|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2011)|
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2010)|
|Konstantinou kai Elenis
Κωνσταντίνου και Ελένης
|Directed by||Kostas Lychnaras|
|Theme music composer||Pascual Marquina Narro|
|Opening theme||"España Cañi"|
|Country of origin||Greece|
|Location(s)||Greece Athens, Marousi|
|Running time||approx. 30 to 40 minutes|
|Original run||September 1998 – June 2000|
Konstantinou kai Elenis (Greek: Κωνσταντίνου και Ελένης; English: Konstantinou kai Elenis) is a Greek sitcom broadcast on ANT1 channel which aired from September 1998 until June 2000. The main stars are Haris Romas, who co-wrote the script along with Anna Hatzisofia, and Eleni Rantou. The character of Manthos is portrayed by Vassilis Koukouras whereas the character of Peggy, Matina and Nicolas are portrayed by Maria Lekaki, Kallirroi Miriagou and Stergios Nenes respectively. The series ran for two seasons, 1998-1999 and 1999-2000, and consisted of 68 episodes. Each episode lasts about 35–40 minutes. Reruns of the series are still being broadcast.
The story revolves around the cohabitation of two people with very different personalities; a lecturer of Byzantine Studies at the University of Athens named Konstantinos Katakouzinos and a waitress named Eleni Vlachaki. The series focuses on the clash of Konstaninos and Eleni's very different personalities as they live together and have to deal with each other.
Konstaninos' uncle dies and leaves two wills appointing as inheritors of his Athens residence, Marousi his nephew, a lecturer of Byzantine Studies at the University of Athens and Eleni, his gardener's daughter. The prospective inheritors and their lawyers do not know which will was written first as the second will would deem the first invalid. As they are both emotionally attached to the house, they decide to compromise and live together until the court's decision.
Konstaninos and Eleni's very different personalities conflict, leading them to major quarrels over sometimes unimportant things. Konstantinos, a narrow minded person obsessed with the Byzantine Empire, is a very conservative character who speaks puristic Greek and is very religious and superstitious. He also dislikes being in the company of others and hates every type of modern entertainment. Eleni works as a waitress at a bar, uses slang and often vulgar words and expressions, and is a very open minded and kind-hearted person. A typical young woman, she enjoys all kinds of modern entertainment and has many friends and many short-lived relationships. In many episodes, their mutual dislike even leads one of the two, or even both, to plot against the other to become the sole inheritor of the house.
Various other subplots play a significant role in many episodes, usually involving the most important supporting characters: Peggy is Eleni's closest friend, a waitress at the same bar and a talentless actress. Manthos, Konstantinos' closest friend and schoolmate, is aa rich paper industrialist who has multiple relationships including his most permanent one, Peggy. Matina is Konstantinos and Eleni's old friend and neibhbour, a civil servant who is single, afraid that she'll die alone, and is obsessed with getting married. Nicolas is the bartender at the bar where Eleni and Peggy work and a very close friend of both.
- Haris Romas as "Konstantinos Katakouzinos": He is a grumpy, narrow-minded Byzantinologist and professor at the University of Athens, who also writes a book called "The sewer system in Byzantium". Every publisher refuses to publish the book.
- Eleni Rantou as "Eleni Vlachaki": She is a nice and kind hearted young woman who works as a waitress. Eleni calls Konstantinos by the nickname "Katakouzina", a pun of his name, "κουζίνα" meaning kitchen in Greek.
- Maria Lekaki as "Peggy Karra": Her real name is Panagiota Carakesaridou. Her dream is to become a famous actress. Her main profession is waiting at the same bar in which Eleni works. She is also Manthos' fianceé and main love, among many.
- Vasilis Koukouras as "Manthos Foustanos": Konstantinos' best friend, with a huge ego. He is a playboy who enjoys having intercourse with many women, even married ones. He is almost always shown to be in a relationship with Peggy during the series. He loves expensive sportscars and enjoys driving his Porsche. He is an industrialist at the paper factory of his father, "Hartex".
- Kallirroi Miriagou as "Matina Mandarinaki": Eleni's second best friend and neighbour. She is a very punctual person who always provides Eleni with food and likes being in her company, even when the latter teases her about her non-existent love life. With no self-esteem, Matina has assured herself that she's probably never going to get married, although she often tries to attract men. She has a constant crush on Konstantinos and Nicolas.
- Stergios Nenes as "Nicolas Varthaculias": He is the bartender in the bar in which Eleni and Peggy work. He drives a Harley Davidson that he hasn't paid off even when after the series' end. He has occasional relationships and rejects Matina.
The show also featured many popular actors and as guest stars in various episodes.
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.