|Industry||Manufacture & Distribution of Sugar|
Group Managing Director
Number of employees
The main factories of the company are located in the town of Kakira, in Jinja District, Eastern Uganda. This location lies approximately 16 kilometres (9.9 mi), by road, northeast of Jinja, the nearest large town. Kakira is located approximately 100 kilometres (62 mi), by road, east of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the main factory are:0°30'36.0"N, 33°17'24.0"E (Latitude:0.5100; Longitude:33.2900). In addition to the factories in Kakira, the company maintains a corporate office along 5th Street, in Bugoloobi, in Kampala Industrial Area, and offices and warehouses, in Kakira, Jinja and Kampala.
Kinyara Sugar Works in Masindi District is Uganda's second-largest sugar manufacturer, accounting for about 31% of annual national output. Sugar Corporation of Uganda Limited (SCOUL), in Buikwe District, accounts for about 17% of national production. The remaining 5% (about 15,000 metric tonnes annually), is produced by Sango Bay Estates Limited, in Sango Bay, Rakai District.
The sugar produced by the companies is marketed to the Eastern African countries of South Sudan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda. Kakira Sugar Works is the flagship business of the Madhvani Group of Companies, the largest conglomerate in Uganda, accounting for over 10% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Uganda in 2010.
In 1918, the Vithaldas Haridas & Company, under the management of Muljibhai Madhvani, a twenty-four year old Indian-born Ugandan businessman, entrepreneur, industrialist and philanthropist, purchased 800 acres (3.2 km2) of land, in Kakira, between Jinja and Iganga, for the purpose of starting a sugar factory. Muljibhai later became the Managing Director of Vithaldas Haridas & Company. That sugar complex, later renamed Kakira Sugar Works, opened in 1930. By adding to the original parcel of land, through purchases, the company land holdings at Kakira, were in excess of 9,500 hectares (37 sq mi), as of April 2009. The sugar manufacturing complex at Kakira employs over 7,500 people, according to the company website.
Kakira Sugar Works is a (100%) subsidiary of the Madhvani Group, based in Kakira, Uganda. The Group's shareholding is private and is not widely, publicly known.
As of November 2013[update], Kakira Sugar Works Limited is in the middle a US$75 million (about UGX:191 billion) factory expansion and upgrade. US$30 million (about UGX:76.5 billion), will be raised through a 10-year corporate bond on the Uganda Securities Exchange, and the remainder will be sourced from local banks. When the upgrade is completed, the factory's sugarcane crushing capacity will be increased to 7,500 tonnes per day. The co-generation capacity of Kakira Power Station, will also increase from 22 Megawatts to 52 Megawatts.
- "Road Distance Between Jinja And Kakira With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Map Showing Kampala And Kakira With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Kakira Sugar Works At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Among, Barbara (8 December 2008). "Kakira Doubles Sugar Production". New Vision. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Ojambo, Fred (5 April 2011). "Ugandan Sugar Producers Plan to Invest $197 Million to Expand, Diversify". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- Annual Production & Market Share Among Uganda's Sugar Manufacturers
- KSW, . (2011). "Kakira Sugar Works: Our History". Kakira Sugar Works (KSW). Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Odongo, Jacobs (29 July 2008). "From India, Penniless, Madhvani Made A Fortune In Uganda". New Vision. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Kulabako, Faridah (15 November 2013). "Kakira Sugar Issues Shs76 Billion Bond To Raise Capital For Expansion". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Website of Kakira Sugar Works
- Profile of Muljibhai Madhvani At Newvision.co.ug
- Uganda's Total Annual Sugar Production To Hit 350,000 Metric Tonnes In 2011
- Website of Uganda Sugar Cane Technologists’ Association (USCTA)
- Madhvani Group In US$30 Million Bond On The USE