Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a taluk and a Municipality town in the Kozhikode district in the North Malabar region, state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Koyilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Koyilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Koylandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Koyilandy is the thaluk headquarters of 34 villages. They are: Arikkulam, Atholy, Avitanallur, Balussery, Chakkittapara, Changaroth, Chemancheri, Chempanode, Chengottukavu, Cheruvannur, Eravattur, Iringal, Kayanna, Keezhariyur, Koorachundu, Koothali, Kottur, Kozhukkallur, Menhaniam, Meppayur, Moodadi, Naduvannur, Nochad, Palery, Panangad, Panthalayani, Payyoli, Perambra, Sivapuram, Thikkodi, Thurayur, Ulliyeri, Unnikulam and Viyyur.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area. There are 14 famous dargahs on the hill. Parappally beach is also known for its scenic sunset.
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Koyilandy Taluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada(National) Hospital
- M.M. Hospital
- Sakalya Ayurveda Hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Koyilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- Urupuniya kavu temple
- Moodadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- Muchukunnu Kotta Temple and Pond
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Kanhilassery Siva Temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Cheriyamangad Kottayil Shree Durga Bhagavathy Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Sree kidarathil thalachillon devi temple kanayankode
- Thalachilion Temple Kanayankode
- Valiyakath (Masjid & Dargha Makham) - Beach Road Koyilandy
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Quilandy Kendra
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Chemanchery Kolakkad UP School
- Poilkave Higher Secondary School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Kuruvangad Central UP School
- Peruvatoor LP School
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- GVHSS for Boys, Koyilandy
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Nambrathkara,naduvathur(PO)
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
Wed, 04 Nov 2015 16:08:27 -0800
The increase in the total voting percentage in the Koyilandy municipality has given the United Democratic Front (UDF), which has been sitting in the opposition bench of the local body for the last two decades, hope of turning the table on the LDF this ...
Sun, 22 Nov 2015 13:33:45 -0800
Kozhikode: The onward journey of Thiruvananthapuram-Mumbai Netravathi express was delayed by more than an hour Sunday night as the assistant loco pilot suffered injuries in stone pelting by miscreants at Koyilandy, about 22 kms from here, official ...
Mon, 23 Nov 2015 16:09:24 -0800
Subedar Subinesh, a native of Cheliya, Chengottukkavu near Koyilandy in Kozhikode district was killed during an encounter between the Indian Army and terrorists along the Line of Control in Nowshera sector in Jammu and Kashmir on Monday morning.
Tue, 24 Nov 2015 16:33:15 -0800
Subinesh, 26 was a native of Cheliya, Chengottukkavu near Koyilandy in Kozhikode district. The body will be flown down in an Air India flight from New Delhi. The flight is expected to arrive at the Calicut Airport at 8.45 a.m., official sources said ...
Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:09:46 -0700
The Left Democratic Front (LDF) has no major worries in the Koyilandy municipality except a sense of complacency among its local leaders. The municipality has been a Left bastion for the past two decades. The LDF has won majority in the four ...
Wed, 02 Sep 2015 17:09:06 -0700
Attempts to resume the pending land reclamation work for the development of Koyilandy fishing harbour have got a fillip with the decision of the harbour engineering wing to make use of the soil and sediments dug out from the Puthiyappa harbour for the ...
Mon, 28 Sep 2015 17:12:39 -0700
Giving a glimmer of hope to thousands of people in Kozhikode and Kannur districts, the Public Works Department (PWD) has worked out a proposal to construct an alternative road connecting Koyilandy and Koothuparamba in these districts. A major task will ...
The New Indian Express
Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:30:00 -0800
KOZHIKODE: From laying roads to organising various cultural and sports events, Subhinesh A M was always in the forefront at Cheliya village near Koyilandy. Now, the entire village is mourning the death of the soldier in an encounter with terrorists ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.