Ruined facade of Katapady Beedu,the manor of the erstwhile Bunt rulers of Katapady
|• Body||Grama Panchayat|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Udupi|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kaup|
|Civic agency||Grama Panchayat|
Katapady is a village near Udupi in Karnataka, India. It is situated at the junction of National Highway 17 and the roads leading to Matti and Shankarapura. Katapadi is surrounded by lush green fields, rivers and a beautiful beach. Katapadi is well known for Matti Gulla (a type of eggplant), Kambala and jasmine (mallige in Tulu). The name Katapadi is derived from "Kattu paadi' which means "tie it down" in Tulu. Apparently the place is named Katapadi after a lost horse which was found and tied down here.
Katapadi Known for cultural and religious diversity is home for many faiths. Katapadi Venkataramana Temple is one of the oldest G.S.B temple of Karnataka and known for its annual fest ( Rathostva -Car festival). Shri Vishwanath Temple is another major temple of Billva community. Durgaparmeshwari temple and Chokkadi Mahalingeshwara temple are other community temple around Katapadi.
Other than the annual temple car festivals, the festival and urus, Katapadi celebrates Kambala (a traditional buffalo race) every year in January.
SVS Primary School and SVS Pre University Colleges are among the oldest schools in Karnataka. SVS Primary School completed its centenary year recently.
Katapadi has weekly markets known as sante (in Kannada), which is like flea market.
National Highway NH-66 passes through Katapady. Udupi is 7 km from Katapady.
- Dayanand Shetty (actor)
- Dayananda Bangera (cricketer)
- Uday Kumar Y. (cricketer)
- Master Hussain Saheb (retired teacher from S.V.S Primary School - the first person to start typing classes in Katapady and kaup in 1956)
- Fakir Mohammed Katpadi(Kannada Writter is actively associated with Samudya, a radical-progressive cultural movement in Karnataka) Awarded with Katha Puraskar, Kannada Sahitya Akademi award & Kannada Rajyotsava award.
- Udupi, Well known temple city of Southern India. Also known for its Udupi cuisine and restaurants.
- Pajaka Kshetra, Madhwaacharya's birthplace is about 5 kilometers from Katapadi.
- Kaup, known for its lighthouse and beach.
- Mattu, known for its beach,
- Manipal, a university town.