Jerry Magee, a newspaper columnist, was a sports writer in San Diego for 52 years, retiring from the San Diego Union-Tribune in 2008. He began his career more than five decades earlier at the then-San Diego Union and also wrote for Pro Football Weekly.
His first job newspaper job was as a copyboy at the Omaha World-Herald, where one of his tasks was to mix flower and water into the paste used by copy readers. He joined the San Diego Union-Tribune in 1956.
Magee was called "an American Football League apologist" by his contemporaries who covered NFL football, adopting it himself and regularly quoting it. He took on what he has called the "NFL apologists," including William Wallace, sports columnist with The New York Times, and Jerry Green of the Detroit Free Press, in Magee's attempt to puncture what he called "NFL myths."
Upon Magee's retirement in September 2008, the Union-Tribune published a tribute article about Magee that was written by people he covered and worked with, including former San Diego Chargers running back Hank Bauer.
In 1987, Magee was given the Dick McCann Memorial Award from the Professional Football Writers of America organization, which is handed out to reporters who have made "a long and distinguished contribution" to pro football through coverage.
- Graney, Ed (June 29, 2011). "Tennis, anyone? Not right now in the United States". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- Norwood, Robynn (July 27, 2007). "And you get your own plane". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- San Diego Union-Tribune, About Jerry Magee
- San Diego Union-Tribune, "Iconic Raiders owner helped mold NFL," October 8, 2011
- "American Football League Contributors". Unofficial "American Football League Hall of Fame" at the Coniglio family website. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
- "About Jerry Magee: Stories about the Union-Tribune's longtime sportswriter," September 27, 2008
- San Diego City Council docket, "October 29, 2008 to be 'Jerry Magee Day' in San Diego," October 27, 2008
- Pro Football Writers, "PFWA Announces Winners' (scroll down to previous winners)
- American Football League players, coaches and contributors
- San Diego Union-Tribune Staff articles by Jerry Magee
|This article about a sportswriter from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|