Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a taluk and a Municipality town in the Kozhikode district in the North Malabar region, state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Koyilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Koyilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Koylandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Koyilandy is the thaluk headquarters of 34 villages. They are: Arikkulam, Atholy, Avitanallur, Balussery, Chakkittapara, Changaroth, Chemancheri, Chempanode, Chengottukavu, Cheruvannur, Eravattur, Iringal, Kayanna, Keezhariyur, Koorachundu, Koothali, Kottur, Kozhukkallur, Menhaniam, Meppayur, Moodadi, Naduvannur, Nochad, Palery, Panangad, Panthalayani, Payyoli, Perambra, Sivapuram, Thikkodi, Thurayur, Ulliyeri, Unnikulam and Viyyur.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area. There are 14 famous dargahs on the hill. Parappally beach is also known for its scenic sunset.
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Koyilandy Taluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- M.M. Hospital
- Sakalya Ayurveda Hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Koyilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- Urupuniya kavu temple
- Moodadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Cheriyamangad Kottayil Shree Durga Bhagavathy Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Sree kidarathil thalachillon devi temple kanayankode
- Thalachilion Temple Kanayankode
- Valiyakath (Masjid & Dargha Makham) - Beach Road Koyilandy
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- GVHSS for Boys, Koyilandy
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Nambrathkara,naduvathur(PO)
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
Sat, 16 May 2015 17:11:15 -0700
To pep up village tourism and attract more sightseers to the historically important locations in and around the Koyilandy Assembly constituency, a new tourist bus will be purchased exclusively for the constituency by utilising the local area ...
The New Indian Express
The New Indian Express
Thu, 21 May 2015 17:33:45 -0700
VADAKARA:The filthy old Koyilandy bus stand site will soon wear a new look. The Municipality is planning to give a facelift to the developing town by rebuilding it into a shopping mall. Municipal chairperson K Santha said the proposed shopping mall, ...
Times of India
Wed, 06 May 2015 00:52:30 -0700
KOZHIKODE: Though Koyilandy government boys school authorities are yet to receive any formal communication on the conversion of the boys' school to a mixed school, parents of many girls have already started flooding in for admission. In just two days, ...
Times of India
Sat, 23 May 2015 11:56:15 -0700
The robbery incidents are being investigated by officials led by inspector of Koyilandy circle R Haridas and sub inspector of Atholy police station K V Suresh. Finger print and forensic experts have visited the spot to collect evidence. The police are ...
Fri, 22 May 2015 17:11:15 -0700
... the Indian community in the name of religion. He said the trend was totally against secularism. Artists Sreeni Paleri, Chandran Kalpathur, Usman Koyilandy, Charuth Chandran, Lakshmanan Koyilandy, Jithu Chandran, and Sudhi Sankar led the programme.
Times of India
Thu, 21 May 2015 11:56:15 -0700
Modelled on Cheruvannur Nallalam, the district panchayat has already started the work of two more industrial estates at Koyilandy and Vadakara. Other local bodies, including block panchayats and panchayats have also started the work of mini industrial ...
Thu, 21 May 2015 20:56:15 -0700
KOZHIKODE: A 20-year-old girl, Manjusha, hailing from Koyilandy in the district, suffered serious injuries after she fell from a train near Vadakara on Thursday, the police said. Manjusha was moved to the Government Medical College Hospital, Kozhikode, ...
Tue, 12 May 2015 17:11:15 -0700
The public distribution, scheduled to begin on May 26, will be carried out through different nurseries in three ranges under the Kozhikode division, i.e. Vadakara, Koyilandy, and Kozhikode. The distribution of saplings through educational institutions ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.