Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a city and a municipality in Kozhikode district in North Malabar region of the Indian state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a near-by village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Quilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Quilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Quilandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area.
There are 14 famous dargahs also on the hill. Parappally beach is also a beauty Scene for
seeing sunset picasaweb.google.com/.../rEiphwQMheEvoGfzxPuz4Q
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Quilandy Thaluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- MM Hospital
- MINHANS Multi-Specialty Homeopathic Clinic and Research Center. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: 606 6 606 (0496)
Quilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- urupuniya kavu temple
- Mudadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru & Pazhayatheru)
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- puliyancheri LP School, puliyanchery
- Amrita School, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
kalidasa bidhyani kethan cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt Mopla Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandi
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandi
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognised Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Naderi
Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:07:30 -0800
The 200-year-old Koyilandy court premises here will get two new buildings. One of the two buildings, estimated to cost Rs.57 lakh, will be used to house court offices, storage facility of physical evidence and seized materials, record rooms, and washrooms.
Times of India
Sat, 30 Nov 2013 13:06:21 -0800
Meanwhile, the master plan for Koyilandy municipality is in its preliminary stage. The town planning office in Koyilandy is busy preparing plans for each identified sector. The regional town planner will present the first draft of the master plan of ...
Times of India
Tue, 26 Nov 2013 12:48:45 -0800
The scheme will be implemented at the Kozhikode Medical College Hospital, Institute of Maternal and Child Health, Beach General Hospital, Kottaparamba Women and Child Hospital, Vadakara District Hospital and taluk hospitals at Thamarassery, Koyilandy ...
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:33:06 -0800
Two of them, it claims, come under the Koyilandy taluk in Chakittappara grama panchayat. “Ecological conservation is not something which a professor sitting far away should do. Stop the implementation of the Professor Madhav Gadgil and K. Kasturirangan ...
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 23:07:30 -0800
Kozhikode: Ten-year-old Abhishek Lal seldom gets bullied, for he's no ordinary kid. He's one of the youngest in the state to have earned a black belt in karate. Abhishek, hailing from Cheliya village near Koyilandy, is a class five student of K.K ...
The New Indian Express
The New Indian Express
Tue, 26 Nov 2013 22:11:49 -0800
There is high demand for coir products in the region since there is no such outlet in Perambra and Koyilandy, he says. Customers will get discount offers during festival seasons like Onam and Christmas. Balussery MLA Purushan Kadalundi inaugurated the ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Koyilandy with people all over the world in our discussions.