|Name Meaning||lit. "The ruins of the Circassians"|
|Also Spelled||Khirbet as Sarkas|
|Date of depopulation||15 April 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Expulsion by Yishuv forces|
|Current localities||Gan Shemu'el, Talmey El'azar|
The village was founded by Circassians from Russia who were expelled from their country by the armies of the Czar in the 19th century, approximately 1860. The village was abandoned by the Circassians because of a Malaria epidemic. It was then settled by local Muslim Arabs.
Though the Arab Higher Command had ordered the evacuation of the village's women and children three times prior to April 1948, the villagers did not leave. Described by Benny Morris as "a friendly village", it was nonetheless one of the villages depopulated at the order of the Israeli Haganah, per their policy to clear the coastal plain of Arab villages in the lead up to the 1948 Arab-Israeli war. The women and children left between 20 April and 22 April 1948, and the men a few days later.
- Morris, 2004, p.xviii village #178. Also gives cause of depopulation
- "Welcome to Khirbat al-Sarkas". Palestine Remembered. Retrieved 2007-12-18.
- Morris, 2004, p.245
- Hadawi, Sami (1970), Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine, Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center
- Khalidi, Walid (1992), All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948, Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies, ISBN 0-88728-224-5
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
|This Palestine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|