|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2007)|
|• Body||Municipal Council (Nagarpanchayat)|
|• Total||8.46 km2 (3.27 sq mi)|
|Elevation||42 m (138 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Area code(s)||91 - 2367|
Kankavli is a census town in Sindhudurg district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is an important town due to its central location in the Sindhudurg district. All talukas are of an equal distance from Kankavli. There is a temple of Swyambhu Ravalnath and Bhalchandra Maharaj. The city is situated in between two rivers. It is a cultural, educational and politically rich town.
Location and Weather
Kankavli is located in south-west Maharashtra. It has an elevation of 42 metres. Kankavli is situated on the banks of two Rivers, the Gad River and the Janavli River. It is surrounded by villages like Nagawe, Bidwadi, Kalmath, and Halval. It is an important railway station on the Konkan Railway route as major trains stop here. Kankavli town is 460 km from Mumbai along the NH 17 and 137 km from Ratnagiri.
Kankavli's climate is a blend of coastal and inland climate of Maharashtra. The temperature has a relatively narrow range between 20 °C to 40 °C. Weather in Kankavli from October to May is humid. Maximum temperatures rarely exceed 40 °C and typically range between 33 to 35 °C. Lows during this season are around 20 °C to 26 °C. The city receives abundant rainfall from June to September due to its proximity to the Western Ghats and Arabian Sea. Temperatures are low in the rainy season and range between 19 °C to 30 °C. The winter temperatures are a bit higher compared to other towns. Lows range from 12 °C to 18 °C while highs are in the range of 26 °C to 32 °C. Humidity is low in this season making weather much more pleasant. Flooding is not a problem as Kankavli lies on a higher altitude than the sea level.
Villages in Kankavli taluka include:
- Harkul (Budruk)
- Harkul (Khurd)
- Phonda Ghat
- Pise kamate
- Halwal village -is situated 5 km away from Kankavali railway station.It is famous for "Rayval" mangoes (a variety of mangoes which are less sweeter than popular "Hapus" or "Alphanso" mangoes) and "Jambul"(Jamun fruit). Due to its proximity with the main city, most of the people travel to city most frequently.
- Varawade village - Narayan Tatu Rane (Ex C.M. Maharashtra state) happens to be from Varawade village which incidentally is in this taluka.
- Sangave village have a very popular Shree Rameshwar Mandir. The temple has a great historical and aesthetic value. It is a Swayambhu Devasthan. Dahikala and Saptah is celebrated every year in Rameshwar Temple. And most popular river name was Gad Nadi, continuous running throughout the year.
- Kumbhavade village is situated 18 km away from kankavli. They have a very popular Shree Mahalingeshwar Mandir. The temple has a great historical and aesthetic value. It is a Swayambhu Devasthan. Mahashivratri Jatra is held every year. The jatra is held for people to seek the blessings of their Kuldaivat Shri Mahalingeshwar God.
- Nardave Village is 30 km away to the east of Kankavli. This place is in the Sahyadri Range Mountain from Nardave Gargoti, District Kolhapur is just 15–20 km away by mountain roads. Mata Ambadevi is gram devata of this village. Beautiful Temple of Ambadevi, Vithala Devi, Ravalnath, Bramhandev are in this village. Bhairav Gad is situated at North-East direction of this village. Navratra, Dahikala, Harinam Saptah is celebrated every year with great devotion. At the end of village, Nardave dam is being constructed which is one of the biggest dam in locality.
- Kalmath Village is just 1.5 km away from Kankavli. This place is known for their Kalam mango, Hapus mango, cashew nuts and karvande(a local fruit). Kalmath is also known for its Masjid (mosque) built in 1960, one of the first built in this region. Built on a grand scale, it has an important historical value. There is no authentic proof about history of the village as no inscription or grant is to be seen for long time
- Nandgaon is just 12.5 km away from Kankavli. a small town on the national highway NH 17 well its a road junction the southbound road goes to Goa the northbound road goes to Mumbai the westbound road goes to Devgad the eastbound road goes to Phondaghat(Kolhapur/Nippani); the southbound one wadi is Patilwadi their well known Dattmandir his founder Dattram Patil.
- Harkul (Khurd) is just 18 km from Kankavli a small village near to phondaghat. The village is located near to phonda town. The village is surrounded by sahyadri hill and there are various Wadi like Mahul wadi, Tembi wadi, Dongare wadi, Kubhar wadi etc which forms harkul khurd village. Shingoba is the holy place which is located at the top of the Mountain. generally people of Harkul village come to Phonda market for their daily requirements. Karkul village is located just 6 kms from Phonda ST Bus Depot. Mata Pavana devi is gram devata of this village.Harinam Saptah is celebrated every year with great devotion.
As of 2011[update] India census, Kankavli had a population of 16398. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Kankavli is the third biggest town in Sindhudurg District after Sawantwadi and Malvan. Kankavli has an average literacy rate of 77%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 79%, and female literacy is 74%. In Kankavli, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
|Climate data for Kankavli|
|Average high °C (°F)||27
|Average low °C (°F)||22
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||0.8
|Source: World Weather Online|
The place is also famous for Sindhudurg Shikshan Prasarak Mandal's College of Engineering (SSPM). Kankavli is also known as the educational town of the district. St.Ursula School (Varawade), S.M. Highschool and Vidyamandir Highschool are the famous schools. Akhil Nardave Gramoddhar Sangh, Mumbai runs a Highschool in village Nardave "Nardave English School Nardave" from year 1952.
Kankavli Town is centrally located from Kolhapur and Ratnagiri. Kankavli has recently come into the limelight as a result of politics. It is a Vidhansabha constituency of former Chief Minister of Maharashtra Mr.Narayan Rane and had witnessed many political disputes between political party members due to dynamic changes in the state's politics in recent times. Kankavli has its own Nagarpanchayat (Municipal Council) (local authority), a Panchayat Samitee office, Tehsildar Office, Taluka Court, and other administrative offices. Mr.Vinayak Raut is the MP(ShivSena) from the Ratnagiri - Sindhudurg Loksabha Constituency. Mr.Nitesh Narayan Rane is the MLA (INC) from the Kankavli-Devgad Vidhansabha Constituency.
Tourist Places in Kankavli
|Next 'Small' station towards Mumbai:
|Konkan Railway : Railway (India)||Next 'Small' station from Mumbai:
|Distance from Mumbai(CST) = 0587 km|
|Next 'Main' station towards Mumbai:
|Konkan Railway : Railway (India)||Next 'Main' station from Mumbai:
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.