Joanna Angel in 2009
December 25, 1980 |
Brooklyn, New York
|Height||4 ft 11 in (1.50 m)|
|Weight||96 lb (44 kg)|
|No. of adult films||136 as actress, 79 as director (per IAFD)|
Joanna Angel (born Joanna Mostov, December 25, 1980) is an American alternative pornographic actress, director and writer of adult films. She uses her real first name of Joanna for her stage name.
Mostov was born in Brooklyn, New York, to a Jewish Israeli mother and an American father. She was raised in River Edge in Bergen County, New Jersey, where she attended Cherry Hill Elementary School and graduated from River Dell High School in 1998. After graduating at age 17 she enrolled in Rutgers University, where she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature with a minor in Film Studies.
After finishing her degree, she relocated to the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, New York, and created together with Mitch Fontaine the website BurningAngel, a hardcore adult site catering to an emerging genre dubbed alt porn, while she danced as a stripper at night. Her website followed in the footsteps of the very popular SuicideGirls, which she has referred to as "the McDonald's of alt porn." When asked whether she thought that alt porn was turning into a movement she stated, "I think it's a movement. I think I've started something."
Joanna has written, produced, directed and starred in films available exclusively through Burning Angel as well as appearing in more traditionally distributed adult films. She was under an exclusive contract with VCA Pictures which expired in March 2007, and was, at one time, represented by the adult talent agency Bad Ass Models.
Following the success of Burning Angel, Angel has been featured in numerous magazines and newspapers, including The New York Times. She was nominated in 2006 for the AVN Awards for both "Best New Starlet" and "Best Actress", and although she won neither, she did take home the award for "Most Outrageous Sex Scene" for her appearance in Re-Penetrator.
In 2010, Angel appeared in a public service announcement for the Free Speech Coalition on the topic of internet piracy of adult content, directed by Michael Whiteacre. The spot, entitled the "FSC All-Star Anti-Piracy PSA", found her in the company of adult performers such as Lisa Ann, Julie Meadows, Kimberly Kane, Ron Jeremy, and Wicked Pictures contract stars Alektra Blue and Kaylani Lei.
In 2011, she was named by CNBC as one of the 12 most popular stars in porn. CNBC noted that she owns her own studio and that the "punk look" that she and her other actors share has created a new genre in the porn industry called alt porn.
In 2011, she made a cameo on the Adult Swim show Childrens Hospital, in the season 3 episode "Night Shift". She played herself as a pornstar, and family friend of Rob Corddry's character Dr Blake.
In 2013, Burning Angel produced The Walking Dead: A Hardcore Parody, an adult spoof of The Walking Dead. In response to criticism over the decision to employ "yellowface" instead of an Asian actor to portray the Korean-American character Glenn Rhee, Angel stated "Alright, I know some of you lame asses were offended by me turning someone non-Asian into someone Asian, but Danny is an important member of the Burning Angel family and I really wanted him in this movie – and he actually has a lot of similar features as Glenn and made the most sense to play him. Around election time, I aged Danny about 60 years and turned him into Joe Biden. In Evil Head, we gave him an 80's looking wig. I was not doing this to make fun of anyone of any race – I did this because it was a parody. So all you over-sensitive PC people: calm down".  This declaration did little to quell detractors such as Jezebel.com, which responded by writing, "I did it because it was a parody, isn't exactly a defense; ironically it's more of an explanation of why people found it offensive, as the whole meaning of parody is to imitate something for the purpose of ridicule. Angel found a black actress to play the part of Katana-swinging Michonne. One has to wonder if she had been forced to cast a white actress, would she have put her in blackface? Or would that have been crossing the line?" 
- 2006 AVN Award – Most Outrageous Sex Scene – Re-Penetrator (with Tommy Pistol)
- 2007 AVN Award – Best Sex Comedy – Joanna's Angels 2: Alt Throttle (Performer and Director)
- 2007 XBIZ Award – Crossover Move of the Year
- 2008 XRCO Award – Best On-Screen Chemistry (with James Deen)
- 2008 AVN Award – Best Specialty Release, Other Genre – Cum on My Tattoo 3
- 2011 AVN Award – Best Porn Star Website – JoannaAngel.com
- 2011 AVN Award – Best Solo Sex Scene – Rebel Girl
- 2013 AVN Award – Best Porn Star Website – JoannaAngel.com
- 2013 AVN Award – Best Solo Sex Scene – Joanna Angel: Filthy Whore
- 2014 AVN Award – Best Porn Star Website – JoannaAngel.com (tied with AsaAkira.com)
- Levin, Eric (December 19, 2007). "A Woman on Top". New Jersey Monthly (January 2008). Retrieved December 31, 2012. "Possibly the world’s first Jewish punk porn star with a BA from Rutgers, Oradell native Joanna Angel calls the shots on both sides of the camera and minds the bottom line.... Joanna (real name) Angel (stage name) grew up in an orthodox Jewish family, graduated from Riverdell High School in Oradell, and earned a BA in English from Rutgers in 2003."
- Joanna Angel at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Foxley, David (April 18, 2007). "She's No Angel: Punk Princess of Porn". Observer. Retrieved September 27, 2012.
- Smooha, Shahar (July 12, 2007). "'Each time it's more fun’". Haaretz. Retrieved July 23, 2007.
- Loftus, Cindi (April 2007). "Joanna Angel". Xcitement Magazine. Archived from the original on September 29, 2007. Retrieved June 23, 2007.
- "Joanna Angel Interview". Wanted List. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Joanna Angel Interview". Hustler World. Archived from the original on March 10, 2009. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- Lanham, Robert (May 1, 2005). "Wearing Nothing but Attitude". New York Times. Archived at RobertLanham.com.
- Milne, Carly (2005). Naked Ambition. New York: Carroll & Graf. ISBN 978-0-7867-1590-9.
- "Nominations 2009 AVN Adult Movie Awards" (PDF). AVN. November 25, 2008. Archived from the original on March 27, 2009. Retrieved November 26, 2008.
- Kravets, David (April 29, 2010). "Porn Stars Decry Piracy in New Video (SFW)". Wired.com.
- Mokey, Nick (April 30, 2010). "Adult Film Stars' Plea: Please Pay for Porn". Digital Trends.
- FSCAPAP (April 20, 2010). "FSC All-Star Anti-Piracy PSA (texted version)". YouTube.
- Morris, Chris (January 5, 2011). "The Dirty Dozen: Porn's Most Popular Stars". CNBC.
- "Sound Wave Superior | Emmure | Music Video | MTV". MTV Networks. June 20, 2008. Retrieved April 1, 2012.
- "Joanna Angel on Adult Swim's Childrens Hospital!". Joanna Angel Official Blog. January 26, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Childrens Hospital": Season 3, Episode 11 at the Internet Movie Database
- Rhee, N'jaila (11 February 2013). "Yellowface and the Adult Film Industry's Asian American Problem". racebending.com. Racebending. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- Morrissey, Tracie (31 January 2013). "Walking Dead Porn Parody Relies on Yellowface". jezebel.com. Jezebel. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "How To Date A Porn Star: My Night Out With Joanna Angel In Las Vegas". Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "2006 AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN. January 9, 2006. Retrieved July 22, 2007.
- "AVN Awards Past Winners". AVN. Retrieved July 17, 2009.
- "XBIZ Award Winners". XBIZ. February 2011.
- "XRCO". XRCO.com. Retrieved February 23, 2008.
- "2008 AVN Award Winners Announced". AVN. Retrieved March 12, 2009.
- "AVN Announces the Winners of the 2011 AVN Awards". AVN. January 9, 2011. Retrieved January 9, 2011.
- "And Now... The 2013 AVN Award Winners!". AVN.com. 2013-01-20. Retrieved 2013-01-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joanna Angel.|
- Official website
- Joanna Angel on Myspace
- Joanna Angel Interview at pornochromatic
- Joanna Angel at the Internet Movie Database
- Joanna Angel at the Internet Adult Film Database
- Joanna Angel at the Adult Film Database