||This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)|
The International Commission for Optics (ICO) was created in 1947 with the objective to contribute to the progress and dissemination of knowledge in optics.
Among the activities of ICO are the organization and sponsorship of congresses, meetings and schools. It is having a Traveling Lecturer Program, a periodical newsletter, series of book publishing, and awards — in optics and related disciplines.
ICO Presidents 
- 2005-2008: Prof. Ari T. Friberg, Royal Institute of Technology, Department of Microelectronics and Information Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2008-2011: * Prof. Maria L. Calvo, Complutense University of Madrid (UCM), Department of Optics, Madrid, Spain.
See also 
- ICO awards (ICO Prize, Galileo Galilei Award, Gallieno Denardo ICO/ICTP Award, IUPAP Young Scientist Prize in Optics).
International Societies Members:
- Optical Society of America
- European Optical Society
- IEEE Photonics Society
- International Society on Optics Within Life Science OWLS
- African Laser, Atomic, Molecular and Optical Sciences Network (LAM Network)
Other related societies:
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.