Irondequoit Bay is a large body of water located in northeastern Monroe County, New York. The bay, roughly 0.5 miles (0.80 km) wide and 4 miles (6.4 km) in length, is fed by Irondequoit Creek to the south and flows into Lake Ontario at its northern end. On average, the surface of Irondequoit Bay rests at 245 feet (75 m) above sea level and is 80 feet (24 m) deep at its deepest point a short distance north of the Irondequoit Bay Bridge carrying the six-lane New York State Route 104 over the bay.
The center of the bay acts as the eastern border for the town of Irondequoit and the western border of the towns of Penfield and Webster. The Irondequoit–Penfield boundary continues along the center of Irondequoit Creek south of the New York State Route 404 float bridge.
During the past million years there were four glacial ages that covered the Rochester area with ice and impacted the geography of the area. The most recent glacier that left evidence here was about 100,000 years ago and it caused compression of the earth by as much as 2,500 feet (760 m). About 12,000 years ago, the area underwent massive changes, which included the rerouting of the Genesee River and other water bodies. Since the earth rebounded from the melting glaciers more rapidly in Canada than in New York, water from Lake Ontario was spilled over New York due to its lower elevation. During this time, the original outlet of the Genesee River was flooded out, creating Irondequoit Bay.
On a French map of the area from 1688 titled "Le Lac Ontario" Irondequoit Bay was referred to as the "swamp of the Senecas". Prior to the 1840s, the bay was known as "Teoronto Bay." 
Seven parks abut the bay:
- Devil's Cove Park, Webster
- Ellison Park, Penfield
- Irondequoit Bay Marine Park, Irondequoit
- Irondequoit Bay Park East, Penfield
- Irondequoit Bay Park West, Irondequoit
- LaSalle's Landing Park, Penfield
- Sandbar Park, Webster
- ^ a b United States Geological Survey. Rochester East, NY Quadrangle (Map). http://msrmaps.com/imageinfo.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X=368&Y=5985&W=3. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- ^ "Geology: 100,000 years ago". Rochester's History: An Illustrated Timeline. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- ^ "Geology: 12,000 years ago". Rochester's History: An Illustrated Timeline. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- ^ "1688 Map of Lake Ontario". Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- ^ David Y. Allen. "French Mapping of New York and New England, 1604-1760". Stony Brook University. Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- ^ "1829 Map of Monroe County, New York". Retrieved 2008-07-11.
- ^ "Map of the Town of Webster, Monroe County". Town Map Series. Rochester, New York: GIS Services Division, Department of Environmental Services. 2012-01-04. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- ^ a b c "Map of the Town of Penfield, Monroe County". Town Map Series. Rochester, New York: GIS Services Division, Department of Environmental Services. 2012-01-04. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- ^ a b "Map of the Town of Irondequoit, Monroe County". Town Map Series. Rochester, New York: GIS Services Division, Department of Environmental Services. 2012-01-04. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- ^ "Sandbar Park". Facilities. Webster, New York: Webster Parks and Recreation Department. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
Coordinates: 43°12′18″N 77°31′50″W / 43.20493°N 77.53052°W
Irondequoit Bay- Summer of 2009
Irondequoit Bay- Summer of 2009.
Kayaking South of Irondequoit Bay
Letting the stream drift me south of Irondequoit bay. I think I'm actually in the Ellison dog park at this point in time. Just letting the current roll.
Irondequoit Bay Park West Mountain Biking 6/16/12
Slow ride thru Bay Park West.
Irondequoit Bay-The Summer of 2010
Flight into Rochester, Ny at the end you can see Irondequoit Bay Bridge ( 104 ) Where we live.
Flying into Rochester International Airport Oct 30, 2011 your able to see at the end Irondequoit Bay and the Irondequoit Bay Bridge, and Sea Breeze Amusement...
Irondequoit Bay Outlet Bridge
NY State DEC stocks lake herring into Lake Ontario's Irondequoit Bay
Scientists gathered at Irondequoit Bay on the morning of December 20, 2012 to stock the lake with 10000 lake herring in an effort to replenish an important ...
Irondequoit Bay - Wet N' Wild 20011 part 2
This video was uploaded from an Android phone.
Ice Fishing on Irondequoit Bay
Fishing on The Bay across the street from the house. 70feet deep in some spots.
Irondequoit Bay Birds 'n Flight - My Second Hand Rose
Lively musical romp of water fowl, gathered at the Irondequoit Bay, in Western, NY. Videos taken February 26, 2011, by Linda Lee. Set to the music, "Second H...
Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
Thu, 09 May 2013 14:23:30 -0700
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will dredge Irondequoit Bay and the Port of Rochester in 2014, U.S. Rep. Louise Slaughter announced Thursday. Both bodies of water got a heavy load of sediment during Superstorm Sandy last October, and Slaughter ...
Wed, 08 May 2013 09:55:49 -0700
Irondequoit, N.Y. - The DEC is trying to figure out what's causing hundreds of fish to die in Irondequoit Bay. People complained when the fish started floating up on the North end of the bay over the past month or so. The DEC has sent out samples for ...
Wed, 15 May 2013 00:47:09 -0700
Already the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has found sediment deposits from Sandy in Irondequoit Bay and the Port of Rochester and will begin dredging in 2014. The Port of Rochester imports $2 million worth of goods every year, and since 2008, 97,000 ...
Tue, 14 May 2013 15:27:46 -0700
Siver and his partner were 70 feet down in Irondequoit Bay when trouble struck. Siver signaled that he was having trouble breathing. By the time they got to the top of the water, Officer Siver was unconscious. Efforts to revive him with CPR Failed ...
Tue, 14 May 2013 11:17:14 -0700
The Army Corps of Engineers has already conducted similar reviews and found the Port of Rochester and Irondequoit Bay require dredging. The projects will begin in 2014, according to Schumer. Online producer Robert Harding can be reached at 282-2220 ...
Sat, 11 May 2013 20:52:02 -0700
Webster, N.Y. –Webster resident Amy Warner has lived along the Irondequoit Bay her entire life. “I think it's the most beautiful place in the world,” Warner said. Warner bought her home on Lake Road overlooking the Bay in September 2012. Four months ...
Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:50:44 -0700
Rick Reagan at Jay-Vee Tackle in Rochester gets word of good bullhead presence but so-so perch activity in Irondequoit Bay. Reagan has had better ringback responses from Braddock Bay and Long Pond shallows. Olcott Pier casters and shoreline trollers ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Irondequoit Bay with people all over the world in our discussions.