For the first studio album by the pop rock band The Turtles see It Ain't Me Babe (album).
"It Ain't Me Babe" is a song by Bob Dylan that originally appeared on his fourth album Another Side of Bob Dylan, which was released in 1964 by Columbia Records. According to music critic Oliver Trager, this song, along with others on the album, marked a departure for Dylan as he began to explore the possibilities of language and deeper levels of the human experience. Within a year of its release, the song was picked up as a single by artists who were forging the folk rock movement, including The Turtles and The Byrds.
Dylan's biographers generally agree that the song owes its inspiration to his former girlfriend Suze Rotolo. He reportedly began writing the song during his visit to Italy in 1963 while searching for Rotolo, who was studying there.
Clinton Heylin reports that a Times reporter at a May 1964 Royal Festival Hall concert where Dylan first played "It Ain't Me" took the lines "no, no, no, it ain't me babe" as a parody of The Beatles' "She Loves You".
Notable covers and references
- Jan & Dean covered "It Ain't Me Babe" on their 1965 album, Folk 'n Roll.
- "It Ain't Me Babe" was among many Dylan songs recorded by Joan Baez in the early years of their careers. Baez's version appeared on Joan Baez/5, which also included "Go 'Way From My Window." Additionally, Baez's version from 1967 Live In Japan also contains the song. She sang a duet of this song with Dylan at Newport Folk Festival in 1964, as can be seen in The Other Side of the Mirror (film).
- Davy Jones covered the song on his 1965 self-titled debut album and released it as a single in 1967.
- Fleet Foxes covered "It Ain't Me Babe" as part of BBC 6 Music HUB session in 2009.
- In the film Blow, George Jung (played by Johnny Depp) recites a line from "It Ain't Me Babe" while on trial for marijuana possession with intent to distribute.
- Editors covered the song on Dermot O'Leary's Saturday Sessions album in 2010.
- The Brazilian singer Mallu Magalhães covered the song in her first performances, one of them included on her DVD.
- Ô Paradis covered the song on the 2008 album "Pequeñas canciones de amor".
- The Australian country and folk band The Lees covered the song on their 'Welcome Road" album in 2010.
- Tom Fletcher of British band McFly and wife Giovanna cover the song for his YouTube channel in 2013.
- ^ a b Trager, Oliver (2004). Keys to the Rain: The Definitive Bob Dylan Encyclopedia. Billboard Books. pp. 14–15, 314–315. ISBN 0-8230-7974-0.
- ^ Sounes, Howard (2001). Down The Highway: The Life Of Bob Dylan. Grove Press. pp. 157, 177. ISBN 0-8021-1686-8.
- ^ a b Gill, Andy (2011). Bob Dylan: The Stories Behind the Songs 1962–1969. Carlton Books. p. 85. ISBN 978-1-84732-759-8.
- ^ Heylin, Clinton (2001). Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades Revisited. HarperCollins. p. 154. ISBN 0-06-052569-X.
- ^ http://www.openculture.com/2012/06/the_1969_bob_dylan-johnny_cash_sessions_twelve_rare_recordings.html
- ^ Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 19 - Blowin' in the Wind: Pop discovers folk music. [Part 2]" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu.
It Ain't Me Babe - Bob Dylan (5/4/65) Bootleg
5/7/65 - Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England.
Walk the line - It Ain´t Me Babe
O.S.T. Walk the line Joaquin Phoenix Reese Witherspoon.
It ain't me babe - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash
1973 - In Australia. Watch more of this show @http://www.johnny-cash-infocenter.com http://www.johnnycash.com Join the Johnny Cash infocenter facebook: http:...
IT AIN'T ME BABE - THE TURTLES 1965.
Own nothing here,just another great oldie Enjoy, and Buy Their CD's THE USE OF ANY COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL IS USED UNDER THE GUIDELINES OF "FAIR USE" IN TITLE 1...
Johnny Cash & June Carter - It Ain't Me, Babe
Johnny Cash June Carter - It Ain't Me, Babe.
Joan Baez - It Ain't Me Babe - BBC "In Concert" Show (1965)
BBC "In Concert" Show (1965)
Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon-It Aint Me,Babe (Lyrics)
Go away from my window Leave at your own chosen speed I'm not the one you want, babe I'm not the one you need You say you're lookin' for someone Who's never ...
The Turtles - It Ain't Me Babe (Shindig - Sep 30, 1965)
The Turtles were one of the more enjoyable American pop groups of the 1960s, moving from folk-rock inspired by the Byrds to a sparkling fusion of Zombies-inspired chamber-pop and straight-ahead...
The TURTLES ~ "IT AIN'T ME BABE" 1965 HD AUDIO
"It Ain't Me Babe" is The Turtles first studio album from 1965. Written by Bob Dylan, the album contained 3 other songs which Dylan composed.
Miley Cyrus - It Ain't Me Babe (Omaha)
CenturyLink Center 3/7/14.
Fri, 04 Jul 2014 06:52:30 -0700
... Who's never weak but always strong Bm am To protect you an' defend you Bm am Whether you are right or wrong C D Someone to open each and every door G But it ain't me, babe C D G C D G No, no, no, it ain't me babev It ain't me you're lookin' for ...
Albany Times Union
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:03:45 -0700
The hits are represented — "It Ain't Me Babe," "Boy Named Sue," "Folsom Prison Blues," the title number — as are novelties like "Dirty Old Egg-Suckin' Dog," narratives ("Look at Them Beans") and bleaker material related to Cash's drug addiction and ...
Fall River Herald News
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 09:03:56 -0700
“It Ain't Me Babe” was every bit the neatly re-done gem it was way back then, folk-rock imbued with Beach Boys-style vocals, which was a natural effect given that the Turtles were basically California teenagers at the time. 1968's “Elenore” was a more ...
Tue, 15 Jul 2014 07:14:15 -0700
That string began in 1965 with a spirited cover of Bob Dylan's "It Ain't Me Babe" and continued through "You Baby," "Happy Together," "She'd Rather Be With Me," "You Know What I Mean," "She's My Girl," "Elenore" and "You Showed Me." 2. It gives people ...
The Desert Sun
Thu, 10 Jul 2014 20:55:56 -0700
At the time, the Turtles had achieved a measure of popularity with a cover of Bob Dylan's “It Ain't Me Babe.” The single, released in 1965, around the time the Byrds were also having success with their chiming pop versions of Dylan songs, became a top ...
The Flint Journal
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 10:26:15 -0700
October Flint Art Walk Lauren Justice | MLive.com Charleen Cook, of Flint Township, sings and dances as Troy Morris plays "It Ain't Me Babe" on the guitarat the Flint Art Walk October 12 in downtown Flint. Cook says, "if I hear a song I like I gotta ...
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:48:45 -0700
... All I Really Want To Do/Black Crow Blues/Spanish Harlem Incident/Chimes Of Freedom/I Shall Be Free No. 10/To Ramona/Motorpsycho Nightmare/My Back Pages/I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)/Ballad In Plain D/It Ain't Me, Babe ...
Sun, 13 Jul 2014 12:53:46 -0700
Hits include "It Ain't Me Babe." Sang backup for Bruce Springsteen's "Hungry Heart" in 1980. Gary Lewis and the Playboys: Reached No. 1 in 1965 with "This Diamond Ring," written by Al Kooper of Blood, Sweat & Tears fame with Bob Brass and Irwin Levine.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about It Ain't Me Babe with people all over the world in our discussions.