||This article's factual accuracy is disputed. (December 2011)
The following is a list of suicide rates by country according to data from the World Health Organization, in which a country's rank is determined by its total rate deaths officially recorded as suicides in the most recent available year, last updated in 2011. The WHO statistics are based on the official reports from each respective country, and therefore, no more accurate than the record-keeping in the specific country.
Incidence of suicide tends to be under-reported due to both religious and social pressures, and possibly completely unreported in some areas. Since the data might be skewed, comparing suicide rates between nations is statistically unsound. For example attempted suicide is illegal in Nepal and people who attempt suicide when caught are subject to imprisonment, fines or both; therefore, any suicide figures for Nepal will underestimate the incidence.
Male and female suicide rates are out of total male population and total female population, respectively (i.e. total number of male suicides divided by total male population). The total rate of suicides is based on the total number of suicides divided by the total population, rather than merely the average of the male and female suicide rates, because the gender ratio in most countries is not 1:1. Year refers to the most recent year that data was available for a particular country.
- ^ Recently released figures by official Belgian authorities suggest a considerably higher rate of 17.0 persons (total) per 100,000 people per annum in 2009 (5,712 cases in a population of 10,749,000 (=10,666,866 as of 1 January 2008 increasing by 0,77% per annum.) as of 1 January 2009)."Toenemend aantal zelfdodingen in Belgie". 2011.
- ^ The number of death in Belgium in 2008 due to suicide "zichzelf schade toebrengen" was reported at 2000 out of a total of 103.760 death. These death comprise 1453 men and 547 women. This puts the suicide rate at about 19 per 100.000. See statbel: http://statbel.fgov.be/nl/binaries/NL%20-%20Tableau%201%2E3_T_2008_tcm325-168456.pdf
- The updated figure of suicide rates in Belgium for 2011 is 2,084 on a total population of 10,933,607, equivalent to 18.96 per 100,000 inhabitants (source: Het Nieuwsblad, 10 April 2014).
- ^ "Suicide prevention in Nepal: a comparison to Australia—a personal view". US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- ^ Unless otherwise stated all statistics are from WHO: "Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)". World Health Organization. 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- ^ "Savižudybių statistika;". Valstybinis psichikos sveikatos centras. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- ^ "Causes of Death Statistics in 2012" (PDF). Statistics Korea. 2012. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- ^ a b Värnik, P. (2012). "Suicide in the World". International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 9 (12): 760. doi:10.3390/ijerph9030760.
- ^ Unless otherwise stated all statistics are from WHO: "Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)". Statistični urad Republike Slovenije. 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i "Death Due To Suicide". Eurostat. European Commission. 2009. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- ^ "JapanToday; LEAD: No. of suicides in 2013 falls below 30,000 for 2nd straight year: white paper". JapanToday. 2014-06-04. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- ^ "Sri Lanka Journal of Psychiatry Vol 3(2) December 2012".
- ^ a b c http://www.stat.ee/57205
- ^ "National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus (for 2012);". Belstat. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- ^ "The Demographic situation;". National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus. 2012. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- ^ Хаустова О. О. Самогубства та побутова смертність в Україні: підсумки 2012 року // Український вісник психоневрології. — 2013. — В. 4 (77). — Т. 21. — С. 12-18.
- ^ Hrvatski zavod za zdravstvo. "MENTALNE BOLESTI I POREME ĆAJI U REPUBLICI HRVATSKOJ". Statistika HZZJ. Zagreb. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- ^ "Rosstat". Rosstat. 2014-01-30. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- ^ "Report of Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia". Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- ^ Eurostat
- ^ http://www.lr21.com.uy/comunidad/1117598-grave-preocupacion-por-tasa-en-alza-de-165-suicidios-cada-100-000-habitantes.
- ^ "World Suicide Death Rate Rankings (WHO)" (PDF). 2011-12-16.
- ^ "Causes of death 2012, Statistics Finland". 2013-12-30.
- ^ This data is for urban areas only. Burrows, Stephanie; Lucie Laflamme (February 2006). "Suicide Mortality in South Africa". Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. http://www.springerlink.com/content/px7v1186u51k738w The data available for the whole of South Africa in 2007 are: men 1.4, women 0.4, total 0.9 (source: WHO)
- ^ "Causes of death, Department of Health, Taiwan" (XLS). Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- ^ SRNA (2012-04-16). "BiH: Prošle godine ubilo se 507 lica, od čega 16 maloletnika". SRNA. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- ^ Statistics. Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention. 2013.
- ^ http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/Lists/Artikelkatalog/Attachments/19175/2013-8-6.pdf.
- ^ http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6128a8.htm.
- ^ "UK suicide rate rises 'significantly' in 2011". BBC News. 22 January 2013.
- ^ "Suicide Facts: Deaths and intentional self-harm hospitalisations 2010" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- ^ "Crise aumenta número de suicídios em Portugal" (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- ^ "Suicides and suicide rate, by sex and by age group, Canada".
- ^ "Center for Selvmordsforskning, statistikbank".
- ^ "36 died from own hand". Hagstofa Íslands/Statistical Bureau of Iceland. Morgunblaðið. 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- ^ Central Statistics Office. "Vital Statistics - Fourth Quarter and Yearly Summary - 2013".
- ^ Samaritians of Singapore. "Suicide Statistics in Singapore".
- ^ Overview of suicide in Australia. Mindframe. 2013.
- ^ 中国自杀率下降趋势的社会学分析
- ^ [ http://www.economist.com/node/21605942/ A dramatic decline in suicides: Back from the edge]
- ^ "Suicides and suicide rate, by sex and by age group, Spain".
- ^ "Suicide Rates: Thailand".
- ^ "Adobe Acrobat - loss_2011.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- ^ "Iranian Legal Medicine Organization". 2013. www.lmo.ir
- ^ "Tehran has the highest rate of suicide in Iran.". 2013. Bahar Newspaper
- ^ "WHO | Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)". Who.int. 2009-12-07. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- ^ "Mortalidad y otros (Mortality and others)". IUDPAS. 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- ^ "TÜİK İntihar İstatistikleri". http://www.tuik.gov.tr.
- ^ http://gulfnews.com/news/world/philippines/suicide-rate-has-steadily-risen-in-philippines-for-21-years-report-1.1049675
- ^ Based on a population of 180.4 million in 2012 (Population Reference Bureau), a sex ratio of 1.06 males/female (CIA World Factbook, 2013) and figures from 'State of Human Rights in 2012' by the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan: 1,976 persons committed suicide in 2012 across the country of which 626 were women.
List of countries by suicide rate
This is a synthesized speech reading of the Wikipedia article "List of countries by suicide rate" and is intended primarily for blind and visually impaired i...
Happiest Countries Have the Highest Suicide Rates...Why?
We look at the list of happiest countries, ask whether money buys happiness, and wonder why many of the happiest countries also have the highest suicide ra...
10 Most Suicidal Countries
10 Most Suicidal Countries Presenting the 10 countries with the highest suicide rates in the world. Music = The Abyss Terry Devine-King, Alicia Anderson, Nik...
Top 10 Countries With Highest Suicide Rate
In this video, you will watch the Top 10 Countries With Highest Suicide Rate http://youtube.com/user/zestather Leave your comments below. Top 10 Countries Wi...
Bullying and Suicide Documentary
The only way to dispel the ignorance and decrease the number of bullying and suicide cases, is to educate people on how and why this happens. Institutions ne...
ONISION'S DUMBFLUCK GUN CONTROL FACTS Part One
This is a reupload, permitted under Fair Use. I am not the original DSSCTM. Published on Apr 23, 2013 This is a video response to Onision's "GUN CONTROL FACT...
World suicide map: highest suicide rate in the world is Guyana
This map of 2012 shows the suicide rate per 100000. The highest suicide rate in the world was in Guyana. North Korea and South Korea had the second and thir...
State of the Union
Our country is full of mismatched problems and solutions. Examples:: Food Suprlus/World Hunger Defense Spending/Military Suicide Adoption/Abortion Jobs/Educa...
Fact or Myth: Suicidal Rates Rise during Christmas Season | DZRH
Anchor: Joe Taruc and Cesar Chavez Reporter: Michael Joe T. Delizo Aired: December 03, 2012 The suicidal rate around the world continues to rise. According t...
Greeks in Despair: Suicide rate record high
Athens has clinched a critical bond-swap deal with private creditors allowing Greece to narrowly escape default, opening the door for a bailout injection. Eu...
We're sorry, but there's no news about "List of countries by suicide rate" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter