Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a city and a municipality in Kozhikode district in North Malabar region of the Indian state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Quilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Quilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Quilandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area.
There are 14 famous dargahs also on the hill. Parappally beach is also a beauty Scene for
seeing sunset picasaweb.google.com/.../rEiphwQMheEvoGfzxPuz4Q
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Quilandy Thaluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- MM Hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Quilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- urupuniya kavu temple
- Mudadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Naderi
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
The New Indian Express
The New Indian Express
Thu, 07 Aug 2014 20:11:15 -0700
KOZHIKODE: Koyilandy municipality, that is known for launching people-friendly projects, is all set to introduce a novel project titled 'widow rehabilitation programme,' as part of its mission to elevate the status of women from all sections of society ...
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:56:15 -0700
The COs in neighbouring Koyilandy and Vadakara municipalities are paid much higher and were made permanent employees long back. But the Kozhikode Corporation has been accused of turning a blind eye towards the plight of the COs. With their legal ...
Times of India
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:51:02 -0700
KOZHIKODE: Keezhariyur occupies a special place in the history of Kerala's freedom struggle. A group of revolutionaries from this village near Koyilandy had hatched a plot to trigger explosions at government installations in November 1942. The plot ...
Sat, 16 Aug 2014 18:30:00 -0700
Only recently, over 3000 CDs , hard disks and memory cards carrying pornorgraphic movies, were seized from vendors in Koyilandy, Kallayi and other areas in raids conducted in various parts of the district. And on Saturday, a vendor, Abdul Salam, was ...
Times of India
Sat, 09 Aug 2014 15:07:14 -0700
The control rooms are opened at Kozhikode, Perambra, Vadakara, Feroke, Kunnamangalam, Chelannur, Koyilandy, Balussery, Nadapuram and Azhiyoor range offices . A control room will be set up at the office of the assistant commissioner of excise as well.
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 19:26:15 -0700
One of the six proposed agriculture malls in Kerala will come up at Thiruvangoor near Koyilandy for effective retailing of various value-added agricultural products, Minister for Agriculture K.P. Mohanan has said. He was speaking after laying the ...
Fri, 01 Aug 2014 00:53:19 -0700
According to official sources, the Koyilandy taluk too has seven projects submitted to the government. In Kozhikode city, two projects have been forwarded for the immediate attention of the government. Records at the Collectorate show that the ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Koyilandy with people all over the world in our discussions.