
- ^ Unless otherwise stated all statistics are from WHO: "Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)". Statistični urad Republike Slovenije. 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- ^ "Sri Lanka Journal of Psychiatry Vol 3(2) December 2012".
- ^ "KSH Stadat database, causes of death (1949-2013)". Hungarian Central Statistical Office (KSH). Retrieved 2014-10-31.
- ^ "平成 26 年中における自殺の状況" [2014 Situation of Suicide] (PDF). National Police Agency. 2014. p. 4.
- ^ "National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus (for 2012);" (PDF). Belstat. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- ^ "The Demographic situation;" (PDF). National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus. 2012. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- ^ Хаустова О. О. Самогубства та побутова смертність в Україні: підсумки 2012 року // Український вісник психоневрології. — 2013. — В. 4 (77). — Т. 21. — С. 12-18.
- ^ http://www.spkc.gov.lv/file_download/2097/2_Mirstiba_2013.pdf
- ^ "Rosstat". Rosstat. 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- ^ "Report of Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia". Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- ^ Eurostat
- ^ a b c d e f g "Death Due To Suicide". Eurostat. European Commission. 2009. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- ^ http://www.lr21.com.uy/comunidad/1117598-grave-preocupacion-por-tasa-en-alza-de-165-suicidios-cada-100-000-habitantes.
- ^ http://hzjz.hr/sluzbe/sluzba-za-epidemiologiju/odjel-za-nadzor-i-istrazivanje-ne-zaraznih-bolesti/odsjek-za-mentalne-poremecaje-s-registrom-za-psihoze-i-registrom-izvrsenih-samoubojstava
- ^ "Causes of death 2013, Statistics Finland" (PDF). 2014-12-30.
- ^ "World Suicide Death Rate Rankings (WHO)" (PDF). 2011-12-16.
- ^ This data is for urban areas only. Burrows, Stephanie; Lucie Laflamme (February 2006). "Suicide Mortality in South Africa". Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. http://www.springerlink.com/content/px7v1186u51k738w The data available for the whole of South Africa in 2007 are: men 1.4, women 0.4, total 0.9 (source: WHO)
- ^ "Causes of death, Department of Health, Taiwan" (XLS). Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- ^ a b http://www.stat.ee/57205
- ^ SRNA (2012-04-16). "BiH: Prošle godine ubilo se 507 lica, od čega 16 maloletnika". SRNA. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- ^ https://www.afsp.org/understanding-suicide/facts-and-figures
- ^ https://www.destatis.de/DE/Publikationen/Thematisch/Gesundheit/Todesursachen/Todesursachen2120400137004.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
- ^ "2014 14 APSS Info Graphic". www.documentcloud.org. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- ^ "NZ suicide rates rise for first time in four years". New Zealand Herald. 2015-10-06. ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- ^ Statistics. Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention. 2013.
- ^ (PDF) http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/Lists/Artikelkatalog/Attachments/19175/2013-8-6.pdf.
- ^ "UK suicide rate rises 'significantly' in 2011". BBC News. 22 January 2013.
- ^ "Suicides and suicide rate, by sex and by age group, Canada".
- ^ "Center for Selvmordsforskning, statistikbank".
- ^ "36 died from own hand". Hagstofa Íslands/Statistical Bureau of Iceland. Morgunblaðið. 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- ^ http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/fr/index/themen/21/02/ind32.indicator.70301.3201.html?open=702,703&close=703
- ^ Central Statistics Office. "Vital Statistics - Fourth Quarter and Yearly Summary - 2013" (PDF).
- ^ Samaritians of Singapore. "Suicide Statistics in Singapore" (PDF).
- ^ Overview of suicide in Australia. Mindframe. 2013.
- ^ "Back from the edge". June 28, 2014.
- ^ http://www.spsuicidologia.pt/sobre-o-suicidio/estatistica
- ^ "Suicides and suicide rate, by sex and by age group, Spain". June 27, 2015.
- ^ "Suicide Rates: Thailand".
- ^ "Adobe Acrobat - loss_2011.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- ^ "Iranian Legal Medicine Organization". 2013. www.lmo.ir
- ^ "Tehran has the highest rate of suicide in Iran.". 2013. Bahar Newspaper
- ^ "TÜİK İntihar İstatistikleri". http://www.tuik.gov.tr.
- ^ "WHO | Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)". Who.int. 2009-12-07. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- ^ "Mortalidad y otros (Mortality and others)" (PDF). IUDPAS. 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- ^ http://gulfnews.com/news/world/philippines/suicide-rate-has-steadily-risen-in-philippines-for-21-years-report-1.1049675
- ^ Based on a population of 180.4 million in 2012 (Population Reference Bureau), a sex ratio of 1.06 males/female (CIA World Factbook, 2013) and figures from 'State of Human Rights in 2012' by the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan: 1,976 persons committed suicide in 2012 across the country of which 626 were women.
- ^ http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/jord.pdf
Thu, 06 Aug 2015 12:09:52 -0700
Bryan Thaboua kneels with his 8-month-old son Cooper Thaboua on Monday, July 20, 2015, in front of the Lee Highway memorial for last Thursday's Chattanooga, Tenn., shooting victims. Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez attacked two military facilities on ...
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:33:15 -0700
Worldwide surveys have consistently ranked the Scandinavian countries — with their generous family-leave policies, low crime, free health care, rich economies and, yes, high income taxes — as the happiest places on earth. But this happiness has ...
Casper Star-Tribune Online
Casper Star-Tribune Online
Sun, 26 May 2013 09:04:30 -0700
The state was No. 1 in the nation in 2012, and behavioral health officials in the state are startled at the high rate of people taking their lives this year. “It's been alarmingly high,” said Terresa Humphries-Wadsworth, the state suicide-prevention ...
Sat, 13 Sep 2014 08:03:18 -0700
Tags. Social Issues, Montana, Brandon Jackson, Trista Jackson, American Foundation For Suicide Prevention, Billings, Ayden, Steve Bullock, List Of Countries By Suicide Rate · View (9) Comments ...
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 07:01:06 -0800
Every suicide in Montana after Jan. 1 will be studied as the state's new Suicide Review Team begins to examine the reasons behind the public health crisis that has plagued the state for decades. The seven-member team, appointed last year by Gov.
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:27:42 -0800
A diverse panel of six Montanans has been named to study the cause of the state's suicide epidemic, which mental health professionals have deemed a public health crisis. For the next three years, the panel of professionals, which includes a pastor, ...
Casper Star-Tribune Online
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 07:06:19 -0800
Wyoming had the nation's highest suicide rate in 2012, according to Terresa Humphries-Wadsworth, a state suicide prevention coordinator. For years, the state's ranking has remained in the top five per capita. Prevention specialists and suicide experts ...
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 06:08:23 -0800
Editor's note: Fabrizio Tassinari is head of Foreign Policy Studies at the Danish Institute for International Studies and non-resident senior fellow at the German Marshall Fund of the United States. His next book is 'Polaris: How to Advance when the ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.