The following is a list of colleges and universities in Houston, located within the city limits.
Public universities 
Four separate and distinct state universities are located in Houston.
The University of Houston is the flagship institution of the University of Houston System. The University of Houston–Clear Lake and the University of Houston–Downtown are stand-alone universities; they are not branch campuses of the University of Houston.
Admission into each institution is separate, and each institution has distinct admission criteria and requirements.
|University of Houston
4800 Calhoun Rd
|1927||39,820||667||63.0%||$589.8 million||$127.5 million||Research
No. 184 (Tier 1)
|University of Houston–Clear Lake
2700 Bay Area Blvd
|1971||8,188||524||N/A||$22.6 million||$2.2 million||Master's (Large)||Regional Universities,
|University of Houston–Downtown
1 Main St
|1974||12,918||20||96.9%||$34.7 million||$1.5 million||Baccalaureate–
|Texas Southern University
3100 Cleburne St
Community colleges 
Private universities 
- Rice University, established in 1912, is a private Tier One research university located at 6100 Main, Houston, Texas. Rice enrolled 3,001 undergraduate, 897 post-graduate, and 1,247 doctoral students and awarded 1,448 degrees in 2007. The university is organized into eight schools offering 40 undergraduate degree programs, 51 masters programs, and 29 doctoral programs.
- North American College, established in 2007, is a private college offering bachelor degree programs in three disciplines: Computer science, Business administration and Education.
- Houston Baptist University, 7502 Fondren Road, Houston, Texas, offers more than 50 undergraduate majors. Pre-professional programs range from Biblical Languages to Nursing.
- University of St. Thomas, located at 3800 Montrose, Houston, Texas, is a comprehensive Catholic university, grounded in the liberal arts. Founded by 1947 by Basilian Fathers, it serves as the only Catholic university in the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.
Law schools 
The University of Houston Law Center is one of two top-tier public law schools in Texas, and is the only top-tier law school in Houston. It ranks 56th among the nation's "Best Law Schools" in U.S. News & World Report. The law school is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools. Founded in 1947, the Law Center is one of 12 academic colleges of the University of Houston. The law school's facilities are located on the university's 667-acre campus in southeast Houston.
Health institutions 
- University of Houston College of Pharmacy
- University of Houston College of Optometry
- Institute of Biosciences and Technology
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Prairie View A&M University College of Nursing
- Texas Southern University School of Pharmacy and Health Science
- Texas Women's University Health Science Center Houston
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Memorial Hermann Clinical Innovation and Research Institute (CIRI)
- The Methodist Hospital Research Institute
Former institutions 
- Gulf Coast Bible College (moved to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in 1985)
- Christian College of America
See also 
- "Online Institutional Resumes". Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
-  Carnegie Foundation University Classification | accessdate = 2011-02-06
- "University of Houston Progress Card". University of Houston System. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "2013 Best Colleges: University of Houston". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- "University of Houston–Clear Lake Progress Card". University of Houston System. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "2013 Best Colleges: University of Houston–Clear Lake". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- "University of Houston–Downtown Progress Card". University of Houston System. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "2013 Best Colleges: University of Houston–Downtown". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- "2013 Best Colleges: Texas Southern University". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved September 15, 2012.
- Rice University
- "Rice University - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report". Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Majors and Programs of Study". Rice University. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- "Information for Graduate Students". Rice University. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- "Rice Facts - Academic Schools". Rice University. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- North American College
- HBU - Visit HBU
- Contact UST
- Moore, Louis. "Ecumenism the byword on high-rise college campus." Houston Chronicle. Saturday August 31, 1985. Religion 1. Retrieved on September 25, 2011.
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.