For the first studio album by the pop rock band The Turtles see It Ain't Me Babe (album).
"It Ain't Me Babe" is a song by Bob Dylan that originally appeared on his fourth album Another Side of Bob Dylan, which was released in 1964 by Columbia Records. According to music critic Oliver Trager, this song, along with others on the album, marked a departure for Dylan as he began to explore the possibilities of language and deeper levels of the human experience. Within a year of its release, the song was picked up as a single by artists who were forging the folk rock movement, including The Turtles and The Byrds.
Dylan's biographers generally agree that the song owes its inspiration to his former girlfriend Suze Rotolo. He reportedly began writing the song during his visit to Italy in 1963 while searching for Rotolo, who was studying there.
Clinton Heylin reports that a Times reporter at a May 1964 Royal Festival Hall concert where Dylan first played "It Ain't Me" took the lines "no, no, no, it ain't me babe" as a parody of The Beatles' "She Loves You".
Notable covers and references
- Jan & Dean covered "It Ain't Me Babe" on their 1965 album, Folk 'n Roll.
- "It Ain't Me Babe" was among many Dylan songs recorded by Joan Baez in the early years of their careers. Baez's version appeared on Joan Baez/5, which also included "Go 'Way From My Window." Additionally, Baez's version from 1967 Live In Japan also contains the song. She sang a duet of this song with Dylan at Newport Folk Festival in 1964, as can be seen in The Other Side of the Mirror (film).
- Davy Jones covered the song on his 1965 self-titled debut album and released it as a single in 1967.
- Fleet Foxes covered "It Ain't Me Babe" as part of BBC 6 Music HUB session in 2009.
- In the film Blow, George Jung (played by Johnny Depp) recites a line from "It Ain't Me Babe" while on trial for marijuana possession with intent to distribute.
- Editors covered the song on Dermot O'Leary's Saturday Sessions album in 2010.
- The Brazilian singer Mallu Magalhães covered the song in her first performances, one of them included on her DVD.
- Ô Paradis covered the song on the 2008 album "Pequeñas canciones de amor".
- The Australian country and folk band The Lees covered the song on their 'Welcome Road" album in 2010.
- Tom Fletcher of British band McFly and wife Giovanna cover the song for his YouTube channel in 2013.
- ^ a b Trager, Oliver (2004). Keys to the Rain: The Definitive Bob Dylan Encyclopedia. Billboard Books. pp. 14–15, 314–315. ISBN 0-8230-7974-0.
- ^ Sounes, Howard (2001). Down The Highway: The Life Of Bob Dylan. Grove Press. pp. 157, 177. ISBN 0-8021-1686-8.
- ^ a b Gill, Andy (2011). Bob Dylan: The Stories Behind the Songs 1962–1969. Carlton Books. p. 85. ISBN 978-1-84732-759-8.
- ^ Heylin, Clinton (2001). Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades Revisited. HarperCollins. p. 154. ISBN 0-06-052569-X.
- ^ http://www.openculture.com/2012/06/the_1969_bob_dylan-johnny_cash_sessions_twelve_rare_recordings.html
- ^ Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 19 - Blowin' in the Wind: Pop discovers folk music. [Part 2]" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu.
Elgin Courier News
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 14:11:15 -0700
Other Turtles hits include: “She'd Rather Be With Me,” “Elenore,” “You Showed Me” and “It Ain't Me Babe.” Chuck Negron co-founded the band Three Dog Night, which created unforgettable songs like “Joy to the World,” “Black and White,” “Mama Told Me Not ...
Sydney Morning Herald
Ultimate Classic Rock
Fri, 08 Aug 2014 06:12:08 -0700
But even though Dylan delivered an album of mostly love songs, that doesn't mean that he had become a pie-eyed “moon/June” balladeer. 'All I Really Want to Do' and 'It Ain't Me, Babe' — the opener and closer, respectively — showed the narrator ...
Lexington Herald Leader
Lexington Herald Leader
Sat, 09 Aug 2014 15:18:45 -0700
A certain degree even filtered into The Turtles' music, from the golden lyricism of Eleonore, She's My Girl, You Baby and You Showed Me to the transformation of Bob Dylan's folkish kiss-off anthem It Ain't Me Babe into a blast of radio-friendly rock 'n ...
Fall River Herald News
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:03:56 -0700
“It Ain't Me Babe” was every bit the neatly re-done gem it was way back then, folk-rock imbued with Beach Boys-style vocals, which was a natural effect given that the Turtles were basically California teenagers at the time. 1968's “Elenore” was a more ...
Sat, 02 Aug 2014 02:00:00 -0700
The hits keep coming: Ring of Fire, Folsom Prison Blues, Jackson, It Ain't Me Babe and Help Me Make It Through The Night. The best song of the bunch, however, was perhaps the most obscure. Cash's cover of the Nine Inch Nails song Hurt, was performed in ...
Albany Times Union (blog)
Albany Times Union (blog)
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:26:15 -0700
The hits are represented — “It Ain't Me Babe,” “Boy Named Sue,” “Folsom Prison Blues,” the title number — as are novelties like “Egg Suckin' Dog,” narratives (“Look at Them Beans”) and bleaker material related to Cash's drug addiction and brushes ...
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:48:45 -0700
... All I Really Want To Do/Black Crow Blues/Spanish Harlem Incident/Chimes Of Freedom/I Shall Be Free No. 10/To Ramona/Motorpsycho Nightmare/My Back Pages/I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)/Ballad In Plain D/It Ain't Me, Babe ...
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 05:00:00 -0700
Niekoľko skladieb naspieval aj s už zosnulou manželkou June Carter - napríklad Jackson, If I Were a Carpenter alebo It Ain't Me, Babe. Tiež sa postaral o slávnu coververziu piesne Hurt, ktorú pôvodne nahrala kapela Nine Inch Nails. Casha uviedli okrem ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about It Ain't Me Babe with people all over the world in our discussions.