Keswick School of Industrial Art (KSIA) was founded in 1884 by Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley and his wife Edith as an evening class of repoussé metalwork in the Crosthwaite Parish Rooms, just outside Keswick, Cumbria.
The building was designed by the Lancaster architects Paley, Austin and Paley at an estimated cost of £1,300. Rawnsley was a defender of the Lake District, and a friend of John Ruskin and Beatrix Potter. His art and writings laid the foundation of the Arts and Crafts movement.
The School prospered and swiftly developed a reputation for high quality copper and silver decorative metalwork. By 1890 the School was exhibiting nationally and winning prizes.
The school closed in 1984, having faced increasing pressure from imported goods.
Keswick Museum and Art Gallery displays many of the school's works.
- The Arts and Crafts Movement in the Lake District: a Social History by Jennie Brunton. ISBN 978-1-86220-111-8
- The Loving Eye and Skilful Hand: The Keswick School of Industrial Arts by Ian Bruce. (2001) published by Bookcase.
|This article about an art or artists' organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.