Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a city and a municipality in Kozhikode district in North Malabar region of the Indian state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Koyilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Koyilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Koylandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area.
There are 14 famous dargahs also on the hill. Parappally beach is also a beauty Scene for
seeing sunset picasaweb.google.com/.../rEiphwQMheEvoGfzxPuz4Q
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Koyilandy Thaluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- MM Hospital
- Sakalya ayurveda hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Koyilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- urupuniya kavu temple
- Mudadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- GVHSS for Boys, Koyilandy
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Naderi
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
Times of India
Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:41:15 -0700
However, Koyilandy tahasildar assessed building tax by erroneously taking the total plinth area as 282.24 square metres. Luxury tax is applicable for buildings with plinth area of 278.7 square metres or more as per section 5A of Kerala Building Tax Act ...
Times of India
Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:30:00 -0700
KOZHIKODE: The state animal husbandry department (AHD) will conduct a pulse polio- style coordinated prophylactic vaccination drive of all domestic animals in 11 panchayats and at Koyilandy municipality in the district on a single day to tame the ...
Times of India
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 17:55:54 -0700
A number of curves are present on the stretch and unscientific construction of median has been inviting criticism, said an official with Koyilandy traffic police station. The police personnel said that they would raise the issue before NH Authorities ...
Sun, 19 Oct 2014 17:11:15 -0700
... about the train which may appear on the second track or using the foot overbridge,” the source said. The court has 10 sittings in Kozhikode in a month and two sittings at Kasargod and Kannur stations and one each at Tirur, Thalassery, Vadakara ...
The New Indian Express
The New Indian Express
Sat, 18 Oct 2014 09:30:00 -0700
It had been her dream to have a career like her father, Dr M Bhaskaran, who runs a hospital at Koyilandy. So, it was no surprise that she went into a depression. “To be visually challenged from birth is acceptable,” she says. “But to lose my eyesight ...
The New Indian Express
Sat, 04 Oct 2014 17:33:45 -0700
KOZHIKODE: To bring order in the Koyilandy area committee, which has been hit by factional feud, the CPM has removed K K Mohammed from the post of party area secretary. The disciplinary action was taken at the CPM district committee meeting held here ...
Sun, 12 Oct 2014 21:18:45 -0700
... electrification of a tribal village at Chaliyar panchayat in Malappuram district. They are also organising a training programme for people with physical disabilities at the Nest Palliative care society at Koyilandy in desktop publishing and ...
Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:59:44 -0700
... p.m.); Bappangadi, Kanayamkod, Kuruvangad, Komathkara, Koyilandy Town, Customs Road, Koyilandy beach, Koyilandy Civil Station premises, Kollam town, Kollam beach, Challivayil, Lokanarkkavu premises, Mayyanoor Road, Memunda, Kunnothupara, ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter