Koyilandy (or Quilandy/Quilandi) is a taluk and a Municipality town in the Kozhikode district in the North Malabar region, state of Kerala. This town is between Kozhikode and Vatakara (Badagara) and is on NH 66 (previously NH 17). It is sometimes identified with Tyndis in Periplus of the Erythraean Sea. The freedom fighter K. Kelappan was born in a nearby village, Muchukunnu.
Koyilandy is located at 11°26′N 75°42′E / 11.43°N 75.70°E. It has an average elevation of 2 m (6.6 ft).
As of 2001census, Koyilandy had a population of 68,970. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Koyilandy has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 86%, and female literacy is 80%. In Koylandy, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Koyilandy is the thaluk headquarters of 34 villages. They are: Arikkulam, Atholy, Avitanallur, Balussery, Chakkittapara, Changaroth, Chemancheri, Chempanode, Chengottukavu, Cheruvannur, Eravattur, Iringal, Kayanna, Keezhariyur, Koorachundu, Koothali, Kottur, Kozhukkallur, Menhaniam, Meppayur, Moodadi, Naduvannur, Nochad, Palery, Panangad, Panthalayani, Payyoli, Perambra, Sivapuram, Thikkodi, Thurayur, Ulliyeri, Unnikulam and Viyyur.
Parappally Mosque and Kollam Juma Masjid is one of the oldest Muslim masjid in this area. There are 14 famous dargahs on the hill. Parappally beach is also known for its scenic sunset.
The intricate work on a Malabar hookah
Koyilandy hookahs, traditional smoking pipes, of Kozhikode made in Koyilandy were famous across North India, the Gulf and Pakistan. Prepared by Moosari, a coppersmith community, these Hookahs were once considered a pride of Koyilandy. However it is not so any more. But in Gulf countries, Koyilandy hookahs are still very popular as "Malabar Hookah".
The craft owes it origin to a group of Yemeni merchants who had taken up residence at Koyilandy about 500 years ago. They commissioned the local craftsmen to make hookah, an object of oriental culture. Made by local craftsmen, the Hookah impressed Yemeni traders and soon came to be known as Koyilandy Hookah. Besides being ornately designed with attractive motifs, the Koyilandy Hookahs have a coconut shell as the water holder. Even today, these hookahs are exported to gulf countries.
Economy of Koyilandy revolves around fishing, local businesses and remittance from Gulf.
The railway station at Koyilandy
- Koyilandy Taluk Hospital
- Rakesh Hospital
- Co-operative Hospital
- Aswini Hospital Kollam
- Sarada Hospital
- M.M. Hospital
- Sakalya Ayurveda Hospital
- MINHANS HOMEOPATHY, Multispecialty Clinic. Markaz Building, Near New Bus Stand, Koyilandy, Ph: +91 9446 30 5562, +91 9142 08 4242
Koyilandy assembly constituency is part of Vadakara (Lok Sabha constituency).
Places of interest
- Sree Pisharikavu temple, Kollam
- Sree sakthan kulangara bhagavathi ksetram
- Kollam Parappally Makham (Muslim Dargah) of Thameemul Ansari (R) and the other predecessors of Prophet Muhammed (S,A)-2.5 km from Koyilandy Railway Station
- Viyyur (Kakkulam) Paddy fields
- Viyyur Vishnu Temple, Viyyur
- Kappad Beach
- Kakkayam Dam
- Peruvannamuzhi Dam
- Parappalli Beach
- Thoovappara Beach
- Palakkulam beach
- Urupuniya kavu temple
- Moodadi vishnu temple
- naduvathur siva temple
- kollam chira
- poilkave sree durga devi temple
- Panthalayini Sri Aghora Shiva Temple
- Cheriyamangad Kottayil Shree Durga Bhagavathy Temple
- Kothamangalam Sri Vishnu Temple
- Melur Siva Temple
- Oravingal Bhagavathy Temple
- Manakulangara Bhagavathy Temple
- Korayangad Sree Bhagavathi Temple(Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Puthiyatheru)
- Korayangad Sree Ganapathi Temple (Pazhayatheru)
- Maramuttam Sree Ganapathi Temple
- Payattuvalappil Sree Devi Temple
- Sri Ayyappa Temple Kothamangalam
- Sree Ramakrishna Mutt
- Pulimuttu (Easy Access to Fishing Boats to Shore)
- Sree kidarathil thalachillon devi temple kanayankode
- Thalachilion Temple Kanayankode
- Valiyakath (Masjid & Dargha Makham) - Beach Road Koyilandy
- Indian Public School, Kannoor, Koyilandy
- Puliyancheri UP School, Viyyur
- Puliyancheri LP School, Puliyanchery
- Amrita Vidyalayam, Peruvatoor
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Koyilandy
- CKG Memorial High School
- Panthalayani U.P. school
- Kollam U.P. School
- Govt. Boys Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattam U.P. School, Naderi
- Melur Lower Primary School, Melur, Chengottukave
- Govt. Girls HSS, Koyilandy
- Chengottukave East U.P school, Chengottukave.
- Poilkave High School, Poilkave
- Kalidasa Vidhya Nikethan, Cheliya
- Higher Secondary School, Thiruvangoor
- Govt. Maappilah Vocational Higher Secondary School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam South LP School, Koyilandy
- Kothamangalam Govt.LP School, Koyilandy
- Kavumvattom UP School
- Sri Sathya Sai Vidyapeeth Sri Sailam, Nandi
- Kannoth U.P.School,Keezhariyur,Koyilandy
- Anthata U.P. School
- SVASS Naduvathur
- Jaycee Montissoree School
- Ilahiya HSS, Kappad
- ICS, Koyilandy
- Nambrathkara UP School
- MLPS Nateri
- Arikkulam UP School
- Markaz Public School (khalfan), Koyilandy
- Madrassathu Nasser (Run by Markazzu Ssaqafathi Ssunniyya)
- Vidya Sadanam Model School, Purakkad, Thikkodi
- Sharaful Islam Madrassa, Kollam
- Islamiya Maddrassa (JHM)
- Infinite IT Campus (Govt. Recognized Computer Education Centre [C-DIT and Rutronix ])
- Kuruvangad South UP School
- GVHSS for Boys, Koyilandy
- S.A.R.B.T.M. Govt. College, Muchukunnu
- R.Sankar Memmorial SNDP Yogam Arts and Science College, Koyilandy
- Govt. ITI, Koyilandy
- lahiya arts and science college, Koyilandy
- Sri Sankara Sanskrit university, Nambrathkara,naduvathur(PO)
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koyilandy.
Tue, 30 Jun 2015 17:11:15 -0700
Power supply to different parts of the district will be disrupted on Wednesday. The areas and timings are as follows: Purangra, Azhithala, Sand Banks, Koyilandy Valappu and Valiyavalappu ( 6.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m.); Thenganapparamba, Kannamparamba, ...
Mon, 29 Jun 2015 09:08:35 -0700
Shahid Ahmed at Uttery mosque near Koyilandy in Kozhikode district. Mosque functionaries say that the Imams are driven by the good payment and other privileges receive her during the holy month. “The community is obliged to ensure comfortable living ...
Sun, 28 Jun 2015 17:00:00 -0700
The Koyilandy police, under the headship of Circle Inspector C.R. Haridas, have launched a serious investigation into an incident in which a woman, with the support of two men, secured nearly 400 sovereign of gold and Rs.20 lakh cash from the wife of ...
Mon, 08 Jun 2015 00:36:39 -0700
KOZHIKODE: Tourists reaching Kappad, Thikkodi and other tourism destinations in Koyilandy assembly constituency can soon rely on an exclusive tourist bus to travel from one destination to the other. Local MLA K Dasan is planning to press in a tourist ...
International Business Times, India Edition
International Business Times, India Edition
Fri, 26 Jun 2015 00:50:26 -0700
People in the state have been reporting heat waves, because of which plants and trees charred in Kannur, Kozhikode and Alappuzha coastal regions. Local reports suggest that similar incidents were initially reported from Koyilandy, Thikodi, Iringal ...
The New Indian Express
The New Indian Express
Thu, 21 May 2015 17:33:45 -0700
VADAKARA:The filthy old Koyilandy bus stand site will soon wear a new look. The Municipality is planning to give a facelift to the developing town by rebuilding it into a shopping mall. Municipal chairperson K Santha said the proposed shopping mall, ...
Times of India
Sat, 20 Jun 2015 17:11:15 -0700
Inspections were carried out at Kozhikode, Vadakara and Koyilandy. "We have booked 19 fruit and vegetable venders, 8 grocery shops, and three hotels for not exhibiting price charts. Two other shops were charged for violating directions regarding ...
Times of India
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 17:07:24 -0700
... been reported from Vellimadakunnu, Eranhipalam, Ramanattukkara, Olavanna, Naduvannoor, Beypore, Kakkodi, Thalakulathoor, Palazhy, Peruvayal, Kayanna, Perambra, Koodaranji, Thiruvambadi, Kuttiyadi, Balussery, Mukkom, Feroke and Koyilandy this ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.