|Date of depopulation||April 22, 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Influence of nearby town's fall|
|Current localities||Ayyelet ha-Shahar and Gadot|
Kirad al-Ghannama was a Palestinian Arab village in the District of Safad. It was depopulated during the 1947–1948 Civil War in Mandatory Palestine on April 22, 1948 by the Palmach's First Battalion of Operation Yiftach. It was located 11 km northeast of Safad. Wadi Mushayrifa ran between the two Kirad villages (al-Ghannama and al-Baqqara) and Wadi Waqqas supplied the village with its water requirements. The village contained the following the khirbas: Khirbat Nijmat al-Subh, Tall al-Qadah, and Tall al-Safa.
In 1945 it had a population of 350 people.
After the 1948 Palestine war, according to the armistice agreements of 1949 Between Israel and Syria, it was determined that a string of villages, including Al-Nuqayb Al-Hamma, Al-Samra in District of Tiberias and Kirad al-Baqqara and Kirad al-Ghannama further north in District of Safad, would be included the demilitarized zone (DMZ) between Israel and Syria. The villagers and their property were formally protected by Article V of the Israeli-Syrian agreement of 20 July that year. However, Israel thought the villagers could pose a security threat, and Israeli settlers and settlement agencies coveted the land. Israel therefore wanted the Palestinian inhabitants, a total of 2,200 villagers, moved to Syria.
In the spring of 1951, Israel decided to assert its sovereignty over the DMZ, including "the transfer of Arab civilians from the area.." On the night of the 30 March they forcibly transferred all the 800 inhabitants of Kirad al-Ghannama and Kirad al-Baqqara to Sha'ab. A United Nations decision allowed the villagers to return, however, Israel pressured them to remain in Sha'ab. In spite of this, many of the villagers returned to their homes in the DMZ. In 1956 Israel expelled the two Khirad-villages again, and this time the sites were physically destroyed and ploughed over. Most of the villagers went to Syria, a few went back to Sha'ab.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in S. Hadawi, Village Statistics, 1945. PLO Research Center, 1970, p.70
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in S. Hadawi, Village Statistics, 1945. PLO Research Center, 1970, p.119
- Morris, 2004, p. xvi, village #42. Also gives cause of depopulation. Morris notes that it was later resettled, followed by expulsion in 1956.
- Morris, 2004, p.512
- UN Doc S/1353 Syria Israel Armistice Agreement of 20 July 1949
- Morris, 1993, p.362
- Morris, 1993, p.362, citing Burns, E. L. M., p.115-18 and Summary of meeting with Prime Minister (of Israel) 4 July 1951.
- Burns, E. L. M. (1962) Between Arab and Israeli. George G. Harrap.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970), Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine, Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center
- Khalidi, Walid (1992), All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948, Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies, ISBN 0-88728-224-5
- Morris, Benny (1993), Israel's Border Wars 1949-1956: Arab Infiltration, Israeli Retaliation, and the Countdown to the Suez War, Oxford, Clarendon Press, ISBN 0-19-827850-0
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
|This geography of Palestine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|