Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a taluk and a Municipality town in the Kozhikode district in the North Malabar region, state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Koyilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Koyilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Koylandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Koyilandy is the thaluk headquarters of 34 villages. They are: Arikkulam, Atholy, Avitanallur, Balussery, Chakkittapara, Changaroth, Chemancheri, Chempanode, Chengottukavu, Cheruvannur, Eravattur, Iringal, Kayanna, Keezhariyur, Koorachundu, Koothali, Kottur, Kozhukkallur, Menhaniam, Meppayur, Moodadi, Naduvannur, Nochad, Palery, Panangad, Panthalayani, Payyoli, Perambra, Sivapuram, Thikkodi, Thurayur, Ulliyeri, Unnikulam and Viyyur.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area. There are 14 famous dargahs on the hill. Parappally beach is also known for its scenic sunset.
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Koyilandy Taluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- M.M. Hospital
- Sakalya Ayurveda Hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Koyilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- Urupuniya kavu temple
- Moodadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Cheriyamangad Kottayil Shree Durga Bhagavathy Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Sree kidarathil thalachillon devi temple kanayankode
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- GVHSS for Boys, Koyilandy
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Naderi
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
Sun, 01 Mar 2015 20:52:30 -0800
... such as smoking in office and coming for work under the influence of alcohol. An oath must be extracted from the employees — that they would not resort to such practices — and this must be filed in their service register. K.K. Kunhikannan ...
Sat, 13 Dec 2014 17:18:45 -0800
“It is a known fact that filling paddy fields is a tough task anywhere in the municipality limits now,” says N.V. Balakrishnan, environmental worker and journalist from Koyilandy. “This is in contrast to the rampant filling activities going on in the ...
Sun, 07 Dec 2014 19:45:00 -0800
Following the PRISM (Promoting Regional Schools to International Standards through Multiple Intervention) model of development implemented in some of the city schools, the government schools in Koyilandy Assembly constituency too are on the track of a ...
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:11:15 -0800
Protests will be staged in front of the post offices at all the four taluks — Thamarassery, Koyilandy, Vadakara, and Kozhikode — at 9 a.m., they said. The council members alleged that the Union government was going ahead with its neo-liberal policies ...
Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:10:59 -0800
The walk will reach Kozhikode city on Sunday, Thiruvangoor on Tuesday, Koyilandy on Wednesday, Puthuppanam on Thursday, and cross over to Kannur district on February 27. The aim. The Walk of Hope is a padayatra for peace and harmony by the ...
Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:33:45 -0800
The walk will reach Kozhikode city on February 22, with a rest day on February 23, Thiruvangoor on February 24, Koyilandy on February 25, Puthuppanam on February 26, and cross into Kannur district on February 27. A public reception will be given to him ...
Times of India
Wed, 11 Feb 2015 22:00:57 -0800
The Kottaka Vandi has covered tribal colony at Pilathara in Kannur, a market place at Iritty, educational institution in Kalpetta and reached Peruvannamoozhi town and covered Thiruvambady and Koyilandy by Tuesday. The Kottakavandi will cover ...
Sun, 08 Feb 2015 16:00:00 -0800
Despite repeated attempts by the Motor Vehicles Department, the hardship caused by bus crew to passengers continues. Some bus crew unexpectedly cut down their scheduled trip and put passengers to inconvenience. As for the conductors, their behaviour ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.