|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
|Region||Bicol (Region V)|
|Founded||September 8, 1800|
|• Mayor||Joseph V. Ascutia|
|• Total||589.36 km2 (227.55 sq mi)|
|• Density||160/km2 (400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||1st class|
The town of Labo is geographically located relatively at the center of the province of Camarines Norte. It is approximately 335 kilometers south of Manila and 15 kilometers away from Daet, the capital town of the province. It is situated at the coordinates between 14°01'06" and 14°11" North latitudes and 122°21'00" and 122°52'20" East longitudes. On the North, it is bounded by the municipalities of Paracale, Jose Panganiban, and Capalonga, on the South, by the province of Quezon, adjoining province of Camarines Sur, on the East by the municipalities of Vinzons and San Vicente, and on the West by the municipality of Sta. Elena. The Maharlika highway links this municipality to provinces and cities of the Bicol Region and the Calabarzon (Region IV-A) region.
Its aggregate land area of 648.84 km² occupies more than 25% of the total land area of the province. Its 52 component barangays represent 18.44% of the total barangays of the province. There are ten (10) classified as urban barangays namely Bagacay, Cabusay, Fundado, Anahaw, Bagong Silang I, Dalas, Gumamela, Kalamunding, Malasugui, Pinya, San Francisco, Talobatib and Tulay na Lupa, and the remaining forty two are considered as rural.
The surface of the municipality is generally rugged, rolling hills and mountainous terrain with relative small rollings and flat terrain. Mt. Cadig (736 m above sea level), Mt. Labo(943 m above sea level), Mt. Bagacay (786 m above sea level) and Mt. Nalisbitan (265 m above sea level) form the Southern Cordillera. Boundaries of Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, and Quezon provinces converge on Mt. Labo, which is the highest peak in the province. Mt. Bagacay serves as a boundary between municipalities of Paracale and Labo and it as well guards the municipality from strong north winds especially during typhoons. Mt. Labo, Mt. Bagacay, and Mt. Cadig are the three major known dormant volcanoes in the municipality. The northwest portion of the municipality is greatly affected by 2 major fault and earthquake lines accruing in the province, while other trends affect north-northwest along Mt. Cadig passing through the barangays of Guisican and Bayabas. Like its neighbors, Panganiban and Paracale, there is a vast deposit of gold ore in the mountains of Labo, Camarines Norte. It is believed that Mt. Bagacay hides the treasures of Gen. Yamashita and is the target of both local and foreign treasure hunters and bounty seekers.
There is no pronounced dry season and maximum rain period from December to January.
Labo is politically subdivided into 52 barangays.
- Awitan (SKC Rene Charlon Bendana, 2010-2013)
- Baay (SKC Albert Pardo, 2010-2013)
- Bagacay (SKC maila Villagen, 2010-2013)
- Bagong Silang I
- Bagong Silang II( Ruby S. Gadil , 2007-2013)
- Bakiad (SKC Charlene Odi, 2010-2013)
- Bautista (SKC Madeline Rojo, 2010-2013)
- Bayan-bayan (SKC Maricar Barbin, 2010-2013)
- Benit (SKC Chinica May Maigue, 2010-2013)
- Anahaw (Pob.)
- Gumamela (Pob.) (SKC Jennilyn Razon, 2010-2013)
- San Francisco (Pob.)
- Kalamunding (Pob.) (SKC Julie Ann Vibar, 2010-2013)
- Bulhao (SKC Rizza Haboc, 2010-2013)
- Cabusay (SKC MaryLee Sureta, 2010-2013)
- Calabasa (SKC Janna Fe Diza, 2010-2013)
- Exciban ( SKC Rollie C. Carag 2002-2007 )
- Fundado (Brgy. Capt. Caesar Bardon) (SKC Romnick Adecer, 2010-2013)
- Iberica (SKC Charmaine de Guzman, 2010-2013)
- Mabilo I
- Mabilo II (SKC Liezel Rada, 2010-2013)
- Macogon (SKC Maridel Corporal, 2010-2013 (SKMF President))
- Mahawan-hawan (SKC Jomar Chavez, 2010-2013)
- Malasugui (SKC Princess Anzano, 2010-2013)
- Maot (SKC Erwin Ruales, 2010-2013)
- Masalong (SKC Gerald Visitacion, 2010-2013)
- Matanlang (SKC Ronelo Butial, 2010-2013)
- Napaod (SKC Jestony Pardo, 2010-2013)
- Pag-Asa (SKC Aga Ripo, 2010-2013)
- Pangpang (SKC Donita Joy Guzman, 2010-2013)
- Pinya (Pob./Punong barangay Minnie c Londres)
- San Antonio (SKC Richard Trillanes, 2010-2013)
- Santa Cruz
- Bagong Silang III (Silang)
- Talobatib (SKC Sheena Men Roxas, 2010-2013)
- Tigbinan (SKC Rodel Talento, 2010-2013)
- Tulay Na Lupa (SKC Gleazebeth Campo, 2010-2013)
|Population census of Labo|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Culture, tradition and folklore
- Social traditions and beliefs - It is typical Filipino to be religious. They believe on spirits that affects the daily lives. These beliefs and traditions are passed through generations.
- Conception and Giving Birth - A pregnant woman is prohibited to frown or laugh at despicable things for the baby will acquire properties of the despised thing. She is also prohibited to go to isolated places because when a bad spirit sees her, she may give birth too soon.
- Baptism - It is important that a baby should be baptized on time. Unbaptized babies are closer to the devil because they are not holy to protect themselves. It is also important that the Godparents of the baby are good individuals because the baby will get such behavior from them.
- Courting and Engagement - There are instances that marriage is agreed by the parents while the boy and the girl are still babies. Unknowingly, a woman may have been agreed to be married to a specific man. Most of the time, a man who likes a lady, talks to the lady's parent's to win their approval. The man, helps with the household chores and avoids to do things perfectly, any mistake may mean failure.
These traditions and beliefs are still widely practiced. Despite the growth of modern technologies, almost everybody still believes in luck.
Labo being located at the center of the province and the most populous town serves as the agricultural center as well as potential investment destination and promotion center for business, trades, and secondary industrial growth center. It is abundant with natural resources such as gold, nickel, iron, magnetite sand, copper, lead and manganese. Most of the provincial water supplies are located at barangay Tulay na Lupa and Lugui which serves seven out of the 12 municipalities. Agriculture is the leading livelihood of the residents of Labo. Due to abundant forest products such as rattan and bamboo, local folks tend to manufacture and market handicrafts.
An area of 390.39 km² (65.17% of municipal's land area) is devoted to agricultural crop production, 343.46 km² of which are coconut plantations. On the other hand, 18.47 km² is used for rice production. Banana production is also popular in the province, followed by Pineapple and Pili.
Tourism is also a good source of income for Labo, being surrounded by freshwater and mountains suitable for hikings.
Other community livelihood follows: pineapple and coco-based processing and preservation, pineapple weaving (Barong), jewelry making and accessories, foods manufacturing and beverages processing, other tourism related industries and wood and bamboo furniture making.
- Saltahan Falls - barangay Awitan
- Palanas Falls - barangay Pag-asa
- Maligaya Falls - barangay Submakin
- Binuan Falls - barangay Daguit
- Malatap Falls - barangay Malatap
- Burok-Busok Falls - barangay Bagong Silang II
- Turayog Falls - barangay Fundado
- Mt. Cadig Cave - Located at Mt. Cadig, barangay Bayabas. Along the highway it is 52 km drive from the town proper. From Maharlika highway it can be hiked via barangay Bayabas or barangay Guisican. Hills, trees and rocky slopes hide this cave from view. The cave is composed of several dark compartments of stalactites and stalagmites. This cave is getting attention to become town's priority tourist attraction.
- Mambuaya Cave - barangay Fundado
- Pintong Gubat
- Busig-on River
- Labo River
- Matogdon River
- Abasig River - barangay Baay
- Donya Eusebia Resort and Restaurant
- Ina's Resort
- Sinagtala Resort
- Nature's Resort
- Recreation and hiking
- Saltahan Falls - barangay Awitan
- Labo People's Park
- Kukod Kabayo Rest Area
- Tan-awan / Bilad na Bato - barangay Fundado
- Festivals and cultural entertainment
- Busig-on Festival
- May Festival
- Agro-Industrial Fair
- Search for "Miss Labo"
- Search for "Mr. Labo"
- Miss Gay Beauty Pageant
- Annual Marian Exhibit and procession - held every 8th of September as part of Mary´s birthday celebration and the founding anniversary of Labo, an exposition of priceless arts composed of antiques, vintages and new images of Maria the mother of Jesus. The local artisans, camameros and florists of Camarines Norte and Camarines Sur joined together in cooperation with the local government of Labo and the Diocese of Daet for the preparation of this event, from the exhibition ended with Marian procession.
- Historical landmarks
- Gen. Vicente R. Lukban Landmark
- Battle of Tigbinan
- Hagdan Bato
- Labo Museum
- Veteran's Monument
- Centennial Monument
- Basilio Bautista
- Parish of Saint John The Apostle & Evangelist
- Parish of Saint Cajetan in Tulay na Lupa
- Parish of Saint Didacus of Alcala in Bagong Silang
- Quasi-Parish of the Holy Family in Talobatib
- Holy Trinity College Seminary in Bautista
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- "Province: CAMARINES NORTE". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 28 December 2012.
- "Province of Camarines Norte". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 23 July 2013.
- Labo - the Hidden Paradise brochure
- Jose Ramon B. Lagatuz, Kasaysay - Pamana ng Lahi, Alay sa mga Taga-Labo
- Labo Municipal Annual Accomplishment Report
- Daloy ng Kasaysayan I
- Carlos C. Galvez, contributed the "Ang Epiko ni Busig-on." He is the main contributor of the BUSIG-ON Festival.
- Labo at Camarines Norte provincial website
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
||Capalonga / Jose Panganiban / Paracale||Vinzons|
|Santa Elena||San Vicente|
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.