Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a taluk and a Municipality town in the Kozhikode district in the North Malabar region, state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Koyilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Koyilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Koyilandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Koyilandy is the thaluk headquarters of 34 villages. They are: Arikkulam, Atholy, Avitanallur, Balussery, Chakkittapara, Changaroth, Chemancheri, Chempanode, Chengottukavu, Cheruvannur, Eravattur, Iringal, Kayanna, Keezhariyur, Koorachundu, Koothali, Kottur, Kozhukkallur, Menhaniam, Meppayur, Moodadi, Naduvannur, Nochad, Palery, Panangad, Panthalayani, Payyoli, Perambra, Sivapuram, Thikkodi, Thurayur, Ulliyeri, Unnikulam and Viyyur.
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Railway Station- Koyilandy Railway station, established in 1901
- Nearest Airport- Calicut International Airport, approx. 50 km away.
- Road- Koyilandy is only 25 kilometres from Kozhikode city. The road from Kozhikode to Koyilandy passes through Nadakkavu, West Hill, Elathur and Vengalam towns. After Pavangad junction, the road passes through villages like Pookkad, Chemencheri, Poyilkavu, Chengottu kavu and Melur before reaching Koyilandy town. The town of Koyilandy is situated on either side of the busy national highway going to Kannur and Mangalore.
- Koyilandy Taluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada(National) Hospital
- M.M. Hospital
- Sakalya Ayurveda Hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Koyilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Cheriyamangad Kottayil Shree Durga Bhagavathy Temple
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Sree kidarathil thalachillon devi temple kanayankode
- Thalachilion Temple Kanayankode
- Valiyakath (Masjid & Dargha Makham) - Beach Road Koyilandy
Suburbs of Koyilandy
- Vengalam and Thiruvangoor
- Vettilapara and Chemancheri
- Chengottukavu and Melur
- Anakkulam and Moodadi Toll
- Nandi, Thikkody and Payyoli
- Iringal, Payyoli, Thikkodi and Moodadi
- Viyyur, Panthalayani, Chengottukavu and Chemancherry
- Thurayur, Keezhariyur, Arikkulam and Kozhukkallur
- Atholy, Ulliyeri, Balussery and Naduvannur
- Kottur, Avittanallur, Cheruvannur and Meppayur
- Chakkittappara, Chempanode, Perambra and Kayanna
- Koorachundu, Koothaly, Menhaniam and Eravattur
- Nochad, Palery and Changaroth
- Payyoly to Meppayur: 11km
- Payyoly to Perambra. 19 km
- Payyoly to Anchampeedika. 13 km
- thiruvangoor to kappad beach 3 km
- thiruvangoor to adivaram 68 km
- koyilandy to thamarasserry 28 km
- Thiruvangoor Higher Secondary School,Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Poilkave Higher Secondary School, Poilkave
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. Industrial Training Institute, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Nambrathkara,naduvathur(PO)
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
We're sorry, but there's no news about "Koyilandy" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.