Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a taluk and a Municipality town in the Kozhikode district in the North Malabar region, state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Koyilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Koyilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Koylandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Koyilandy is the thaluk headquarters of 34 villages. They are: Arikkulam, Atholy, Avitanallur, Balussery, Chakkittapara, Changaroth, Chemancheri, Chempanode, Chengottukavu, Cheruvannur, Eravattur, Iringal, Kayanna, Keezhariyur, Koorachundu, Koothali, Kottur, Kozhukkallur, Menhaniam, Meppayur, Moodadi, Naduvannur, Nochad, Palery, Panangad, Panthalayani, Payyoli, Perambra, Sivapuram, Thikkodi, Thurayur, Ulliyeri, Unnikulam and Viyyur.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area. There are 14 famous dargahs on the hill. Parappally beach is also known for its scenic sunset.
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Koyilandy Thaluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- MM Hospital
- Sakalya ayurveda hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Koyilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- Urupuniya kavu temple
- Moodadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Cheriyamangad Kottayil Shree Durga Bhagavathy Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- GVHSS for Boys, Koyilandy
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Naderi
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:08:39 -0800
The District Collectorate and the taluk offices at Vadakara, Koyilandy and Thamarassery wore a deserted look. Village offices and quasi-government departments faced a similar situation. The Corporation office was no different. Many had taken leave as ...
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:16:49 -0800
Kozhikode taluk is sanctioned Rs.1.50 lakh under the Natural Calamities Relief Fund; Koyilandy taluk, Rs.5 lakh; and Thamarassery taluk, Rs.3.5 lakh. A sum of Rs.1.5 lakh will be given to relatives of those killed in natural disasters. Kozhikode taluk ...
Thu, 22 Jan 2015 16:11:15 -0800
The space at Malabar Christian College ground, which was the main venue of the 55th Kerala State School Arts Festival, has been converted into different sections for Kozhikode, Vadakara, Koyilandy, and Thamarassery taluks and a separate stall for the ...
Sat, 13 Dec 2014 17:18:45 -0800
“It is a known fact that filling paddy fields is a tough task anywhere in the municipality limits now,” says N.V. Balakrishnan, environmental worker and journalist from Koyilandy. “This is in contrast to the rampant filling activities going on in the ...
Sun, 07 Dec 2014 19:45:00 -0800
Following the PRISM (Promoting Regional Schools to International Standards through Multiple Intervention) model of development implemented in some of the city schools, the government schools in Koyilandy Assembly constituency too are on the track of a ...
The New Indian Express
The New Indian Express
Thu, 22 Jan 2015 11:52:30 -0800
Anees, who hails from Purakkad in Koyilandy, is a first-year BSc Interior Designing student at the Impasto School of Interior Designing in Kozhikode, and Basheer, who also belongs to Purakkad, is pursuing his first-year BCom at the Excel College in ...
Times of India
Sun, 07 Dec 2014 15:26:15 -0800
KOZHIKODE: Fear has gripped the local residents of Beypore and Koyilandy in the district as stray dog menace has returned in the district. Stray dogs bit over two dozen persons in the region within a week. Some of the dog biting incidents were reported ...
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:16:49 -0800
Vehicles would be regulated on the stretch from Koyilandy to Thamarassery on State Highway No.34 for redrawing lines, lane marking and zebra crossings on the road. The regulation would be in force till the completion of work, the executive engineer ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.