Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a city and a municipality in Kozhikode district in North Malabar region of the Indian state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Koyilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Koyilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Koylandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Koyilandy is the thaluk headquarters of 34 villages. They are Arikkulam, Atholy, Avitanallur, Balussery, Chakkittapara, Changaroth, Chemancheri, Chempanode, Chengottukavu, Cheruvannur, Eravattur, Iringal, Kayanna, Keezhariyur, Koorachundu, Koothali, Kottur, Kozhukkallur, Menhaniam, Meppayur, Moodadi, Naduvannur, Nochad, Palery, Panangad, Panthalayani, Payyoli, Perambra, Sivapuram, Thikkodi, Thurayur, Ulliyeri, Unnikulam and Viyyur.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area. There are 14 famous dargahs on the hill. Parappally beach is also known for its scenic sunset.
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Koyilandy Thaluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- MM Hospital
- Sakalya ayurveda hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Koyilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- Urupuniya kavu temple
- Moodadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Cheriyamangad Kottayil Shree Durga Bhagavathy Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- GVHSS for Boys, Koyilandy
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Naderi
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
Sun, 23 Nov 2014 19:22:30 -0800
'Kadal Yathra,' a boat rally by fishermen along the coastline of Kerala urging the State government to address the pending developmental needs of their community, was accorded a warm reception in three fishing harbours in the district on Sunday.
The New Indian Express
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 16:33:45 -0800
KOZHIKODE: Two Sabarimala pilgrims were killed and six others injured when a Sabarimala-bound car from Karnataka collided with an LPG tanker lorry at Pookkad, near Koyilandy, on the Kozhikode-Kannur stretch of the National Highway 17 in the wee ...
Times of India
Sun, 08 Jun 2014 14:44:02 -0700
KOZHIKODE: Officials from the tourism department visited Kappad, Koyilandy and other places of interest in the region, triggering hopes that the Koyilandy tourism circuit project will get the much-needed boost. The project is aimed at connecting ...
The New Indian Express
The New Indian Express
Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:33:45 -0800
“A promising student very much in the league of Tintu Luka and Jessy Joseph. She can go the distance,” Usha says about Abitha. The winner of the 1500 m and 800 m events in the Kozhikode district revenue meet held in Koyilandy, Abitha hopes to replicate ...
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 17:52:30 -0800
The Kozhikode district panchayat has collected a sum of Rs.2.61 crore for the first phase of the Snehasparsham project. The amount was mobilised from the limits of the Kozhikode Corporation, Koyilandy municipality and the 41 grama panchayats under the ...
Mon, 10 Nov 2014 22:33:45 -0800
... as substance abuse, violence, communalism and underdevelopment. The Yatra covered the rural regions and mofussil towns including Balussery, and Vadakara in the district on Monday. Receptions will also be accorded to the Yatra at Koyilandy, Kakkodi, ...
Wed, 12 Nov 2014 23:54:41 -0800
Mr. Raghavan has selected Unnikulam grama panchayt, a semi-hilly region while Mr. Ramachandran, chose the coastal village of Payyoli for the scheme. Incidentally these underdeveloped panchayats are in Koyilandy taluk. Unnikulam, in Balussery block ...
Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:37:30 -0700
Around 1,000 people in the Koyilandy, Balussery, and Perambra Assembly constituencies took rabies vaccination in the past one-and-a-half years after they were bitten by rabid dogs, foxes, and mongooses. Even cattle that were bitten by these animals ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.