Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a city and a municipality in Kozhikode district in North Malabar region of the Indian state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Quilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Quilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Quilandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area.
There are 14 famous dargahs also on the hill. Parappally beach is also a beauty Scene for
seeing sunset picasaweb.google.com/.../rEiphwQMheEvoGfzxPuz4Q
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Quilandy Thaluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- MM Hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Quilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- urupuniya kavu temple
- Mudadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Naderi
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
Mon, 15 Sep 2014 00:04:13 -0700
As someone who succeeded purely because of her own hard work and dedication, Usha headed into retirement determined to produce Olympic medal-winning runners for India and set up her eponynous school of athletics in Koyilandy, near Kozhikode, ...
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 06:18:45 -0700
He still keeps his spirits alive to be in touch with his art teaching students at his Cheliya Kathakali Vidyalaya at Koyilandy. Krishna's role in 'Kuchela Vritham' remains his favourite for it was his master who played Kuchela with him. He was ...
Tue, 09 Sep 2014 21:52:30 -0700
In a fresh drive, the Koyilandy municipality and the Kozhikode municipal corporation too will get separate programme coordinators to support the project. Officials said the coordinators would mainly help the grama panchayats authorities concerned to ...
Times of India
Wed, 03 Sep 2014 17:11:15 -0700
Other venues will be Mananchira, Zamorin's Hall, Kandamkulam Jubilee Hall, Town Hall, Gujarati Hall, K P Kesava Menon Hall, Town Hall, Tagore Hall and Lalithakala Akademi Art Gallery, and in the outskirts venue including Koyilandy and Vadakara.
Fri, 05 Sep 2014 22:03:45 -0700
Koyilandy and Vadakara will also host programmes this year. The beach stage will play venue to 'Onappoovili,' a programme by Kalamandalam Sathyavrathan, followed by orchestra by Bhargavi Pillai and party from Chennai. Folk/tribal performance by South ...
Times of India
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:51:02 -0700
KOZHIKODE: Keezhariyur occupies a special place in the history of Kerala's freedom struggle. A group of revolutionaries from this village near Koyilandy had hatched a plot to trigger explosions at government installations in November 1942. The plot ...
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 19:15:00 -0700
Snehasparsam volunteers visited each household in the district and collected the money that was promised earlier. Around 40,000 volunteers took part in the fund collection drive in Kozhikode Corporation, Koyilandy Municipality, and 41 grama panchayats ...
Fri, 29 Aug 2014 21:52:30 -0700
... collection is being held on Saturday. Around 40,000 volunteers will be on field in Kozhikode Corporation, Koyilandy municipality, and 41 grama panchayats in Meladi, Panthalayani, Chelannur, Balusseri, Kunnamangalam, Koduvally, and Kozhikode blocks.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Koyilandy with people all over the world in our discussions.