"It Ain't Me Babe" is a song by Bob Dylan that originally appeared on his fourth album Another Side of Bob Dylan, which was released in 1964 by Columbia Records. According to music critic Oliver Trager, this song, along with others on the album, marked a departure for Dylan as he began to explore the possibilities of language and deeper levels of the human experience. Within a year of its release, the song was picked up as a single by artists who were forging the folk rock movement, including The Turtles and The Byrds.
Dylan's biographers generally agree that the song owes its inspiration to his former girlfriend Suze Rotolo. He reportedly began writing the song during his visit to Italy in 1963 while searching for Rotolo, who was studying there.
Clinton Heylin reports that a Times reporter at a May 1964 Royal Festival Hall concert where Dylan first played "It Ain't Me" took the lines "no, no, no, it ain't me babe" as a parody of The Beatles' "She Loves You".
Notable covers and references
- "It Ain't Me Babe" was among many Dylan songs recorded by Joan Baez in the early years of their careers. Baez's version appeared on Joan Baez/5, which also included "Go 'Way From My Window." Additionally, Baez's version from 1967 Live In Japan also contains the song. She sang a duet of this song with Dylan at Newport Folk Festival in 1964, as can be seen in The Other Side of the Mirror (film).
- Jan & Dean covered "It Ain't Me Babe" on their 1965 album, Folk 'n Roll.
- Davy Jones covered the song on his 1965 self-titled debut album and released it as a single in 1967.
- Fleet Foxes covered "It Ain't Me Babe" as part of BBC 6 Music HUB session in 2009.
- In the film Blow, George Jung (played by Johnny Depp) recites a line from "It Ain't Me Babe" while on trial for marijuana possession with intent to distribute.
- Editors covered the song on Dermot O'Leary's Saturday Sessions album in 2010.
- The Brazilian singer Mallu Magalhães covered the song in her first performances, one of them included on her DVD.
- Ô Paradis covered the song on the 2008 album "Pequeñas canciones de amor".
- The Australian country and folk band The Lees covered the song on their 'Welcome Road" album in 2010.
- Tom Fletcher of British band McFly and wife Giovanna cover the song for his YouTube channel in 2013.
- ^ a b Trager, Oliver (2004). Keys to the Rain: The Definitive Bob Dylan Encyclopedia. Billboard Books. pp. 14–15, 314–315. ISBN 0-8230-7974-0.
- ^ Sounes, Howard (2001). Down The Highway: The Life Of Bob Dylan. Grove Press. pp. 157, 177. ISBN 0-8021-1686-8.
- ^ a b Gill, Andy (2011). Bob Dylan: The Stories Behind the Songs 1962–1969. Carlton Books. p. 85. ISBN 978-1-84732-759-8.
- ^ Heylin, Clinton (2001). Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades Revisited. HarperCollins. p. 154. ISBN 0-06-052569-X.
- ^ http://www.openculture.com/2012/06/the_1969_bob_dylan-johnny_cash_sessions_twelve_rare_recordings.html
- ^ Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 19 - Blowin' in the Wind: Pop discovers folk music. [Part 2]" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu.
Walk the line - It Ain´t Me Babe
O.S.T. Walk the line Joaquin Phoenix Reese Witherspoon.
IT AIN'T ME BABE - THE TURTLES 1965.
Own nothing here,just another great oldie Enjoy, and Buy Their CD's THE USE OF ANY COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IS USED UNDER THE GUIDELINES OF "FAIR USE" IN TITLE 1...
It Ain't Me Babe - Bob Dylan (5/4/65) Bootleg
5/7/65 - Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England.
It ain't me babe - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash
1973 - In Australia. Watch more of this show @http://www.johnny-cash-infocenter.com http://www.johnnycash.com Join the Johnny Cash infocenter facebook: http:...
Johnny Cash & June Carter - It Ain't Me, Babe
Johnny Cash June Carter - It Ain't Me, Babe.
Joan Baez - It Ain't Me Babe - BBC "In Concert" Show (1965)
BBC "In Concert" Show (1965)
Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon-It Aint Me,Babe (Lyrics)
Go away from my window Leave at your own chosen speed I'm not the one you want, babe I'm not the one you need You say you're lookin' for someone Who's never ...
Miley Cyrus - It Ain't Me Babe (Omaha)
CenturyLink Center 3/7/14.
The Turtles - It Ain't Me Babe (Shindig - Sep 30, 1965)
PLEASE NOTE: I divided my uploads between multiple channels, Bookmark this link in your browser for instant access to an index with links to all of John1948'...
It Ain't Me Babe-Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Whiterspoon with Lyrics
Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Whiterspoon play It Ain't Me Babe from the movie Walk The Line (2008)
Sun, 20 Apr 2014 19:48:45 -0700
There was the ecstatic sing-along stomp of Hare Krishna chant “Bow Down Mister,” the simple but elegantly lyrical guitar line of the dusky “Any Road” and the quiet acoustic interlude of “It Ain't Me Babe” (during which he snapped “Oh, shut the ...
We Love DC
Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:01:59 -0700
At a point about two-thirds through the main set, he attempted to engage audience enthusiasm for an acoustic cover of “It Ain't Me Babe” by Bob Dylan. After realizing that the dance-hungry crowd wasn't going to focus enough for the quiet hush of the ...
Tue, 08 Apr 2014 10:37:30 -0700
IT AIN'T ME BABE: In the Victim State, Nancy Pelosi sees a double-standard imposed on her and women in political power. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi picked up the resentment torch a day later, decrying what the California liberal sees as ...
Tue, 01 Apr 2014 22:35:20 -0700
About that acoustic set: Based on her last few set lists, you can expect Cyrus to sing three or four soulful renditions of hits old ("Jolene" by Dolly Parton, Cyrus' godmother; Bob Dylan's "It Ain't Me Babe") and new (Lana Del Rey's "Summertime Sadness ...
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:31:23 -0700
In the 1960s, Cash retooled himself for the folk revival, recording a number of Dylan songs ("It Ain't Me Babe," "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right"), appearing on the Dylan album Nashville Skyline, and even recording a protest album focusing on the ...
St. George Daily Spectrum
Thu, 27 Mar 2014 17:36:32 -0700
There's Cash and his wife, June Carter Cash, displaying Dylan's crossover appeal with a country-rock take on “It Ain't Me Babe.” The Cash family (Rosanne also appears later on with Carpenter and Shawn Colvin) is not the only element of country royalty ...
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 21:30:00 -0700
But it ain't me, babe. As George got out the kerosene lanterns in case the lights remained off into the evening, I fretted over the food. We had plenty to drink, but not much to eat. The stove has an electronic ignition — no power, no oven — so the ...
The Record (New Westminster)
Wed, 26 Mar 2014 20:24:50 -0700
And for musical memories there was Bob Dylan (It Ain't Me Babe), Roger Miller (King of the Road), the Beach Boys (I Get Around) along with, you guessed it, The Beatles with their many hits. So there is a sample of memory triggers, things that really ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about It Ain't Me Babe with people all over the world in our discussions.