|Initial release||May 31, 2005|
|Stable release||2.6.3 (15 May 2013) [±]|
|Preview release||2.6 RC3 (18 January 2013) [±]|
|Written in||C++ (Qt, KDE Platform)|
|Operating system||Unix-like, Windows|
|Type||Visual database management front-end|
|License||mostly LGPL, minor use of GPL|
Kexi is an integrated data management application by KDE, designed to fill the gap between spreadsheets and database solutions requiring more sophisticated development. Kexi can be used for designing and implementing databases, data inserting and processing, and performing queries.
The impetus for developing Kexi came from a noticeable lack of applications having the features of Microsoft Access, FoxPro, Oracle Forms or FileMaker while at the same time being powerful, inexpensive, open-standards-driven and sufficiently portable.
Kexi is a component of Calligra Suite. It works under Linux/Unix, Mac OS X (using Fink), Solaris, and the Microsoft Windows (using KDE on Windows) operating systems. Kexi application and libraries is available under the LGPL. User and developer documentation is available under the GFDL.
Although Kexi was a KOffice project since the beginning, the first release was independent of KOffice. The first public beta release of Kexi was version 0.1 beta 2 on January 22, 2004 . The first stable release was 0.9 – made available on May 31, 2005 . A Kexi version with a lower version number – 0.8 – was shipped afterward with KOffice 1.4 on June 21, 2005 . Further stable versions of Kexi were released with KOffice 1.5 and 1.6 in 2006.
From 2004 until 2007 OpenOffice Polska made commercial Kexi releases using release years as version numbers. The first release was Kexi 2004 LT on November 24, 2004 The commercial releases concluded with Kexi 2007.1 in March 2007 based on Kexi 1.1.2/1.1.3.based on Kexi 0.1.
The porting process to KDE Platform 4 took rather long and was finished with the release of KOffice 2.2 in May 2010. Among its new features was a new Report Designer plug-in to replace the KOffice 1.6 stand-alone reporting application Kugar. Kexi 2.3 was released with KOffice 2.3 on December 31, 2010 with – among other features – a reworked Project Navigator pane.
After the KOffice 2.3 release, Kexi moved into Calligra Suite and both were released as version 2.4 on April 11, 2012 The most user-visible change was a redone main user interface dubbed Modern Menu..
It can also work without a server, by utilizing the built-in SQLite 3 database engine. Forms can be created to provide a custom interface to data, and are stored within the database. In 1.x version simple reports can be printed or previewed. Version 2.2 – the first release of the second generation – introduced full-featured report designer and previewer. Scripting using Python and Ruby is available as well as application macros, similar to those in Microsoft Access (in experimental stage). All database objects – tables, queries, forms, etc. – are stored in a single database file, making it easy to share data and design.
Application can also import data (tables) from external data sources (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft Access files, dBASE files) and export data to MySQL or PostgreSQL servers. There is rich support for importing and exporting CSV files. Handling Microsoft SQL Server/Sybase and Oracle databases is in testing phase.
If SQLite is used, the resulting database file can be manipulated using many other SQLite tools.
See also 
- Calligra 2.6.3 Released
- "Kexi License". Kexi Project. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- http://kde.org/support/thanks.php (archived version)
- "Sponsorship Thanks". Kexi Project. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Kexi 0.1 beta 2 Announcement". Kexi Project. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Kexi – Older News". Kexi Project. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "KOffice 1.4 Released | KDE.news". Dot.kde.org. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "KOffice 1.5 Released | KDE.news". Dot.kde.org. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "KOffice 1.6 Released | KDE.news". Dot.kde.org. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 2007-12-03. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 2007-11-03. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Blog Archive » KOffice 2.2 Released". KOffice.org. 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Kexi/Releases/Kexi 2.2 - KDE Community Wiki". Community.kde.org. 2012-04-27. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Kexi Project - "Microsoft Access for Linux" - Development". Kexi.automatix.de. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Blog Archive » KOffice 2.3.0 Released". KOffice.org. 2010-12-31. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Kexi/Releases/Kexi 2.3 - KDE Community Wiki". Community.kde.org. 2012-04-27. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Calligra 2.4 Released | Calligra Suite". Calligra.org. 2012-04-11. Retrieved 2012-05-01.
- "Kexi/Releases/Kexi 2.4 - KDE Community Wiki". Community.kde.org. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2012-05-01.