The following is a list of suicide rates by country according to data from the World Health Organization, in which a country's rank is determined by its total rate deaths officially recorded as suicides in the most recent available year, last updated in 2011. The WHO statistics are based on the official reports from each respective country, and therefore, no more accurate than the record-keeping in the specific country.
Incidence of suicide tends to be under-reported due to both religious and social pressures, and possibly completely unreported in some areas. Since the data might be skewed, comparing suicide rates between nations is statistically unsound. For example attempted suicide is illegal in Nepal and people who attempt suicide when caught are subject to imprisonment, fines or both; therefore, any suicide figures for Nepal will underestimate the incidence.
Male and female suicide rates are out of total male population and total female population, respectively (i.e. total number of male suicides divided by total male population). The total rate of suicides is based on the total number of suicides divided by the total population, rather than merely the average of the male and female suicide rates, because the gender ratio in most countries is not 1:1. Year refers to the most recent year that data was available for a particular country.
- ^ Recently released figures by official Belgian authorities suggest a considerably higher rate of 17.0 persons (total) per 100,000 people per annum in 2009 (5,712 cases in a population of 10,749,000 (=10,666,866 as of 1 January 2008 increasing by 0,77% per annum.) as of 1 January 2009)."Toenemend aantal zelfdodingen in Belgie". 2011.
- ^ The number of death in Belgium in 2008 due to suicide "zichzelf schade toebrengen" was reported at 2000 out of a total of 103.760 death. These death comprise 1453 men and 547 women. This puts the suicide rate at about 19 per 100.000. See statbel: http://statbel.fgov.be/nl/binaries/NL%20-%20Tableau%201%2E3_T_2008_tcm325-168456.pdf
- The updated figure of suicide rates in Belgium for 2011 is 2,084 on a total population of 10,933,607, equivalent to 18.96 per 100,000 inhabitants (source: Het Nieuwsblad, 10 April 2014).
- ^ "Suicide prevention in Nepal: a comparison to Australia—a personal view". US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- ^ Unless otherwise stated all statistics are from WHO: "Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)". World Health Organization. 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- ^ "The Suicide Capital of the World". Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- ^ "Rising suicide rate baffles Greenland". Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- ^ "Statistics Greenland".
- ^ "Savižudybių statistika;". Valstybinis psichikos sveikatos centras. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- ^ "Causes of Death Statistics in 2013". Statistics Korea. 2013. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- ^ a b Värnik, P. (2012). "Suicide in the World". International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 9 (12): 760–71. doi:10.3390/ijerph9030760. PMC 3367275. PMID 22690161.
- ^ Unless otherwise stated all statistics are from WHO: "Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)". Statistični urad Republike Slovenije. 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-26.
- ^ "平成25年人口動態統計月報年計(概数)の概況" [2013 Population Survey Report]. Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. 2014. p. 11.
- ^ a b c d e f g "Death Due To Suicide". Eurostat. European Commission. 2009. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- ^ "KSH Stadat database, causes of death (1949-2013)". Hungarian Central Statistical Office (KSH). Retrieved 2014-10-31.
- ^ a b c http://www.stat.ee/57205
- ^ "National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus (for 2012);". Belstat. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- ^ "The Demographic situation;". National Statistical Committee of the Republic of Belarus. 2012. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- ^ Хаустова О. О. Самогубства та побутова смертність в Україні: підсумки 2012 року // Український вісник психоневрології. — 2013. — В. 4 (77). — Т. 21. — С. 12-18.
- ^ Hrvatski zavod za zdravstvo. "MENTALNE BOLESTI I POREME ĆAJI U REPUBLICI HRVATSKOJ". Statistika HZZJ. Zagreb. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- ^ "Rosstat". Rosstat. 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-02-02.
- ^ "Sri Lanka Journal of Psychiatry Vol 3(2) December 2012".
- ^ Eurostat
- ^ http://www.lr21.com.uy/comunidad/1117598-grave-preocupacion-por-tasa-en-alza-de-165-suicidios-cada-100-000-habitantes.
- ^ "World Suicide Death Rate Rankings (WHO)" (PDF). 2011-12-16.
- ^ "Causes of death 2012, Statistics Finland". 2013-12-30.
- ^ This data is for urban areas only. Burrows, Stephanie; Lucie Laflamme (February 2006). "Suicide Mortality in South Africa". Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. http://www.springerlink.com/content/px7v1186u51k738w The data available for the whole of South Africa in 2007 are: men 1.4, women 0.4, total 0.9 (source: WHO)
- ^ "Causes of death, Department of Health, Taiwan" (XLS). Retrieved 2013-05-20.
- ^ SRNA (2012-04-16). "BiH: Prošle godine ubilo se 507 lica, od čega 16 maloletnika". SRNA. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- ^ https://www.afsp.org/understanding-suicide/facts-and-figures
- ^ Statistics. Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention. 2013.
- ^ https://www.destatis.de/DE/Publikationen/Thematisch/Gesundheit/Todesursachen/Todesursachen2120400127004.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
- ^ http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/Lists/Artikelkatalog/Attachments/19175/2013-8-6.pdf.
- ^ "UK suicide rate rises 'significantly' in 2011". BBC News. 22 January 2013.
- ^ "Suicide Facts: Deaths and intentional self-harm hospitalisations 2010" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- ^ "Suicides and suicide rate, by sex and by age group, Canada".
- ^ "Center for Selvmordsforskning, statistikbank".
- ^ "36 died from own hand". Hagstofa Íslands/Statistical Bureau of Iceland. Morgunblaðið. 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- ^ http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/fr/index/themen/21/02/ind32.indicator.70301.3201.html?open=702,703&close=703
- ^ Central Statistics Office. "Vital Statistics - Fourth Quarter and Yearly Summary - 2013".
- ^ Samaritians of Singapore. "Suicide Statistics in Singapore".
- ^ Overview of suicide in Australia. Mindframe. 2013.
- ^ "Report of Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia". Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- ^ http://www.spsuicidologia.pt/sobre-o-suicidio/estatistica
- ^ 中国自杀率下降趋势的社会学分析
- ^ [ http://www.economist.com/node/21605942/ A dramatic decline in suicides: Back from the edge]
- ^ "Suicides and suicide rate, by sex and by age group, Spain".
- ^ "Suicide Rates: Thailand".
- ^ "Adobe Acrobat - loss_2011.pdf" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- ^ "Iranian Legal Medicine Organization". 2013. www.lmo.ir
- ^ "Tehran has the highest rate of suicide in Iran.". 2013. Bahar Newspaper
- ^ "TÜİK İntihar İstatistikleri". http://www.tuik.gov.tr.
- ^ "WHO | Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)". Who.int. 2009-12-07. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- ^ "Mortalidad y otros (Mortality and others)". IUDPAS. 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2013-01-22.
- ^ http://gulfnews.com/news/world/philippines/suicide-rate-has-steadily-risen-in-philippines-for-21-years-report-1.1049675
- ^ Based on a population of 180.4 million in 2012 (Population Reference Bureau), a sex ratio of 1.06 males/female (CIA World Factbook, 2013) and figures from 'State of Human Rights in 2012' by the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan: 1,976 persons committed suicide in 2012 across the country of which 626 were women.
- ^ http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/jord.pdf
List of countries by suicide rate
This is a synthesized speech reading of the Wikipedia article "List of countries by suicide rate" and is intended primarily for blind and visually impaired i...
Happiest Countries Have the Highest Suicide Rates...Why?
We look at the list of happiest countries, ask whether money buys happiness, and wonder why many of the happiest countries also have the highest suicide ra...
10 Most Suicidal Countries
10 Most Suicidal Countries Presenting the 10 countries with the highest suicide rates in the world. Music = The Abyss Terry Devine-King, Alicia Anderson, Nik...
Bullying and Suicide Documentary
The only way to dispel the ignorance and decrease the number of bullying and suicide cases, is to educate people on how and why this happens. Institutions ne...
Common Mythconceptions About Suicide
Common Mythconceptions About Suicide One of the common misconceptions about suicide on this list was found on over 76% of online articles. Here are some comm...
Greeks in Despair: Suicide rate record high
Athens has clinched a critical bond-swap deal with private creditors allowing Greece to narrowly escape default, opening the door for a bailout injection. Eu...
ONISION'S DUMBFLUCK GUN CONTROL FACTS Part One
This is a reupload, permitted under Fair Use. I am not the original DSSCTM. Published on Apr 23, 2013 This is a video response to Onision's "GUN CONTROL FACT...
Anh ngữ đặc biệt: WHO Suicide Report (VOA)
Học tiếng Anh hiệu quả, nhanh chóng: http://www.facebook.com/HocTiengAnhVOA, http://www.voatiengviet.com/section/hoc-tieng-anh/2693.html. Nếu không vào được ...
Fact or Myth: Suicidal Rates Rise during Christmas Season | DZRH
Anchor: Joe Taruc and Cesar Chavez Reporter: Michael Joe T. Delizo Aired: December 03, 2012 The suicidal rate around the world continues to rise. According t...
PSA - Suicide (you can help prevent it) 2013 - 2014
Teen Suicide rates are rising in the U.S and you can help stop it. List of FACTS ABOUT SUICIDE: 1. Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30000 Americans every y...
Thu, 08 Jan 2015 17:49:59 -0800
Midland ISD counselors joined other interested community members at a mental wellness conference Thursday featuring Maureen Underwood of the Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide. The conference at Midland Shared Spaces with teachers, ...
Sat, 13 Sep 2014 08:03:18 -0700
Tags. Social Issues, Montana, Brandon Jackson, Trista Jackson, American Foundation For Suicide Prevention, Billings, Ayden, Steve Bullock, List Of Countries By Suicide Rate · View (9) Comments ...
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:33:15 -0700
Worldwide surveys have consistently ranked the Scandinavian countries — with their generous family-leave policies, low crime, free health care, rich economies and, yes, high income taxes — as the happiest places on earth. But this happiness has ...
Casper Star-Tribune Online
Sun, 26 May 2013 09:04:30 -0700
The state was No. 1 in the nation in 2012, and behavioral health officials in the state are startled at the high rate of people taking their lives this year. “It's been alarmingly high,” said Terresa Humphries-Wadsworth, the state suicide-prevention ...
Casper Star-Tribune Online
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 07:06:19 -0800
Wyoming had the nation's highest suicide rate in 2012, according to Terresa Humphries-Wadsworth, a state suicide prevention coordinator. For years, the state's ranking has remained in the top five per capita. Prevention specialists and suicide experts ...
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 07:01:06 -0800
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Tags. Suicide, Social Issues, Montana, Governor, Richard Mckeon, Steve Bullock, List Of Countries By Suicide Rate, Death, Suicide Prevention · View (1 ...
The Capital Journal
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:32:32 -0800
Area residents concerned that suicide is on the rise may be on to something – South Dakota's statewide suicide rate for the period from 2007 through 2011 is up from similar periods in recent years, a state statistician's look at the past 20 years of ...
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 04:40:26 -0700
China has one of the highest suicide rates in the world, placing ninth in World Health Organisation's list of countries by suicide rate. With 22.23 suicides per 100,000 people reported in 2010, China has a lower percentage than Latvia, Kazhakstan and ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.