The use of Internet in Slovenia is widespread; according to official polls in the first quarter of 2008, 58% citizens between the ages 10 and 74 were Internet users, which is above Europe's average. In the same period, 59% households (85% of which through broadband) and 97% companies with 10 or more employed (84% of those through broadband) had Internet access. In 2011, 73% households had Internet access, and 67% households had broadband. As of 2011, 29% of Slovenians have never used Internet.
The country's top-level domain is .si. It is administered by ARNES, the Academic and Research Network of Slovenia. The organization also provides access to educational and research institutions. Other major providers are Telekom Slovenije (under the trademark SiOL), Telemach, AMIS and T-2. Slovenian ISPs provide ADSL; ADSL2+, VDSL, SHDSL, VDSL2 and FTTH.
Slovenia is noted as one of the leading European countries by the percentage of users who browse the web using Mozilla Firefox. In 2007, 47.9% page requests were made with Firefox, more than in any other European country.
The first IP connection in the country was established between Jožef Stefan Institute and the Dutch NIKHEF institute in October 1991. The laboratory for open systems and networks at the Jožef Stefan Institute housed the primary domain server for the .yu domain at the time. .si top-level domain was registered in 1992 after Slovenia gained independence, however the use of .yu TLD continued for several years and only in the second half of the 1990s was the registry transferred to University of Belgrade. Similarly, the use of X.400 and X.25 protocols by ARNES continued for several years due to established European research institutes' preference for ISO/OSI standards.
In a telephone poll of households in 1996, 6.5% of population declared themselves as Internet users, although the number was probably overestimated due to methodological problems.
- (2008-10-01) Internet usage in households and by individuals, Slovenia, 1st quarter 2008. Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia. Accessed 2009-03-22.
- "Internet Usage in Europe". Internet World Stats. Accessed 2009-04-30.
- (2008-10-01) Internet usage in enterprises with 10 or more persons employed, Slovenia, 1st quarter 2008. Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia. Accessed 2009-03-22.
- "Internet access and use in 2011: Almost a quarter of persons aged 16-74 in the EU27 have never used the internet". Eurostat Press Office. 14 December 2011.
- (2008-12-02). Internet access and use in the EU27 in 2008. Eurostat news release. Accessed 2009-03-22.
- (2007-07-18) Firefox narrowly misses 28% use in Europe Internet Explorer under 70%. AT Internet Institute. Accessed 2009-03-22.
- Jerman-Blažič B. Kako je internet prišel v Slovenijo (How the Internet came to Slovenia). (Slovene)
- Raba interneta v Sloveniji (Internet use in Slovenia). Centre for Methodology and Informatics, Faculty of Social Sciences, Ljubljana. Accessed 2009-03-22. (Slovene)
- RIS - Raba Interneta v Sloveniji; a non-profit research project tracking the use of Internet in Slovenia
- SISPA - Slovene Internet Service Provider Association