||Space, Space Commercialization, Cheap Reliable Access to Space
||Science, Advancement in Space Travel, Space, Space Elevator
||Michael J. Laine
||Snohomish, Washington, USA
||Michael J. Laine
||Space Elevator, Carbon Nanotubes, CNT
LiftPort Group is a privately held Washington State corporation. It was founded in April, 2003 by Michael J. Laine. The company is focused on the construction of a space elevator using carbon nanotubes.
- April 2003, LiftPort Group founded.
- April 12, 2004, LiftPort Group cosponsored the Official Yuri's Night celebration in Seattle Washington.
- November 12, 2004, Demonstrated a lifter at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology by having it climb up a ribbon approximately 90 meters tall, during a snowstorm.
- April 29, 2005 Announced plans for a carbon nanotube manufacturing plant, the company's first formal facility for production of the material on a commercial scale. The new facility was to serve as the regional headquarters for the company, and represent the fruition of LiftPort Group's three years of research and development efforts into carbon nanotubes, including partnering work with a variety of leading research institutions in the business and academic communities. Set to open in June 2005, LiftPort Nanotech was to be located in Millville, New Jersey.
- September 20, 2005, LiftPort Group designed and built a better lifter, longer ribbon (Tether) and load bearing Balloon to further illustrate proof of concept and progress. The lifter climbed the 1,000-foot (300 m) ribbon which was suspended from the balloon.
- January 2006 LiftPort successfully launched an observation and communication platform a full mile (a kilometer and a half) in the air and maintained it in a stationary position for more than six hours while robotic lifters climbed up and down a ribbon attached to the platform. The platform, a proprietary system that the company has named "HALE" (High Altitude Long Endurance), was secured in place by an arrangement of high altitude balloons, which were also used to launch it. The robotic lifters measured five feet, six inches (1.7 meters) and climbed to a height of more than 1,500 feet (460 m), surpassing its last test record by more than 500 feet (150 m).
- June 11, 2007, LiftPort was to be penalized due to an alleged illegal offering of shares of the company.
- February 16, 2010, LiftPort Group entered into a Consent settlement with the State of Washington agreeing to cease and desist specified activities, and no fine was imposed.
Lunar space elevator 
In October 2011 on the LiftPort website Laine announced that LiftPort is pursuing a Lunar space elevator as an interim goal before attempting a terrestrial elevator. At the 2011 Annual Meeting of the Lunar Exploration Analysis Group (LEAG), LiftPort CTO Marshall Eubanks presented a paper on the Lunar Elevator co-authored by Michael Laine.
In August 2012, LiftPort announced the launch of KickStarter funding for their Lunar space elevator. This KickStarter fund can be found at Space Elevator Kickstarter. This project successfully exceeded its funding goal on September 13, 2012, requesting $8,000 they raised $110,353 from 3,468 backers.
External links 
EVE Online Universe Discussed By LiftPort Group Founder Michael Laine - Gamerhubtv
At EVE Fanfest 2013, LiftPort Group founder Michael Laine talked about the reality of a space elevator in this exclusive interview from Iceland. http://youtu...
Eve Online Explored By LiftPort Group Founder Michael Laine - Gamerhubtv
At EVE Fanfest in Iceland, Liftport Group founder Michael Laine talks about the realism of CCP Games EVE Online universe in this exclusive interview. http://...
NOVA scienceNOW | An Elevator To Space? | PBS
Join NOVA scienceNOW host Neil deGrasse Tyson as he visits the LiftPort Group in Bremerton, Washington. The entrepreneurs and engineers at LiftPort think spa...
SPACE ELEVATOR: Lunar space LIFT may be built by 2020 [FUTURE TECHNOLOGY]
US firm announced an ambitious project to build a lunar space elevator that could transport both robots and humans using an existing technology, in less than...
Groundhog's Day Breakthrough and Other Miscellaneous Topics
In the video exclusive Michael Laine mentions The Space Show with Dr. Livingston, A Google hangout on Wednesday with the NSS(which you can have access to by ...
EVE Fanfest 2013: Make EVE Real - Space Elevator
Past, Present, and Future of Space Elevators. Take a look at the early concepts behind the Space Elevator, its history and evolution, its current status and ...
Space Elevator Will Take You Higher - The Daily Orbit - redOrbit
Which floor? Oh the moon please? Yep it might just happen in the future. -- Do women have a happiness gene? -- And yet another message from Mars. -- Lots...
The Noumenia Process and Lunar Elevator Problems
In the Educational Video Exclusive Michael discusses the Noumenia process(which means new Moon in Greek) the Lunar Elevator problems as a whole. He then ment...
In this Behind the Scenes video, we show that we aren't sticks in the mud all the time. These bloopers are from the Engadget Interview, the office and random...
Call Of Duty Ghosts Behind The Scenes At Activision Infinity Ward Studio - Gamerhubtv
Activision takes us inside Infinity Ward for this behind the scenes look at how Call of Duty Ghosts is being made. http://youtube.com/gamerhubvideos http://f...
Thu, 23 May 2013 07:05:11 -0700
They will commence with two-kilometer parachute jumps from a helium balloon-tethered tower that will comprise the major test platform of The LiftPort Group's Lunar Space Elevator Project. Eventually near-space jumps from as high as 40 kilometers will ...
Wall Street Journal (press release)
Mon, 29 Apr 2013 06:08:24 -0700
The company was co-founded in 2006 by Dr. Jordin Kare, one of the foremost experts on laser propulsion, and Tom Nugent, former Research Director for LiftPort Group. Its industry partners include some of the leading companies in aerospace and lasers, ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about LiftPort Group with people all over the world in our discussions.