Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a taluk and a Municipality town in the Kozhikode district in the North Malabar region, state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Koyilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Koyilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Koylandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Koyilandy is the thaluk headquarters of 34 villages. They are: Arikkulam, Atholy, Avitanallur, Balussery, Chakkittapara, Changaroth, Chemancheri, Chempanode, Chengottukavu, Cheruvannur, Eravattur, Iringal, Kayanna, Keezhariyur, Koorachundu, Koothali, Kottur, Kozhukkallur, Menhaniam, Meppayur, Moodadi, Naduvannur, Nochad, Palery, Panangad, Panthalayani, Payyoli, Perambra, Sivapuram, Thikkodi, Thurayur, Ulliyeri, Unnikulam and Viyyur.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area. There are 14 famous dargahs on the hill. Parappally beach is also known for its scenic sunset.
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Koyilandy Taluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- M.M. Hospital
- Sakalya Ayurveda Hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Koyilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- Urupuniya kavu temple
- Moodadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Cheriyamangad Kottayil Shree Durga Bhagavathy Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Sree kidarathil thalachillon devi temple kanayankode
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- GVHSS for Boys, Koyilandy
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Naderi
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
Sun, 22 Mar 2015 17:22:30 -0700
The Kerala Feeds Limited will open its hi-tech cattle feed production plant at Thiruvangoor in Koyilandy next month. The plant, nearing completion at an area of 10 acres land, will have the capacity to produce 300 tonnes of cattle feed a day. The ...
Fri, 20 Mar 2015 18:07:30 -0700
Prince has been in the company of the camera from a very young age, as he accompanied his father Radhakrishnan to the family-owned Gemini studio at Koyilandy. His fascination for butterflies began when he accidentally developed a 'friendship' with a ...
Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:07:45 -0700
The second Malabar Movie Festival organised by the Aadi Foundation, Kerala Chalachitra Academy, Koyilandy municipality and the Department of Public Relations will begin at Krishna theatre in Koyilandy on Friday. According to a press release, 18 movies ...
Thu, 05 Mar 2015 16:11:15 -0800
An 18-year-old boy hailing from Kuravangad, who allegedly sent a threat letter to the Koyilandy Circle Inspector in the guise of a Maoist was tracked down by the police. The police said the boy sent the letter to the Circle Inspector last Saturday for ...
Thu, 19 Mar 2015 17:22:30 -0700
... Koyilandy Town northern side, Gurukulam, Arayankavu, Kollam, Parappally, Anakkulam and Manthamangalam (8 a.m. to 2 p.m.); Vellimadukunnu, Poolakkadavu, JDT, Patroni Nagar, Madhyamam, Moozhikkal, Vaidyar Lane, Puliyangodkunnu, C.H. Colony, ...
Times of India
Thu, 12 Mar 2015 11:45:00 -0700
The trader, Panakkandithazhe Abdul Azziz (47), of Kuruvangadu in Koyilandy, has been missing since January 7. According to a police complaint, he was returning to his shop after collecting money from another trader at the Silk Bazaar in Moodadi when he ...
Sat, 13 Dec 2014 17:18:45 -0800
A series of dedicated activities including restoration of unused private ponds after attaching them as a public property, reclamation of encroached portions of rivers, innovative methods to protect mangroves, and decentralised waste management schemes ...
Mon, 16 Mar 2015 17:19:15 -0700
... Neroth, Onchiyam, Onchiyam Bank, and Saudamukku (7 a.m. to 2 p.m.); Malayadampoyil, Mullanmukku, Kallumpuram, and Aroor (7 a.m. to 3 p.m.); Cheyur, Nirathumalpeedika, Vanimel, and Chelamukku (8 a.m. to 10 a.m.); from Koyilandy Taluk hospital to ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.