Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a city and a municipality in Kozhikode district in North Malabar region of the Indian state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a near-by village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Quilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Quilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Quilandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area.
There are 14 famous dargahs also on the hill. Parappally beach is also a beauty Scene for
seeing sunset picasaweb.google.com/.../rEiphwQMheEvoGfzxPuz4Q
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Quilandy Thaluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- MM Hospital
- MINHANS Multi-Specialty Homeopathic Clinic and Research Center. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: 606 6 606 (0496)
Quilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- urupuniya kavu temple
- Mudadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Pazhayatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Moplah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Naderi
Wed, 05 Mar 2014 22:56:15 -0800
Aadi Foundation in collaboration with the Kerala Chalachithra Academy, Information and Public Relation Department and Koyilandy Municipality is organising the Malabar Movie Festival at Koyilandy in the district from March 7 to 9. All the critically ...
Fri, 07 Mar 2014 07:22:30 -0800
After their six-day training as part of the Coconut Development Board's Friends of Coconut Tree initiative in Koyilandy about a year ago, the women realised the skill they learnt can be their livelihood. When they climbed up trees with the aid of the ...
Times of India
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:22:30 -0800
"Verbal clashes between ice-plant workers and women residents over ammonia leakage are common," said A Valsan, a resident of Koyilandy, who has been working with MCiTRA. He pointed out that the government-run ice factory at Koyilandy was closed ...
Tue, 04 Mar 2014 03:15:00 -0800
Kozhikode: Saleesh Kumar, a science group student in Koyilandy Mopala higher secondary school in Kozhikode district, has a habit of watching birds, which differentiates him from other similar aged friends. He has done a project on migratory birds that ...
The New Indian Express
The New Indian Express
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 19:34:10 -0800
The members of the action committee objected to the survey of individual plots by the Vadakara tahsildar (LA), demanding that the government should first announce a comprehensive rehabilitation package for those to be evicted in Vadakara and Koyilandy ...
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 05:18:45 -0800
I joined Sukanya Driving School in Koyilandy and cleared my license test for two and four wheeler in the first go. People at the school told me I am skilled and should not waste it. Later, they gave me instructor's training and I worked with them for ...
Fri, 14 Feb 2014 01:23:41 -0800
An elephant, which was brought for a temple festival at Koyilandy, ran amok early on Thursday morning injuring two persons at the festival venue. The elephant, named Vishnu, also destroyed the windowpanes and doors of a house in the area. According to ...
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:33:45 -0800
“Our Nepali employees who died are Yem Bahadur, Durga Bahadur, Thanka Bahadur and Mann Bahadur and the Indians are Malappuram Pulikkal Palangode Abdul Salam, Kozhikode Muchukunnu K K Manol Riyas and Zacharia from Koyilandy, all natives ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Koyilandy with people all over the world in our discussions.